Why to love your old jeep !

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Why to love your old jeep !

Post by Wolfman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:27 am

Old Jeeps are a marvelous piece of engineering. Easy to maintain. Reliable and when needed, serviceable and easy to work on.
My point ?
The modern, rocket science alternative.
5:30 A.M. The phone rings. It's my youngest daughter. She is on her way to work in her 2010 Acadia (GMC) and warning lights are coming on, on the dash and the "information center :?: " is telling her the battery or charging system has failed. :twisted:
My first question, Is the engine overheating ? No, but the heater blower is slowing down. Not the flat belt. A new battery. It is in the floor board behind the front passenger seat. I know. I just changed it in her driveway when it was -18'F. :twisted:
Must be the Alternator.
Where are you ? 10 miles out. Turn around. Turn everything off electrical you can that you don't need and get back to the shop, ASAP.
It is still dark and now 6 A.M. so I am under the hood with a flashlight and I don't see anything that looks like an alternator. While I am looking, she is playing with her cell phone. One of those fancy flat screen things you can use to get on the internet. She is not typing. She is talking to it. " How do you change an alternator on a 2010 Acadia ? " Shortly, she sticks the phone in my face, Full details on how to do it. All 15 steps. ( Reverse the order to put it back together. ) Only takes 4 - 5 hours. You just dismantle the right front corner of the engine compartment. Take all the fancy covers off. Remove the fluid reservoir, top radiator hose, power steering hose brackets, part of the wiring harness, Etc. Etc. Jack it up and go in from the bottom to get the flat, accessory belt off. :twisted: Don't forget to take the ground cable off first. In the back seat floor.
It even listed the cost at the local dealer to have it done there. $981.00. :shock:
I'm great ! No applause please. I did it in 4.5 hours and it's my first time, on one of these ( I'll be nice ! ) Things! I look like I went through a major battle with a wild cat and only thought I might need a stich or 2 and a minor blood transfusion.
Moral of the story. Love your old Jeep !! They are a great piece of engineering and the designer should be very proud !!
And if you lose the alternator on your Acadia, DON'T CALL ME !! Get a firm grip on your check book and call your favorite dealer.
Oh! And it's my daughter. She says she will pay me for the "parts", when she gets her tax check in a couple weeks. :roll:
Kids. You gotta love em !! 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Re: Why to love your old jeep !

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 am

I feel your pain... however I've learned to use my Visa card!

Last week my 2012 Chevy 3/4 ton had some heater actuator go out and no heat or defrost on the drivers side. My dealer's service manager lives next to me and takes in my truck, $300 part plus $250... $550 total and I could have screwed with it for days if I tried to fix it. :shock:

This week I had my 2015 trailer serviced after about 10K on it. Bearing and seals are cheap Chinese Crimp One Off and need replacing with the driver side brake shoes also needing replacement as grease from the leaking seals bleep them up... almost the same in parts and labor as for the truck, $575. :shock:

Make your daughter take you to dinner plus cost of parts! :lol: :wink: :wink:
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:57 am

Good idea, Mark. Right after she pays for all the parts I have put on her car, over the last year. After her "Tax Check" comes in. ( This wasn't the first problem. Just the next. )
Knowing her, and don't get me wrong, I really do love the young lady, but after all these years I know her pretty well. After the meal, she will mysteriously have forgotten her purse. :lol:
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

HankII
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by HankII » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 am

After the meal, she will mysteriously have forgotten her purse
No Biggie. She can pay using her Smartphone. ....

DonAdams7.jpg
DonAdams7.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:52 am

:lol:
Good point, Hank.
Good chance she won't remember to bring her purse,
But I will Guarantee she won't forget her smart phone !!
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”