ww2 hero

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

ww2 hero

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 pm

OK, i have been on this site a while now, so i feel its time to tell you about my Dad. Born in Yugoslavia (now Serbia) my Dad came here to England in 1946. Dad never spoke about the war, except once when i bought my first Willys MB, i restored it and Dad came to see it and said "What have you got that for" ? My reply was "Its a bit of fun Dad". He snarled back" Oh and the war was fun was it". He never spoke about WW2 again, although he warmed to the jeep eventually. In 1975, Dad took us to Yugoslevia to meet his family.( Extremely emotional). Anyway the one day we went to see the family grave, which was the most wierdest experience of my life. There on the gravestone was Dads name, with his date of birth and death on it. It said he was killed sometime in 1944 And there he was standing next to me, with a tear in his eye! It was never talked about again. In February 2004, Dad passed away. At his Funeral, i noticed a couple of old gentlemen there, shedding a tear. I invited them to the family wake, but they politely declined. Two weeks later, Mom was sat at home, there was a knock at the door. On answering, Mom saw one of these gents who was at Dads grave, he never spoke, but handed her an envelope, tipped his hat and walked off. Mom read the letter then showed it me. What i read left me proud and gobsmacked. Dad was a resistance fighter. He and a comrade managed to blow up 12 German aircraft, as well as fightihg for the "cause". He was captured in late 1944 near the Italian border, and held in a prisoner of war camp. Left to rot, he was rescued by the British army in early 46 and came to England. He wrote and let his family know that he was safe and well in 1958. Hence thats why they thought he had been killed. So, yes my Dad has two graves. So thats Dads story, and im glad to share it with you guys. Dad was a better man than what i am, and far, far braver, he is my hero, i just wish he would of shared this with us, but he never said a word. On Rememberance Sundays over here, all the units who served are remembered with pride, and rightly so, but they never seem to remember the resistance units.R.I.P. Dad.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: ww2 hero

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello Mark,

Blessed are the Peacemakers !
That is a great story of your family history, I am sure that there were bad times over there fighting the
Germans and even locals that sided with them, by themselves against the most powerful enemy in history.
It is hard to imagine, The Resistance, needs to be remembered and honored for their contributions and sacrifices.
The US Fliers that were shot down, well remember Yugoslavians that helped them escape back to Allied lines.
The French resistance paid a very high price as did all the resistance groups around Europe.

Thanks to your Father and your Family for their sacrifices, that made a safe and peaceful world for us all !!

Best Regards,

Ray

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Ray, thankyou for your magnificent reply, Dad took so many memories with him when he passed away, if it wasnt for his comrade, it would have been lost forever.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 am

There are no winners in a war.
It is a loss to all. But when it happens, we owe a tremendous respect and gratitude to those that fought for our freedom. Our lives would not be the same today if not for them.
Sad that after all the world has been through and suffered, the best prospect for continued peace is to maintain a military that would make starting a war to high a price to pay. Hopefully !!
For all who have served and are serving, Thank You !
For those that served and have gone before us, R.I.P.
Don't worry about not talking about it, Mark.
Nothing personal. Just a combat veteran thing. We know the details. You don't need to and hopefully will never get the chance to find out, personally.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:02 am

Yes, thank you for sharing the story with us, Mark. you must be very proud. :|

It is quite common for those who have seen the worst in War to talk the least about it. My father rarely said much until the last few years of his life when I started restoring my MZ.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks for your comments Mike and Mark. The comment you made Mark about those who have seen the worst of the war rarely talk about it empitamises my Dad, he never opened up. Some years ago ,myself, my son and dad were in a bad car crash on our way to fishing. The three of us miraculously got out without a scratch. Whilst we were waiting for a recovery truck, me and my son got the shakes, delayed shock. What was Dad doing ? He was sat in his deckchair by the side of the road sipping a cup of tea, reading his newspaper. I looked at how calm he was, and it crossed my mind then "WHAT HAS HE BEEN THROUGH TO REMAIN THIS CALM". I never pushed it though, knowing Dad he wouldnt have opened up about it. I make sure i tell my family what a hero he was though.

sjalbert
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by sjalbert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 am

I had the privilege when I was in the Navy to be an Assistant Scoutmaster of a troop where most of the fathers were veterans of the Vietnam War. These men would not / could not sleep in the woods at night. After the boys fell asleep they would sit around the fire and talk about things that they'd never discuss with someone who wasn't there. I believe that I know as much about what they experienced as is possible for someone who didn't live it.

Those men and women who have fought for the ideals that they believe in deserve our respect.
Seth
1944 MB 349858, 20620361
1942 MBT 10968 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=149552
1942 MBT 15799, USA 0217497 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=225199
MVPA # 8587
Com / Inst. SMEL
CFII - ASEL
KI5LYB

Collecting Willys Engine Info. Please send me Engine #, Casting Date & Machining Date if known

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 pm

Absolutely spot on Seth.

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm

great story, thank you for sharing.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:23 am

Glad to share it Rondo, i was a bit apprehensive about posting this, but im really glad i did, as you guys appreciate it,thankyou. :D

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:19 am

Fantastic story, Mark. Sorry you weren't able to learn your father's history directly from him, but glad you were still able to learn it in the long run. He was a true hero and you, and your family, should be (and sounds like you are) extremely proud. It's interesting the experiences veterans have and how and when they decide, if ever, to share them. I had two neighbors growing up who were WWII veterans. One was a B-25 pilot in Europe while the other was an Army artillery officer in the Pacific. Both, at every chance they got, shared their stories with me and my family. It almost seemed like a way they could vent about their experiences, as I heard most of their stories over and over throughout the years (though, always appreciated hearing them directly them men who actually experienced it first hand). The artillery officer, specifically, would frequently mention that lack of interest his own family had in his war experiences. Makes me think that he took every opportunity to talk to anyone else about his experiences if they showed even the slightest interest.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:38 am

It is tough on both sides of a conversation, about combat. Not just being in a war.
Being in a war zone wasn't all bad. It was just the combat part that sucked !!
Friends and family are apprehensive about asking. They are afraid of what they may hear.
We don't talk because we don't want to upset them and really don't want to tell them.
So, nobody talks or ask.
Not all bad.
When ask what I did, I just answer, planted flowers. Gave out chocolate bars. Talked about home with my buddies and waited to get back.
That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 am

Thanks for the perspective, Mike. A difficult topic to understand for those of us who haven't served. Thank you to those who have, though! And thank you for providing some insight into a veteran's thoughts around sharing combat and war experiences.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 am

I understand how difficult it must be to talk about experiences, and fully respect that. A good friend of mine told me his dad was in the merchant navy during the war. I asked if his Dad had seen any action, and he always said that his Dad had a reatively quiet time in the war. Again after his Dad died, he was told by his Dads friend, that he was shipwrecked twice due to being torpedoed, and had saved lives. Sounds familiar doesnt it, another hero, without us realising it, but anyone who served is a hero. :D

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”