Installation of the Pitman arm on sector shaft

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
arnhem1
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Installation of the Pitman arm on sector shaft

Post by arnhem1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 am

So I've never done any kind of steering box work before. I need to know if the steering wheel has to be in a certain position before installing the Pitman arm on the sector shaft. I'm assuming the steering wheel needs to be at the centre point and the mount the Pitman so it's straight down in centre. Does this make sense?
Thanks

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Installation of the Pitman arm on sector shaft

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 am

Yes, but....

With the wheels straight ahead and the Pitman arm attached to the draglink and the draglink properly tightened at both ends.... just put the Pitman arm a little bit. Now, jack up the jeep so the front wheels are off the ground. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and to the left and the stoppers on the axle should stop the turn. If the sector shaft/steering box will not permit you to turn the wheel until you hit the stops then the pitman are needs to be removed and adjusted so it can hit both sides/stops.

Be sure the stops are symmetrical and you should be OK once you can turn the wheel all the way to the right or to the left and you can then fit the Pitman arm down and install washer/nut.

Otherwise, you will find that out in a nice big parking lot that while you can turn a tight radius going one way, you can't on the other and will have to remove the Pitman arm to adjust for that.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 am

I usually refer to original for the position to install the arm. It pays to retain parts such as these to make installation accurate.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 am

Certainly makes sense & on the right path....
centre the steering box....there should be a noticeable tight spot
the steering wheel centre spoke should be vertically downward
hold in this position
now work backward....
look @ TM 10 1513 a free download from www.jeepdraw.com
section 1400 page 116 figure 5 & ensure the bellcrank is located precisely as represented [hold in this position]
this is when to check that the 'showing tie rod end threads' into the tie rods all look similar
being dissimilar will cause/result in the turns issue Chuck raised
fit the drag link [correct way round with grease nipples correctly positioned for future servicing] to both the bellcrank & pitman [drop] arm
the pitman arm can now be mated/aligned with the sector splines without moving road wheels, bell crank, sector shaft or steering wheel
torque the securing nut noting there should be threads showing outside the nut when done

Some may find that their pitman arm & sector are marked with a stamped alignment line.
If this is a new pitman arm or sector shaft one needs to check other G503 threads on poor quality pitmans that don't go on the splines far enough & some sectors that actually fail/break in service.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:51 am

I think that after you replace everything and are sure you have 100% of the turning radius the steering box will allow that at that point you can double check the position of the steering wheel...I overhauled the draglink and afterwards took the jeep for a ride on smooth level ground (parking lot) and brought the jeep slowly to a dead stop. At that point I discovered that I did not have one of the steering wheel spokes at the 6 o'clock position so I simply removed the wheel with the jeep sitting right there and reinstalled. Now when I go down the road on a straight level stretch it pretty much stays at the 6 o'clock position +/- something for the crowning of the road itself.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 am

It should be noted:
Most important aspect of all this is the steering box is perfectly centred & @ it's designed tight spot.
Only then should one be considering removing & re-indexing the steering wheel so a spoke is @ the 6 o'clock position.
Once these 2 things are right [& held] work backwards up to fitting the pitman arm to the sector shaft splines.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pm

As artificer has noted...there is a sequence to this:

Bottom line is you should be able to count the turns L/R and when you are dead center you should feel that tight spot in the middle. This might be influenced by where the adjusting screw on the side of the steering box is when you attempt to do this.

I strongly suggest checking the bellcrank ball and the draglink springs/adjustments prior to installing the pitman arm though...no sense in doing a steering box/pitman are servicing only to discover you had a broken spring in the DL and/or an egg-shaped ball on the bellcrank that required it be replaced as well. Once all that is done, install the pitman arm, center up the steering wheel spokes and go drive that jeep!

The steering was all over the place on my GPW when I got it, and it wandered when you drove it! I tried to adjust the steering box screw by when I got in there I could wiggle the draglink all over the place which indicated it was not assembled correctly and/or it had a broken spring or two. It was the spring that was broken and once the DL was overhauled, the bellcrank ball inspected and the pitman arm installed and a slight adjustment of the steering box screw completed, it reduced steering slop from several inches to a couple inches which seems to be what other jeeps have using this type steering set up.
Chuck Lutz

Bantam T3-C 1947

Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Lew Ladwig » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm

There should be an index mark on the shaft and arm. Line them up.
Be aware that the Omix shafts have failed and should be replaced. Some crown shafts have splines that are a tad fat and only allow the arm to seat 60%. It should seat 95%.
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
BSA Crew 42 Advisor, 9th ID reenactors
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's
1-'45 gpw in full resto mode

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”