Any electrical genius out there?

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
CarloPel
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Any electrical genius out there?

Post by CarloPel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 am

I just acquired this 42 GPW that has EXTENSIVE electrical wiring installed. NO idea what it all is, even though I've done a ton of electrical wiring. Found this 5 relay panel under the dash, and a 12 position switch panel on the dash.
Wondering if this is some after market electrical upgrade?
I'm assuming I will have to tear it all out and go back to an original wiring harness.

If anyone has any idea what this hash-up is, please let me know.

img https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oyN8 ... sp=sharing /img

img https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oyN8 ... sp=sharing /img
CarloPel
Just acquired a '42 GPW46943

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Any electrical genius out there?

Post by W. Winget » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:04 am

Looks like they had lights strung up, possibly a CB as well, Nylon Zip ties tell you it's post war (post 80's) I would snip the zip ties and slowly pull out each wire, snipping them off if you have to when you hit a panel hole or such.

More important, the dash does not come off a WWII jeep, so yours needs some other work done as well. Is your steering column coming through your dash? not on a WWII jeep....darn bubbas
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

CarloPel
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by CarloPel » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:11 am

The wiring is one of the least problems I have. The engine is a Buick V-6, the tilt steering column is from some GM product, still determining what tranny/transfer case I have. They lifted the suspension to make room for huge tires.
Just tore out an under-dash heater along with that relay panel. No original guages left.

I do plan to do as you suggested and started eliminating wires as I go. Lots of them are not even attached to anything.
CarloPel

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Carlo....maybe you just remove ALL the wiring and count a new harness as a part of the restoration. With the V-6 and the tilt-wheel set up in there they may even have used a CJ front axle/rear axle....

You have a major project in front of you...trying to sort out which wires are which is the least of them so maybe starting over with a new harness would be the best course of action.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 am

Was the guy you got this from, a car show freak ??
I had a friend that promoted car shows and built show cars.
His first was called, " The Coke Machine ". A Bucket T with a working Coke machine on the back.
Then he built " The Hustler ". A custom car with a real slate bed pool table on the back you could play on.
Then he built " The Cop Car ". A top fuel funny car design, fixed up like a Milwaukee police cruiser.
Your switches and wiring looks like something out of an old analog pin ball machine.
Maybe the guy was trying to build a jeep called " The Pin Ball Wizard ".
Or maybe just control, off road lights ??
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

CarloPel
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by CarloPel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:13 am

I thought lights, too, but twelve !! switches ?? And more wires than any modern car. There were even 4 wires attached to the gear shift lever..... and a twelve connection junction block just for the front lights, all full.
I ended up tearing it all out, except for the charging and starting wiring, which I am now trying to determine if it was even wired correctly.

I like the name, though. I may use it....Thanks!!
CarloPel

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”