removing a stuck closed exhaust valve

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
stanamale1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

removing a stuck closed exhaust valve

Post by stanamale1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 am

I have a spare engine with very little wear on the pistons and never been bored over. the problem is it has been sitting for a long time and I have one valve that I cannot remove. I have been soaking this thing in pb blaster, wd-40, heating it ,tapping it , drilled two holes in the top of the valve and tried to break it loose with a spanner wrench. nothing has budged this thing. anyone have any ideas before I grind the top of the valve off and drill out the stem? stan

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: removing a stuck closed exhaust valve

Post by Wolfman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:10 am

That is tight.
Don't cut the valve head off !! :shock:
Doubt you will drill the stem either. It is really hard.
If the engine has set that long and the valve stuck that bad, it most likely needs to be disassembled and at least freshened up anyway.
Is it already disassembled ???
If you can get it apart and the camshaft out, which may be a challenge with a stuck valve, remove the lifter and valve spring. Drive from the bottom up. Even if the valve won't free up, you can drive the valve and guide out together.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:06 am

Since the valve is ruined, why not drop a 3/4" or larger nut to the top of the valve, mig or stick weld the inside nice and round, then just after welding heat soaks in, squirt some water on the valve to cool (and shrink) it, then apply a wrench to the nut to rotate the valve that has been shrunk with heat. It should allow enough torque to overcome the valve stem resistance at that point.

Couple of thoughts:
- Put some covering tin over the cylinders and remainder of the block to prevent weld splatter.
- Check that the valves are not some specific sodium filled type metal which is great for high heat, but maybe not great for welding on, It's not a gas, rather a material mixed during manufacture to make them more heat resistant, likely no problem here, just thinking it through, I don't know if welding on a magnesium Valve would caus it to burn up fro example (if some soviet junk is made of magnesium like their tank engine blocks were.

I heated a Standard B liberty truck valve to orange a few times before she would loosen up.

V/R W WInget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

stanamale1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by stanamale1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 am

I was thinking about this last night and saw how the guides are pulled with a threaded rod. I think I will try welding a nut to the top of the valve, put a spacer and a threaded rod with nut and try to pull the valve from the top. if it works I can ream the guide or pull it and replace it with the threaded rod method from the top. stan

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am

Get it to turn 1st, then it can wiggle up through the hole (unless the stem has been enlarged or significantly bent).
WAW
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

stanamale1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by stanamale1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 am

If I could get it to turn, it would be out by now. I put a spanner wrench on the valve and it wouldn't budge.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:28 am

Is the valve stuck in the closed or open position ??
Starting to think open since you put a spanner on it or have welded the nut on top as suggested ??
Still think you are going to end up pulling the guide and valve out together since it is as tight as it is.
If a nut has been welded in place, can you get a rod screwed into it to pull with or a slide hammer attached.
Going after the guide and valve together at this point.
Is this an intake or exhaust valve ?? On cyl. # ??
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:00 am

I use a small pipe wrench and a penetrant to work the valve loose, valves are cheap. Also have other tools that can grab it and pull it out once it is limbered up. Use caution not to knick the valve seat.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

stanamale1
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by stanamale1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:39 pm

I finally got it out. had to weld a nut to the top, attach a fine threaded rod with a spacer and tighten with a wrench. it took three tries. one broke the weld, a second stripped the threads in the nut welded to the valve and the third I doubled the nuts welded to to valve head for more threads.

tightened it up ,sprayed pen oil and left it overnight. cranked on it until something popped. The valve and guide came out in one piece. that was one stuck valve!!!!

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:13 am

Outstanding !!
That was a long, hard one. Oct. to Jan.
And a two for one effort. Now you don't have to remove the guide.
Patience and persistence win again !!
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:26 am

Just in time for Spring. :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”