Motorway driving.

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Motorway driving.

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 am

Hi Guys, this is mainly for our British members, but i would welcome veiws from our American friends. Would any of you consider driving your military vehicle on one of our motorways ? Bear in mind for example, the maximum speed of a jeep (i would never push mine above 40mph) compared to the 70mph on a motorway. Comments please. :?:

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Motorway driving.

Post by David » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:30 am

I feel very uncomfortable on the motorway with a jeep but sometimes it can't be avoided (like bridges and tunnels). I do plan routes to avoid them as much as possible though, and will drive max speed while on it (about 75 km/h).

High-visibility is key as others don't expect such a slow vehicle, so I have a high-vis jacket over the spare tire and I have a 6V orange flashing light I mounted on a metal pole that I can just tie to the jeep with cable wraps or string. The light sticks out just above the rear top bow (when up) and I made a simple 2-wired cable with 2 clamps I put directly on the battery terminals, and a light switch where the cable goes through the cab. No need to drill holes, I just let the cable run over the mirror and through the gap between fender and hood.

I have less issues to take B-roads with a maximum speed of 80 km/h. Still, I have 1 eye in the rear view mirror all the time.
Last edited by David on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am

Some real good points raised David, the flashing light is a great idea. This subject was bought up at a meeting a couple of years ago, and we were advised that if we went on an A road or motorway, travel as a group, in other words "safety in numbers". It doesnt always work out like that though. :roll:

Mark 1
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Mark 1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:41 am

I avoid motorways like the plague and will ALWAYS find an alternative B road if poss, sometimes an A when needs must.
My Jeep is happy at 50mph although I prefer no more than 45, but it’s not much fun sitting on a long straight dual carriageway or M way in a Jeep isn’t it.
Sometimes, you have no choice, but I always try and reduce the mileage on M ways to as little as possible.

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 am

Mark,
The same here in the US, I always take the back road's, not only is it safer but a lot more thing's to see, esp. in the country side at 35-40 mph.
If I am going a long distance I put the jeep on the trailer and take the hi-way. The back road's are always better. :wink:
67 M-151A1

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 am

As with the others, I avoid the motorways/highways in the US, too. I took my GPW to a WWII show in early June that, if taking motorways, would have been a 25 mile direct shot to get to and much faster. Instead, I opted for the back roads with less traffic and slower overall speeds. It increased my distance to about 35 miles each way, and probably added another 45 minutes to my trip, but well worth it. I compare driving my jeep to riding a motorcycle. In both cases you're out there with very little protection and lots of distracted drivers...benefit of a motorcycle, though? It can keep up with traffic on the motorways while a jeep can't. I drive my jeep to have fun and to be safe. To each his own, but I'd rather not get pummeled by a teenager driving their daddy's sports car at 100mph all while blasting music, texting, facebooking, and paying zero attention to lil OD jeeps going half their speed :|
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:19 am

Our Veteran's Day Parade up in Petaluma the MVCC North Bay Club supports is 15 miles by Highway 101 north of me, instead I take the two-lane back roads for two reasons. First of all it is much prettier and second there is virtually NO traffic. On the 101 they re going between 65 and 75 MPH and that is even in the two lane sections...the rest is three lanes but traffic is always moderate to heavy and ridiculous during the week for the morning southbound commute and northbound afternoon commute.

I have driven my jeep 62 MPH...once....and never again. It loves that 35-40 MPH range and cruises along on the back roads at that speed just find. A minimum of 45 is required on Highway 101 so you either wring out the jeep at 45 and STILL have every one tailgating you trying to pass or you just take the alternate route.

Maybe with an overdrive unit installed and several additional LIGHTS on the rear of the jeep you might be OK on the major highways/freeways but you still run the risk of being rear ended by people not paying attention.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:53 am

Some really good points made here guys. I think we are all on the same wavelength regarding motorways and A roads. Sean you made a cracking point about the speedy teenager in daddys sports car. That has happened so many times over here, sadly with tragic consequences on occasions. :cry:

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:23 am

Mark Jesic wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:53 am
Some really good points made here guys. I think we are all on the same wavelength regarding motorways and A roads. Sean you made a cracking point about the speedy teenager in daddys sports car. That has happened so many times over here, sadly with tragic consequences on occasions. :cry:
Same here, Mark. It's becoming ridiculous and honestly more and more scary to be on the road...regardless of in car, jeep, motorcycle, etc.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

dfast
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by dfast » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm

slow vehicle sign, one of the solutions for evenings or nights,

this is another example, also good,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_x7wpzwKMM
GPW 268625 45' with MB tub
CJ3B 1969 ex Army
Restoration viewtopic.php?f=136&t=240027

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

40-45 MPH is good speed that should be OK for Jeeps that are not kept to 100% mechanical spec, but safe to drive. I put along at 40-45 in my MB as I do not want to wear out that new vehicle feel. The M-38A1, same thing, but when on the busy Interstate, 55MPH is a good M-38A1 pace with power to spare.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:28 am

Mine rarely goes above 35mph Ben, i dare say it would do more, but, i always drive with the screen folded down. The sunglasses are on, but an insect in the face at that speed DOES hurt. :D

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:36 pm

I remember driving my Jeep thru town with the windshield down. It was midnite and I had just bought some cotton candy as I exited the fair grounds. I did not remember seeing jimmys on the cotton candy when I bought it, that crunchy effect was bugs. :wink:
Last edited by Joe Gopan on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Driving a jeep on major highways does not appeal to me...among other reasons is getting rear-ended by any vehicle going 20-30 MPH faster than you are doing will launch you like a rocket. Maybe you spin into the fast lane and another speeder T-bones you who is not doing 35-50 MPH faster than you are skidding in front of him or maybe you head off into a tree or light pole or...in either scenario you begin to roll over.

To me...its just not worth it to be able to go 45-50 MPH when the "road less travelled" lets you go 35-40 and if you crash it is because you screwed up, not some "impaired" individual, idiot speeding or distracted individual or someone who could not honestly even SEE you in front of them at night.

Like they say, put the windshield down, wear goggles or wrap around 'shades and keep yer yap shut and try to avoid swarms of insects and ENJOY the ride and the view...yes you will get there slower but its probably a lot safer than being at the mercy of some of those people who have somehow gotten possession of a drivers' license and a vehicle.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:29 pm
Driving a jeep on major highways does not appeal to me...among other reasons is getting rear-ended by any vehicle going 20-30 MPH faster than you are doing will launch you like a rocket. Maybe you spin into the fast lane and another speeder T-bones you who is not doing 35-50 MPH faster than you are skidding in front of him or maybe you head off into a tree or light pole or...in either scenario you begin to roll over.

To me...its just not worth it to be able to go 45-50 MPH when the "road less travelled" lets you go 35-40 and if you crash it is because you screwed up, not some "impaired" individual, idiot speeding or distracted individual or someone who could not honestly even SEE you in front of them at night.

Like they say, put the windshield down, wear goggles or wrap around 'shades and keep yer yap shut and try to avoid swarms of insects and ENJOY the ride and the view...yes you will get there slower but its probably a lot safer than being at the mercy of some of those people who have somehow gotten possession of a drivers' license and a vehicle.
Chuck's quite tall, sort of reminds me of Clint Eastwood moseying along on his mule. :wink:
Last edited by Joe Gopan on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”