my rants and POR is one of them

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

my rants and POR is one of them

Post by rondo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 am

this is just my pre-coffee morning rant and its fun to rant so enjoy.
Need canvas seats for my M38A1 and they don't have any at the G. I hope it goes without saying that I check here first.

1. anyway "these guys website" takes time to wade through and then only at checkout do I see it says POR(price on request). What I see when I see that is laziness, and "what can I fleece the customer for this month" bottom line is I won't shop at a place that says POR
2. as long as i'm on a roll here, I also hate it when I don't get a receipt. No electronic, nothing written. I get that a lot from a certain Dodge vendor. again NOT G503. anyway when a vendor doesn't have a part they just don't put it in the box and don't tell you. so I get a box with stuff missing from my order and no way to know what happened or if I was charged without become a private detective. plus I bet many of you track costs. I know how many hours and $ down to the cent it costs for my projects.
here is how vendors SHOULD do business. I ordered 4 NDT tires with summit racing on ebay, compare prices. order with 2 clicks. ships overnight. arrives at my door between 1-2 days!! Free stinking shipping. How do they do that? best price too. Even my local Big O (whom I know the owner) can't touch their price within 80$ a tire?? :D
Last edited by rondo on Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: my rants and POR is one of them

Post by Wolfman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 am

Take a deep breath and count to ten, Rondo.
POR ??
You got me on that one. I thought you were talking about the rust treatment POR-15. You mean Price On Request. Got it !!
I like a price up front myself although the fine print at most places read " Price subject to change without notice ." :roll: Same same but at least you get some hint of the price up front. That is better.
How does Summit do it ?? Volume !!
10% of $1 mil. is about the same as 20% of $500K. The lower price is how the volume got $1 mil. in this example.
My morning frame of mind usually starts to get better after I start the second cup. 8)
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

1943Willysgpw
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 1943Willysgpw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 am

totally agree. POR = Price Over Ride to what they sense is your desperation for the part. Also, the receipt thing. I order a bunch of small items that the G and Ron did not have. Forever later, it came in. I open the box to find some of the parts I ordered and others that I did not. So, I was missing some of the things I need and some of the ones I did not order I could actually use but wasn't ready for. I watched my CC statement to see WTH. I was waiting to get charged for the screw up....and to my total amazement, I never got hit for any of it. How do these guys stay in business. Not very organized. Anyway, that was only one story I have. It sure makes me appreciate vendors like Ron and Summit. P.S. I also thought you were talking about paint when I saw this. I thought maybe you found a "miracle cure" for removing it from the skin.
"None of us are as smart as all of us"

1942 GPW 1871 DoD 2-27-42 Dallas Plant
1945 GPW 247890 DoD 1-26-45 Louisville Plant
1942 GTB 136166 DoD 9-18-42
1942 GTB 135938 DoD
1952 M100

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 am

"Call For Price" or Price On Request"...meaning they quote you when you ASK for a price...sounds a bit shady, but a practice used by other vendors of merchandise. Basically it seems to get you on the phone and SELL you at whatever their supplier is currently charging them.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”