Bottle openers on jeeps.

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
TonyStandefer
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Bottle openers on jeeps.

Post by TonyStandefer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

Can we just lock this topic, it's pointless
Willys MB 340931. DOD 6-9-1944
Mvpa 1996 convention 1st place motorpool class
Dodge wc-12, July, 1941

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 am

It's simple TonyStanderfer, don't come here. :roll:
67 M-151A1

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:43 pm

I remember seeing a few on CJ-2A, CJ-3A Jeeps we took in or serviced back in the early 50's. Bet they opened a few brews while hunting.
Just because they say "COCA-COLA" does not mean you can't open some other beverage.:wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Navarre
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Navarre » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello, I found a nice place to bolt my bottle opener on:

Cheers!
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
Ford GPW 86534 DoD 12-11-42...in progress!
Resto thread: viewtopic.php?f=144&t=198728

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 am

Come Come Rodrigo. Cross head screw really :shock: thats not enterering the WW2 theme is it.? You could have used round head slotted screws at least :roll: :lol: :lol:
regards Nick
ps Bet you found the opener at the back of that garage :wink:

bestazy
G-Civilian

Post by bestazy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 am

I once had a subscription to a magazine that regularly reviewed 4x4 vehicles - jeeps, pickups, etc. One of their standard tests was to see how many places on the body of any given vehicle could be used to safely open a beer bottle. Applying that test to early jeeps, it seems to me that MBs and GPWs might actually be considered giant, self-propelled bottle openers - there must be a thousand places on a jeep body that will take the top off a bottle of Coke. There was never any tactical need for a bottle opener on jeeps!

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am

Navarre,
I hate to be the one who tell's you, but you don't need a bottle opener to open flip top or screw off's. :wink:

I agree, change those screw's please.
67 M-151A1

Navarre
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Navarre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 am

Well... Nobody needs a bottle opener in a jeep but there they are ;)

Yes.. My wall is too FARB, fake bricks and cross head screws :lol:
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
Ford GPW 86534 DoD 12-11-42...in progress!
Resto thread: viewtopic.php?f=144&t=198728

Myers
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Myers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 am

Well seeing as Phillips head screws were invented in the 1930s, and wall paper was also common. . .

We all know that if they had it they would have used it, right guys? It is just as plausible as mounting one on a Jeep.

Sure I can’t prove that they ever mounted bottle openers with Phillips head screws onto brick wall paper. But there is the exact same amount of evidence for it as there is for mounting them on Jeeps. Everyone seems to be ok with that.
1-44 Ford GPW (161784) USA 20439314, USN 87559
5-4-45 Bantam T3 (68871) USA 0948627

robymn
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by robymn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:09 am

No bottle opener on my Jeep, but I use the seatbelt sometimes.

Mike Wright
US Army Major (Ret)
US Army Major (Ret)

Post by Mike Wright » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:49 am

I have one on my GPW. Replaced one of the hip pad screws with a longer one so it is easy to remove and didn't have to make a new hole.
Probably not correct but I like it :!:
Mike Wright
SEEKING MOTOR # GPW 2636
MVPA# 4341
GPW 2636, DOD 28 FEB 42, Reg# 2055811 (est)
GPW 104331 DOD 31 MAR 43, Reg# 20369321 (est)
MB-101008 DOD 27 NOV 41, Reg# W-2032462 (Original)
MB 438075, DOD 1 MAY 45, Reg# 20704591 (Original)
Converto ABN Dump 0886168
M2-HB gun trailer

MrVisB
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by MrVisB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 am

To be honest, I had not even thought about mounting a bottle opener on my jeep.
That is until I happened to be doing online viewing/"research" on one of those obscure foreign language historic archive picture sites. Don't ask me which or where as this was 10 or so years ago, and I have done a bit of trying to find again without any luck so far.
BUT, that is where I ran across at least two wartime pics showing a coke opener mounted, and thought, "hey, that's kinda neat. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those to add later."
Later found an old one in a house from the 50s, cleaned it up and tarnished down so not "shiny and new" and added to my passenger side, behind the side grab handle.
I went with outboard mount as my thought was coke syrup can be really sticky, and didn't want any sodas spilling on my dash or floorboard.
If I can ever find an archive photo again, I'll share, but haven't run across one in any English language site yet. :)
-HB
43 Ford GPW 92511
Anybody ever seen my original engine? :)

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:40 am

Why crap up a good Jeep with junk that was not made for it.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:34 am

nick peters wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 am
Come Come Rodrigo. Cross head screw really :shock: thats not enterering the WW2 theme is it.? You could have used round head slotted screws at least :roll: :lol: :lol:
regards Nick
ps Bet you found the opener at the back of that garage :wink:
I have some Phillips screws on the factory installed radio equipment so anything is possible... also there are various tool kits with the driver! :shock:

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles ... nXv2maZP5Y

The Phillips screw and driver, originally invented by Portlander John P. Thompson, dramatically increased the speed of manufacturing and made the Phillips screwdriver a necessity in every toolbox. Thompson applied for the patent rights on a "Screw" (U.S. Patent 1908080) with an innovative “cruciform groove” and a matching "Screw driver" (U.S. Patent 1908081) in 1932. Although not the first screw of its kind—English inventor John Frearson had patented a screw with a “cruciform orifice” some sixty years earlier—Thompson’s invention eventually revolutionized assembly lines.

Little information remains about Thompson. Born in Wagner, Iowa, in 1857, he moved to Portland in 1920 or 1921 from Bismarck, North Dakota. His occupations are listed in Polk's Portland Directory as “furnished rooms” and “laborer,” although census records indicate that he had worked as a bank cashier and in real estate before moving to Oregon. A Sunday Oregonian article from 1939 stated that Thompson, who died in Portland on September 4, 1940, had been an auto mechanic when he invented the screw.

When the patents were granted in 1933, the rights were assigned "By Direct and Mesne Assignments" to Henry F. Phillips, the managing director of the Oregon Copper Company, a mining outfit in eastern Oregon. The wording on the patent means that it was awarded directly to Henry Phillips, even though Thompson is credited with the invention. There is no locally available information as to why Thompson transferred the rights to Phillips, but there may have been a relationship between Phillips and Thompson predating the issuance of the patent, and perhaps even the application for the patent.

After obtaining the first two patents, Phillips formed the Phillips Screw Company in Portland in 1933 with the aim of licensing the design to manufacturers and collecting the royalties. He soon persuaded E.E Clark, the president of the American Screw Company, to manufacture the screw, and in the next four years the Phillips Screw Company had obtained six additional patents modifying the design. By 1936 the screw was available to consumers, and the first industrial customer was General Motors, which used Phillips screws to build Cadillac automobiles in 1937. Soon after, it was adopted by the railroad and aviation industries.

Until the invention of the Phillips screw, American assembly lines, craftsmen, and consumers used regular, slotted-head screws. But that design was problematic for three reasons: it was difficult to align the driver with the screw aperture; the driver tended to slip from the open ends; and the slot required a closely matching bit. The cruciform drive addressed those problems.

Although the Phillips screw became ubiquitous through its usefulness on the assembly line, it is unknown whether Thompson or Phillips originally intended the invention to specifically solve the challenges presented by regular head screws in manufacturing. Thompson's original patent for a "Screw driver" (U.S. 1908081) featured a diagram of a manual screwdriver, with no mention of the specific applications for which the invention was intended, primarily being concerned with the feasibility of manufacturing the design. U.S patent 2046837, filed by Phillips in 1934 and granted in 1936, mentions driving "either by hand or by power-driven types of tool." The same patent also mentions that the "failure of the slotted screw to retain the blade-driver, especially in power driven operations, is not only dangerous to the operator, but is likewise, always injurious to the work," indicating that by 1934 it had occurred to Phillips that the assembly line was a ripe market.

By 1939, twenty companies had licenses to produce Phillips screws worldwide. In 1940, the Phillips Screw Company grossed $77,421 ($1,323,000 adjusted for inflation), almost all of it in royalties. By then the Phillips screw was in use by nearly every major American automobile manufacturer, as well as by railroad and airplane builders.

The wars raging in Europe and the Pacific drove growth in manufacturing, and Phillips’s company was able to ride the wave of the war boom. As the war effort gave, however, it also took away. Phillips Screw Company depended on licensing the design to foreign manufacturers to grow, and World War II restricted the countries that the company could reliably do business with. In 1939, for example, one licensee, the J. Osawa Company, was ramping up production in Kyoto, Japan; but by 1940 Japan had broken off trade relations with the United States, likely making it difficult for Phillips to collect license fees.

Henry Phillips retired in 1945. In 1947, the U.S. government filed suit against the Phillips Screw Company and seventeen manufacturers of Phillips screws and drivers alleging anti-competitive practices dating back to 1933. They were charged with patent pooling, cartel practices, price-fixing, and the suppression of competing technologies. The case, United States v. Phillips Screw Co., was tried in the U.S. District Court of Northern Illinois (Chicago). The case was concluded in 1949 with a consent decree that dissolved the patent pool, likely making it difficult to protect the collection of patents that the company relied upon to protect its intellectual property. In any case, unlicensed companies had earlier begun to produce similar competing designs, some of which were convinced to buy into the licensing agreement. Other manufacturers, however, said that their designs were not based on the Phillips design, but on the older, unprotected Frearson design. In the same year, a final refinement was patented on the Phillips drive system by an engineer from the American Screw Company; that patent expired in 1966.

Henry Phillips died in his home at the Ione Plaza Apartments in Portland on April 13, 1958; he was sixty-eight years old. Although the Phillips drive system remains far and away the most widely used internal screw-driving system—industry estimates indicate that it is used in at least half of all internally driven screws—it is being steadily replaced by newer technologies. From its current headquarters in Burlington, Massachusetts, the Phillips Screw Company continues to develop and license drive systems that are replacing its founding technology.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

GUNNUT in Iowa

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:06 am

Ben Dover wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:40 am
Why crap up a good Jeep with junk that was not made for it.
Good question.

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

:wink:
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”