Bottle openers on jeeps.

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Bottle openers on jeeps.

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am

I can see it now....Private Parts crawls on his belly under intense enemy machine gun fire past his squad mates providing supporting fire to the remains of a jeep hit by a land mine armed with nothing by a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to salvage the cast-type opener mounted on it. Only to find out that the Coca-Cola company provided openers in cases of Coke you didn't need to mount on anything.

Maybe Fabrizio is right....they stole a Coke machine from the Port of Embarcation in the US because they knew they'd need the cast type opener:
1942 Coke Machine.jpg
1942 Coke Machine.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 3673 times
It would be difficult to hang on your dogtag chain or put in the glove box or in your pack though...
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am
I can see it now....Private Parts crawls on his belly under intense enemy machine gun fire past his squad mates providing supporting fire to the remains of a jeep hit by a land mine armed with nothing by a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to salvage the cast-type opener mounted on it. Only to find out that the Coca-Cola company provided openers in cases of Coke you didn't need to mount on anything.

Maybe Fabrizio is right....they stole a Coke machine from the Port of Embarcation in the US because they knew they'd need the cast type opener:

1942 Coke Machine.jpg

It would be difficult to hang on your dogtag chain or put in the glove box or in your pack though...
:lol: :lol:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:08 am

:lol:
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 am

I see this topic has been around since 2003! :shock:

viewtopic.php?t=7341

And another: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=107571

The first thread implies Paulie has one on his jeep.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

HankII
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by HankII » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Chuck Lutz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am
I can see it now....Private Parts crawls on his belly under intense enemy machine gun fire past his squad mates providing supporting fire to the remains of a jeep hit by a land mine armed with nothing by a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to salvage the cast-type opener mounted on it. ....
Why do you embrace this Chronic, Pronounced FiXXXation that openers were only added, removed, viewed.... under Intense Enemy Fire? Unless you're watching Rat Patrol, "Combat Jeeps" pulled back once in a while.

And unlikely you were in Anzio, Bastogne, Po river... If you continue this obsession, some might believe you were or are in Seine.
Only 2 things in life make it worth livin'
Is old Jeeps tuned good & Firm Feelin women

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Ok I've read all the posts. My opener is cast, with the words "Open Bottle Here" with an arrow pointing down. (Instead of "Coca-Cola"). Would this be correct on an early 42 non-script GPW? This may be a nod to Ford having to remove the company name from the rear body so as to remove unfair advertising/endorsement by the government. I will say it gets as much or more attention than my .30 water cooled or Thompson more readily visible.
Yep, field mod. My Jeep, my field, my fun. Bless All-ya.
Ed
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:12 am

HankII wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:58 pm
Chuck Lutz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 am
I can see it now....Private Parts crawls on his belly under intense enemy machine gun fire past his squad mates providing supporting fire to the remains of a jeep hit by a land mine armed with nothing by a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to salvage the cast-type opener mounted on it. ....
Why do you embrace this Chronic, Pronounced FiXXXation that openers were only added, removed, viewed.... under Intense Enemy Fire? Unless you're watching Rat Patrol, "Combat Jeeps" pulled back once in a while.

And unlikely you were in Anzio, Bastogne, Po river... If you continue this obsession, some might believe you were or are in Seine.
:lol: :lol: .
67 M-151A1

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Ed Roberts wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:29 pm
My opener is cast, with the words "Open Bottle Here" with an arrow pointing down. (Instead of "Coca-Cola"). This may be a nod to Ford having to remove the company name from the rear body so as to remove unfair advertising/endorsement by the government.
Or, was the removal of Coca-Cola a measure by the Gov't to prevent the Enemy from knowing the origin of the bottle openers, thus eliminating sabotage to the bottle opener plant which would have prevented bottle openers from appearing on jeeps?
Roy

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 am

There must be some Jeeps in need of PM while waiting for the Official Stock Number for the opener to surface and the O.D. Coke Coolers to keep those Cokes frosty.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm

gerrykan wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm
Or, was the removal of Coca-Cola a measure by the Gov't to prevent the Enemy from knowing the origin of the bottle openers, thus eliminating sabotage to the bottle opener plant which would have prevented bottle openers from appearing on jeeps?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 am

And meanwhile, there was a war going on------------
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Fortyeight2A
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Fortyeight2A » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:50 pm

There's a small war going on here, right now... has been for 10 pages! :roll:
Is it true real Jeeps have flat fenders?
Alone cannot you it resist!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:25 pm

There are more trying to justify install Coke bottle openers on their Jeeps than there was available soda.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Well, In the interest of expanding one's historical knowledge ...

I might as well add additional fuel to this interesting discussion, started by Mark Jesic, giving us all great insight and entertainment !!!
Thanks Mark :D :D :D

I had earlier posted pictures of Coca-Cola coolers used by troops during the War, mounted in back of a Dodge 6x6, coolers used in the jungle island campaigns, that also had the opener in question, mounted on them, a bottling plant in Saipan, etc.

Those photos only show that yes Coke products were along side troops in many theaters of operation, with that opener on coolers, that is a fact.
As for openers on jeeps, no pics yet, but US Troops were very resourceful as we know.

Now the NEW INTERESTING INFO for those who may be interested in it .....

It appears that Coca-Cola had a " US Army Detachment" that they organized, which were equipped with US Army Uniforms, with Army Officer ranks, and Army pay, with a special Coca-Cola US Army insignia they wore .
The US Army Coca-Cola unit's task was to get Coca-Cola to the US Troops around the World during WW2.
According to Coca-Cola Company they distributed 5 billion bottles of Coke during the War to US Troops.
Their "strike team" in charge of this mission also had two KIA's, of their 148 man team, that were lost working to get Coca-Cola distribution set up and delivered to forward areas during World War 2 .
They even made camouflaged Jungle Fountains designed to be mounted in trucks, with a portable ice machine built into it.
Very interesting history.
So one could always do up a jeep or a truck as a Coca-Cola Combat Unit :D :D :D :D :D

It could certainly use more historic study !!!

And this is no joke :D :D :D

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/coke-and-the-us

Best Regards,

Ray

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 pm

I will then take this info to extrapolate that the Coca-Cola strike teams were armed with Burp Guns. Anxiously awaiting the next episode of "Bottle Top Wars". Too funny.
Ed
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”