2017 Memorial Day show

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
2017 Memorial Day show

Post by 42swing » Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 am

Took the MB/MBT to the annual Memorial Day car show yesterday, its usual first outing of the year. Very pleasant day weather-wise, parked in my usual place toward the back and set up my display of Jeep related equipment; tools, spare parts, weapons, glove compartment stuff, etc. plus my information placards on the Jeep and the unit its marked for (6 Cav, 28 Recon). There were probably 400 cars there, mostly the usual 50s, 60s, 70s stuff, but I was the only military vehicle. Had my HBTs on, put up my chair, and settled back. A young friend of mine, a high school Sophomore, joined me mid morning.

We didn't get to sit for long before we were swamped with interested people asking questions which continued all day long. Good questions too, from performance specs, to what the function of certain things was. One WWII vet stopped by with his great-grandson in tow who must have been there for 30 min. pointing out things to the boy. Finally, he winked and told me I had used the wrong shade of green - noting the Marine Corps hat he had on, I winked back and told him this was an Army Jeep, not Marine Corps! He laughed and moved on, but was back several times. Also had one Korean vet, and much to my surprise only one Vietnam vet.

All in all, just a very enjoyable day. This is always a good venue, but people seemed particularly interested this year, I even heard the DJ at one point say, "this is for the Jeep in the back," before he played a Glenn Miller tune. Highlight of the day, however, was when a young couple told me "the cars are great, but this is what the holiday is all about."
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Re: 2017 Memorial Day show

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

I did basically the same thing today and got much the same response! :D We had over 400 cars also. :shock:

The Vet with the 2017 patriotic theme on his vett won a trophy. Most show car owners don't really know what to think of the MB/GPW but the public loves them. I had non stop questions the whole afternoon.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Tue May 30, 2017 8:34 am

Thats what makes it all so enjoyable. Mark those lifting rings on your USMC front bumper, i thought those were only on Canadian jeeps, im willing to be corrected if wrong, a stunning looking jeep though. :D

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Tue May 30, 2017 8:46 am

Hi Mark. The Canadian contracts were patterned after the first USMC contracts, which included the rings, but the Canadians chose not to have hooks.

All of the Navy/USMC contract jeeps that I have BOM documentation on have hooks and rings... about 10000 jeeps total.

U.S.N. 133818
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am

Many thanks for the reply Mark, i must admit the hooks (or cow horns as we call them) look really good.

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Tue May 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Well Done guys glad the crowds were appreciative!
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

dinof
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by dinof » Wed May 31, 2017 6:56 am

Mark,
Are the adapters for the dual wheels the aluminum ones? My father had some and I'm sure I have them somewhere in my garage.

Jeep looks great by the way.
Dino
Dino Falabrino
On the "G" since 1998.
1943 GPW 102310 DOD 3-3-43
1928 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Tudor
1968 Taco Minibike

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Wed May 31, 2017 8:05 am

Yes they are, Dino... did that come of a Navy surplus jeep we have talked about... I have Documents on your jeep, correct?

My mother was a USO girl during WWII. She loved Glen Miller and dancing.

One thing that always is a mystery to me is why no one ever asks me why I don't have license plates or a yearly registration sticker for the windshield? :shock:
U.S.N. 133818
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed May 31, 2017 9:29 am

Mark, my licence plates are magnetic, so i remove them at shows ,for photographic purposes, i presume yours are similar ?

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Wed May 31, 2017 6:29 pm

No, here you can use the registration number and don't have to display a sticker as the HMV registration is $50 for 5 years. Very cool!!

Former Military Vehicle is defined as "a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is restored and maintained to accurately represent its military design and markings. The vehicle may be used only for parades, club activities, exhibitions, and other functions of public interest and will not be used for regular transportation." · Must be titled in Texas. · Owners of vehicles that meet the limited use restriction provisions of this registration may seek an exemption from the financial responsibility (insurance) requirement by contacting the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) for an affidavit. If the DPS approves the exemption, a copy of the signed and dated affidavit (by a DPS agent) must be filed with the county tax assessor-collector's office when obtaining or renewing the Former Military Vehicle specialty license plate. · If the vehicle has not been previously registered in Texas within the last five years, proof of evidence of ownership, along with proof of insurance (or a waiver from DPS), must be submitted. · A photo of the vehicle must be submitted with this application.
Fee
A Former Military Vehicle plate or sticker is issued for a five-year period. The fee is $50 if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or later; the fee is $40 if the vehicle was manufactured prior to 1921. Fees are prorated either $10/$8 each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year period. Only one plate will be issued for display on the rear of the vehicle.
Please select one of the following:
Military Registration Number: The serial number assigned to the vehicle by the Armed Forces may be used as the license plate number. It shall be displayed in digits at least two inches high, in a design and location, which conforms with the vehicle's official military design and markings. No license plate will be issued, but a registration sticker will be issued and must be carried in the vehicle.

We have gotten way off topic here but I think it is a good idea to get out there and display or use your MV, especially on Memorial Day! :D
U.S.N. 133818
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 am

Too right Mark, we have several shows and events coming up, i really look forward to them, as i have previously said, we are keeping history alive, and our heroes wont be forgotten. :D And yes we do have to show our insurance, its a lot cheaper than cars though, due to limited mileage on our policies.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”