Import WW2 Jeep from France back to US.

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
95inf377c
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Import WW2 Jeep from France back to US.

Post by 95inf377c » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:00 am

Hello im researching the possibility of bringing a Jeep back to the US from France. I know there are plenty of Jeeps here id just like one that i know was over there and around the same area my late grandfather fought in. I have a few friends over there and they know of some with lots of potential. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could help me better understand the legal hurtles and obtain an idea of the cost of shipment. Thanks

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Import WW2 Jeep from France back to US.

Post by Fabrizio » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:55 am

Hi,
I'm in France, and know some Jeep people too, in case you need some tips.
Regards
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:49 am

As far as legal hurdles, any vehicle older than 25 years is exempted from both US/DOT and US/EPA requirements.
I would be careful to make sure any numbers on documents are accurate and match the vehicle numbers.
Registration will be at the discretion of your particular state. They will need many of the import documents. Keep copies of all paperwork.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

95inf377c
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by 95inf377c » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks for the information. Ive still got a ways to go before it would happen. Would a few thousand dollars be a good estimate on shipping cost?

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:48 am

Personally, I can't help you there. I've never been in on the financial end of an import.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 am

Hi, sorry I have just seen your PM.
I have never done it, but I know that shipping a vintage car from the US to France, all paperwork and taxes incl., is around 5000 euro, less if you find a deal on the actual shipping.

You might also check if it's not easier to ship the car from Belgium or Netherlands.

Be aware that most, if not all, french Jeeps have been registered post-war, serials, makes and model on the papers are often a bit "artistic".

Also be careful about EACH part of the Jeep, I'd say 75% of them in France are army or bubba rebuilds, willys-Ford-wof salad.

Why are you willing to import? I have the feeling that prices in Europe are WAY higher than on your side, especially for project cars!
A friend just sold a may 44 gow project, complete and all F marked (top bow, gauges, etc), but with Wof engine, everything to be restaured, for 9000euro, and that's not too crazy here.
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”

95inf377c
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by 95inf377c » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:25 am

The reason im looking into it is because my grandfather fought in ww2 in France and Germany. I just think it would be cool to get one that was over there. Its by no means a necessity but for me it would he cooler. Like i said right now im just in the research fase. It will be a while before im ready to buy one from anywhere.

wo2jeeper
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by wo2jeeper » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:39 am

Many Jeeps in Europe are getting imported from the US nowadays. The chances are that you buy one of those when searching for it. And a lot were returned to the US in the past by the Jeep dealers. So you could find one next to your door already.

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 am

Olaf's post is exactly what I was thinking...with a strong Euro a few years ago tons of jeeps were sent to Europe as the exchange rate and cost of jeeps in the same condition over there gave importers a slight edge. Unless you have some provenance to guarantee the one you are looking at was actually THERE in WWII and wasn't sent over a few years ago you would be defeating the purpose.

Not only that, but even if a certain jeep was in the French Army there is no way I know of to confirm it was in service. There were thousands of vehicles that were never even issued that just sat in the fields of England and France and were given away after the end of the war.

Jeeps up in Norway were NATO vehicles that were sent there from as far away as the rebuild facilities in Japan after WWII and they certainly didn't serve in the ETO. There are many of those now "in the system" and possible even for sale in many European countries.

So...as they say when you are purchasing a firearm, "Buy the gun, not the story!"....it would be the same, buy the jeep, not the story and in this case, where it REALLY was would be hard to say during WWII.

Add to that the cost of purchasing a jeep there and shipping it BACK to the USA and getting it to where you live ain't cheap either.

You could also look at it this way; your Grandfather was trained at some base(s) in the US prior to going overseas....a jeep purchased here might very well have been on the same base(s) as he trained on and that would be as likely a connection as buying one over there and bringing it back.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Fabrizio
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Fabrizio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 am

Anyhow, a Jeep that is in France, and was not imported has very high chances to have been around during ww2, for decades the surplus stock was so huge that it would have been madness to bring one from another country!
Troubles begin when you start looking for a Jeep that is not actually made from a few dozens of other Jeeps, and with a big injection of WOF parts!
GPW #3606 “LIBBY”

95inf377c
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by 95inf377c » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Thank you for all the comments. It gives me alot more information to consider. Ill look for one stateside.

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:39 pm

A friend imported his Dodge Command Car from Southern France a few years ago. Shipping was $5,000 and took about a month and a half. He had to fight with customs over whether or not it was built in the USA (Taxes) :roll: He had to pay them to get it out of hock at the dock, then fight to get them back.
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”