MB 223063 1943 Restoration

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
GIWillys
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

MB 223063 1943 Restoration

Post by GIWillys » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:06 am

This will be a relatively slow thread, as I am currently saving to purchase everything needed all at once.

I purchased this Jeep August 30th 2015 from a gentleman in Ohio. Cursory inspection showed that the body was in rough shape, but original (124577), and the wiring would have to be re-done. The engine compartment was also missing several components, including the air cleaner and oil filter.

Later inspections would show that the frame is original (MB 223063), but the engine is likely off of a CJ, as the SN was on the mount for the waterpump.

From the information I was given and what I was able to research: this jeep was manufactured somewhere between March 27th to April 1st 1943, and after the war had been purchased through auction by a serviceman. It was, at one point, painted red, white, and blue and used in parades. Damage to the body indicates that at one point it had been rear-ended, and possibly rolled.

My goal for this jeep is to restore it to as close to factory defaults as possible, while also allowing use in reenactments. I will also be keeping this as a 12v system, which I know is a travesty when it comes to restorations but also means I can get a jump if I need it. What this means from what I have now:

-Complete re-wire of electrical harness
-Get air cleaner, oil filter, 12v generator, regulator, and starter (correct style)
-replace incorrect dash instrumentation with correct style gauges
-Get trailer socket, tail lights, black out lights, starter switch, and light switches

Additionally, because of the condition of the body and components, I face a dilemma

The body is, at best, rough shape. The only parts that are in good condition is the firewall and front cab; the rest will need dent work at best, replacement panels at worst. Because of this, a replacement tub may be the best use of my money and time, but at the cost of the original tub. My options, as I see them, are to:

1- replace the tub, replicate the body numbers on new toe board
2- replace the tub, mount the old toe board to the new body
3- keep the tub, replace the body panels

Finally, I'm also in the market for a matching engine- as close to March/April '43 as possible, preferably in working condition. This is the lowest of priorities, but is something that will need to be done in order for this project to be considered 'complete'.
Willys MB 223063
DOD 4-2-1943
Currently in several pieces- ~40% restored

RESTORATION THREAD

RESTORATION IMAGES

GIWillys
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: MB 223063 1943 Restoration

Post by GIWillys » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:10 pm

A large update;

- Have divided my time slowly peeling away the layers of bubba-fication and paint to begin restoration. The more parts I pulled, the more fun I discovered I would be experiencing!

- Other portions of my time are spent researching as much as I could about this particular vehicle in terms of production standards. Basic stuff, like which spare tire carrier, radio suppression, to more nitty-gritty stuff like all the markings on an authentic Carter Carburetor or how to identify if a part is Willys or Ford. Going section by section, I'm currently at the 'electrical' section.

-At this point, I'm thinking the front and rear floors will be replaced, but the rest of the body should be fine and repaired.

-The frame had some 'interesting' modifications, and am currently looking at either putting in some serious work on the front forks and crossmember, or replacing them. Aside from a few cracks, it seems to be in otherwise good shape.

Willys MB 223063
DOD 4-2-1943
Currently in several pieces- ~40% restored

RESTORATION THREAD

RESTORATION IMAGES

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:22 am

Wow, with all of those horrible welds on the body and frame it almost looks bubba gave his kid the welder to play with :lol: I'm glad to see that it looks like you're planning to keep the original body, though! It really satisfying to be able to say the tub is original when people ask. Good luck with your project, and keep posting pictures!
Last edited by twinflyer17 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:12 am

A lot of work ahead, but it will be worth it, also glad you are planning to keep the org. body.
67 M-151A1

Peace
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Peace » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:37 am

Quite the project you have on your hands there! At first I thought it looked pretty good, but there does seem to be quite a lot of accident damage. It seems like you have your work cut out for you. One day at a time, itll come together eventually. I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Learning as I go along, and quite a lot of welding in the foreseeable future. Here is my thread. viewtopic.php?f=144&t=283721
If you like to talk mb, drop me a line!

Good luck,
Stijn
Willys MB, tub #130819, sept 1944 (under restoration)
1944 Cushman Airborne 53 (restored for a friend)

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:00 am

Its a long road ahead, but remember, it will be worth it. Please keep us posted on the progress.

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Tue May 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Mine isn't that far from yours (201453). Good luck with it! There's a lot of good metal there and you were smart to buy a complete jeep.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Captain John
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Captain John » Sun May 21, 2017 12:41 am

At the moment I am repairing a ACM 1 tub same as yours . Looking at your pics your front floor is in way better shape than mine ,your front hat channels etc etc look good . I removed the Bubba patches which were overlaid and replaced the hat channel and let in the new patches . A bit time consuming but armed with an angle grinder and MIG welder it was a satisfactory repair , I would not replace your front floor .You do need to replace the rear floor ,they come complete with the hat channel installed and all holes drilled . This would be a simple fix and allows you to sort out the tool boxes and wheel arches as when the old rear floor is out you can get much better access . Keep up the good work !!! Keep us posted on your progress . Take heart that right now several dozen others world wide are going down the same sometimes rocky road !!!

Captain John in lovely sunny spring day Suffolk County England .

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”