legality of faux guns mounted in street ride

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: legality of faux guns mounted in street ride

Post by Frank USMC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 am

I am in North Carolina, like the Chuckman who asked the question.
I have never been stopped or asked about my M2 or Garands on my vehicles here. As a couple of guys have said, in this area, it does not even raise an eyebrow.
But, that being said, we also have a lot of refugees moving here from states that are less free. If any one says any thing about my display, 10 out of 10 times they have moved here from a northern state. When we had the house fire at our old house, the fire chief (from NJ) went and found a police officer, took him into my house and showed him our gun room. He demanded the police officer do something. The police officer told me all he could do was say 'This is so cool!". He then told the fire chief owning guns in North Carolina is not against the law.
Times are changing, even here.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

VitoCapo
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by VitoCapo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:49 am

Be smart.
Don't act like an A-Hole.
Look up your local laws.
Talk to local law enforcement if you can.

My buddy drives his Goat around with a gas converted M60 and told me he has never had a problem locally, but.....

You don't want to be this guy.... (of course there's more details that are not in the story that we can only make assumptions about but I wonder if he was firing it off at some point thinking it's the same as shooting off fireworks. Either way, due diligence is called for when driving around with any type of firearm, real or not.)
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index ... aroun.html

Man arrested for driving around with mounted World War II machine gun in Metro Detroit

SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A man was arrested in Macomb County by police responding to reports of a vehicle with a mounted machine gun driving around late at night.

The armor-plated military-type vehicle featured a modified World War II .50-caliber machine gun.

The Detroit News, The Macomb Daily of Mount Clemens and WDIV-TV report the gun had been converted to fire compressed gas, which produced bright flashes and loud gunfire sounds.

Police in Shelby Township confiscated the vehicle and its mounted weapon after responding to multiple calls Thursday night.

Charges are pending against the unnamed suspect.

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 pm

someone shouldhave handed the fire chief a coy of the Constitution and read the send thought down the page!!!! :mrgreen:
I'm getting tired of ignorant people drivng the bus....they need to get a life...their own......and get outta mine

Been stopped a few times.......Cops Said: we got a call; knew it was bogus; buyt we had to stop you.....what a kool jeep; gum amde out of GI parts? is it live; do you shoot it!? at which point I show them the aluminum M60 recevier and remark that the live ones are upwards of $50K.

Been stopped driving the tank on the street....COp Said: we got a call and figure it was bogus but I guess not. What is it? M18. Great! How fast does it go? Do you shoot the gun? See ya later.....(copy dries off!)

Mostly, however, they drive by, stop up the road, get out of the car and take a cellphone picture as I drive by....Open and concealed carry ok here; sometime the gun carries me isntead of me carrying the gun!....all the same to the cops. One of htem told me I could do drive-by shoting inthe south valley!! LOL :mrgreen:

"those that trade liberty for safety, are neither free nor safe"
reenacting and WWII history

Chuckman84

Post by Chuckman84 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm

like I said, Im a registered CCW owner and due to this, Im VERY careful about my weapons- as being a holder you can get into real trouble if you screw up.
Im going to talk to the boys in blue, offer to show up to their charity events, and / or public meet and greets and make friends.
then do as the Sgt sees fit.
whatever I build will be barrel plugged just to settle everyone out.
BUT I WILL have a very real and very loaded 1911 on my hip.
Ive have to show it to several cops when pulled over (std CCW procedure) and they oooh and ahh over it then I show them my targets shot at 75 yards then they really ooooh and ahhhh.
:mrgreen:

somewhere on the G, I read this and it bears repeating;

God gave you a soul
your parents, a body
your Country a gun.
keep them all clean.
-------------

born in America,
southern by the Grace of God

Chuck
83 CJ7 full-bore rock crawler
53 CJ3A farm/hunting rig
45 GPW being restored

Rick O
Police Corporal
Police Corporal

Post by Rick O » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:33 pm

well, don't be this fool:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/men-detain ... achine-gun

SHELBY TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WXYZ) - "A stupid act," is how Shelby Township's Police Chief describes what a military veteran and his two buddies did Thursday night with a vintage tank called "Lonely Bull" and its mounted 50 caliber machine gun.

Calls to 911 flooded in as people living on Erma Street and their guests went from watching fireworks over a lake to running for cover when they saw the tank and heard what sounded like gunshots from a machine gun.

Shelby Township police say it was John Lind, 49, and his friends riding in his World War II vintage tank, pulling the trigger on the modified gun that doesn't actually fire rounds, but rather bursts of compressed air along bright flashes and the realistic sound of rapid firing.

Chief Roland Woelkers says it caused "pandemonium" with crowds of people, including children, fearing for their lives.

We're told Lind, a history buff, served in the Marines, Navy and the Air Force, but now loves to share his love of military history by going to shows and parades with the many vintage vehicles he owns and stores at his home - not far away from where Thursday night's incident took place.

It appears Lind and his friends did not pull the trigger on the modified gun while riding the tank on the street where he lives.

Lind founded a group called "Detroit Arsenal of Democracy." And on his website, he indicates that loves history and wants to share it with everyone.

But fearing what happened around 11:00 pm Thursday might be a terrorist attack or the work of a "crazy" person, Chief Woelkers told reporters that his officers quickly responded with help from police in surrounding communities.

With guns drawn, officers located Lind after he returned to his home and parked the tank.

Police say there were no reported injuries.

Lind is now in custody on a $100,000 cash or surety bond.

Prosecutors are expected to review the case on Monday, but we're told Lind could face multiple misdemeanor and felony charges.

Charges are also pending on his two friends, but they are not in police custody.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/men-detain ... z2YEUd1ahC
1941 Slat Grill 106112 DoD 12-23-1941
1951 M100 trailer 01207732
1954 Dodge M37(M42)
1942 Dodge WC21 DoD 3-17-42

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:27 am

Chuck

I mentioned the summer heat earlier. Before you lay out hard earned money for parts and a weapon, take the top off your jeep. Then spend a few days driving around in the mid day sun before making a final decision.

Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

The Raven
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by The Raven » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:44 am

Go away for a couple days leaving a nice non-political, non gun rights, non-affiliation discussion and come back to a marginally ok thread that just HAD to mention the elephants in the room, seriously people we all know everyone feels, no need to mention the obvious.....:roll:
The Law of Unintended Consequences has come into play. All the best..-A

The Raven
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by The Raven » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 am

raymond wrote:Chuck

I mentioned the summer heat earlier. Before you lay out hard earned money for parts and a weapon, take the top off your jeep. Then spend a few days driving around in the mid day sun before making a final decision.

Raymond
Yeah, really.....I am jonsing for a top right now!!!

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:46 pm

The Raven wrote: Yeah, really.....I am jonsing for a top right now!!!
Huh! I had to look that one up.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

The Raven
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by The Raven » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 pm

tamnalan wrote:
The Raven wrote: Yeah, really.....I am jonsing for a top right now!!!
Huh! I just learned a new word. I like "Casey Jones"... heard 'em play that song a few times.
Not sure where I found it...I always looked at it as keeping up with the joneses.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Remember, cheaper, is not better.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 pm

We're told Lind, a history buff, served in the Marines, Navy and the Air Force
Police must have been ex Army . . . or Coast Guard.

Anyway, back to the OP's questions, it will be interesting to see what this guy and his friends are charged with. Having the replica gun or doing what they did with it, or some other unrelated charges like resisting arrest, no drivers license, etc.

TO BE CONTINUED . . .
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

The Raven
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by The Raven » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Ben Dover wrote:Remember, cheaper, is not better.
Probably going with Weebee unless you have a better suggestion?

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 am

Don't even have the tub on my 42 GPW yet, but a fellow MVPA member made me a .50 cal BMG that will get installed. I dislike the "look" of the jeep with the top on and really have very few thoughts of having the top up. Parade and display jeep mainly, so if weather is iffy, will not drive. I have a used top and the bow brackets and can put the top up in an emergency. And, it that involves removing the gun from the socket and putting the top up, then, it's not the end of the world. And, without having the gun installed on my tub yet, I'm just brain storming, but my son has a bikini top on his Jeep Wrangler that keeps the sun off the front seats and still allows the open top feel and look. I could invision a canvas bikini top from the windshield to a modified bow bracket that would shade the front seats, but still allow the gun to be mounted.

Of course, I'd have to come up with a name other than bikini top. Combat top? Gunner's top? SCP top? (skin cancer preventer)
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

The Raven
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by The Raven » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:09 am

I heard you can use the top like that by putting it up and folding the back up under rather than strapping it down

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”