Source For Springs For Your Jeep

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Jerry Hudgens
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Source For Springs For Your Jeep

Post by Jerry Hudgens » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:30 am

Since this forum is now restricted to specifically the Jeep, I am composing it in that context.

I use small springs occasionally when restoring such things as electrical switches on the Jeep.

Sources for such small springs include:

Cigarette lighters have a small spring that is easy to remove by just removing the thumb-wheel and small bracket that holds it in place using a pair of pliers.

Hand operated spray bottles all have a spring used to return the pull lever/trigger. You can retrieve these springs by using a pair of pliers to pull the spray bottle head apart. Some are a little difficult to pull apart but you just have to pull hard. There are about 3 different designs for the spray bottle head so you can get about 3 different size springs from these. Plus, some of the springs appear to be made out of stainless steel which is nice in that they do not rust.
Incidentally, each spray bottle head has a small steel ball that sits on top of the pick-up tube. To retrieve the steel ball, just pull the pickup tube out of the head being careful to capture the ball when it falls out. I save these in my plastic jars I keep bearings in and have found them handy for some uses. Again the balls seem to be made of stainless steel.

Finally, if you are scrapping out an old printer, I find that they are chock full of springs of various sizes plus they have some nice shafts that you can save for various projects.

Although saving springs is not a big deal, when you need one, a saved spring that fits your purpose saves a trip to the hardware store (which is not going to have the size you need anyway).

Jerry Hudgens

raymond
G-General
G-General

Re: Source For Springs For Your Jeep

Post by raymond » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:12 am

If you are looking for something that must be exact, check with a gunsmith. My local gunsmith has a cabinet with what must be hundreds of different types and sizes of springs.

Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”