1942-1943 MB great project!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
bnsdesign
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

1942-1943 MB great project!

Post by bnsdesign » Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Thanks G503...... The MB has a great new home in England

I purchased this MB in 1995 in the exact condition as you see in the photos. I drove it for about 2 years and then parked it in the garage with intentions to complete a full restoration. 14 years later- I now have a wife, kids, and a career so I have decided to let her go.......the MB that is. Below is a FULL description of everything I know about this MB. Some pictures are below as well as a link to my Photobucket page with a lot more pictures

WILLYS MB, Date of Delivery Dec 30th 1942- Jan 3rd 1943
SERIAL# 199719
HOOD# 20251697

History and info-
I bought the MB in California in 1995 from a gentleman who told me that he had bought it as surplus from the government. I would guess that would have been 1952 since the DMV registration has it titled as a 1952 Willys and a first date of sale of 00/00/52. The gentleman told me that it was a 1943 Ford GPW. There is 1 data plate on the dash which must be a reproduction Ford plate (Thanks to everyone on G503 for helping me sort out the true identity of this MB). I was given a funny little metal plate that has USA-20251697 and SERIAL-199719 stamped into it. Again thanks G503 members for telling me that it must be a military surplus inventory plate. I finally found out this is a Willys MB. There is no info regarding the military history of this MB. I have not yet been able to find the body numbers stamped into the toeboard gusset. The DMV VIN is MB632874......could this be the body number that I have yet to find?

Modifications-
The previous owner took out the original engine and dropped in a 1955 Chevy 265 V8 sometime in the 60's or 70's. To make the engine fit he and his buddys cut out the original front cross member, lenghtened the hood, added sheetmetal to the sides of the engine compartment, moved the grill forward, removed the original pedal assembly, and modified the original transmission hump. Electric system was changed to 12 volt. From what I was told and from what I can see.... except for the engine, most of the original running gear is still intact- tranny (not sure), transfer case, front and rear axle housings, drive shafts, brakes, etc. The wheels look to be of CJ2 origin. The front seat frames have been modified and the seats are out of an old mustang. From what I can tell, the rear seat is original, re-upholstered in vinyl. The steering column is original but the steering wheel is certainly not. I painted the numbers on the hood when I first purchased the MB, they mean nothing. Tow bar mounts have been welded to the front bumper. The pintel hook has been replaced with a tow hitch. The worst modification is the removal and replacement of the front cross member with a steel I beam. I know there are MB frames and portions of MB frames for sale on this board so I am sure this could be returned to original unless you just want to replace the entire frame. The chassis was painted black by the original owner.

Restoration-
Here is my list of the major requirements for restoration.
-Correct Engine, radiator, etc
-Tranny (not sure if it is the MB's or belongs to the Chevy V8).
-New front floorpan to replace the modified transmission hump.
-New hood.
-Removal of extra sheetmetal that was bolted on to extend the hood forward. The original mounting points for the grill are still intact in their original location and the fenders have not been modified. The original owner seemed to be very careful to make sure all of the front sheetmetal could be unbolted, slid back into the original location, and reattached without any welding or damage.
-Correct pedal assembly
-Correct front seats and seat frames
-Correct steering wheel
I know there is a lot more involved in a restoration but these are the MAJOR items.

Condition-
The body and frame of this MB are in fantastic shape. There is no rust or metal rot except for some areas of the cross bracing running under the front floor pan. There is no rust on the body. The body is straight, no large dents, maybe a few door ding type dents. There have been some extra holes drilled into the body for a soft top and other junk. Except for the front cross member and engine mounts, the frame is in wonderful shape . This MB is a great candidate for a restoration; this is NOT a trashed body and frame that have been out in a field rotting away for 70 years. Although modified, this MB has been well taken care of and treated to an indoor life. I have now had it parked outside for 3 months in the dry California sunshine. I have not started nor driven this MB in over 10 years.....it does not start or drive. I'm sure the gas is now jelly and that all the fluids need to be replaced. I have contemplated getting it running but I figure anybody who wants to restore it really doesn't care if the V8 is running. I know that the engine is an original 1955 Chevy 265 V8 which is valuable to guys restoring 55 chevys.......it's the first year of a Chevy production V8.

Price-
I bought this MB for $4000 in 1995 and I am selling it for $4000 in 2009. No inflation! I am located in Orange County, Southern California. The MB has a clean title and all registration is up to date as a non-operational vehicle. It is titled as a 1952 Willys. I am more than happy to answer any questions, email pictures, or take more pictures of specific items at your request. Feel free to email me at bnsdesign@sbcglobal.net
I hope she finds a happy home!

Link to all pictures on photobucket website-
http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 ... 2-43%20MB/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by bnsdesign on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnsdesign
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: 1942-1943 MB FOR SALE, great project!

Post by bnsdesign » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:44 am

I see that a lot of people have looked at my MB but so far not much interest. Would this MB be better off as a parts donor? I am considering parting it out if i don't get more interest. Is the MB too far gone to be a good restoration project? Any insight or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone,
BNSdesign

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Oh no, not at all. IMHO you just picked a terrible time to sell. The economy has suppressed not just prices but disposable income as well. From my observations over a period of many years (decades, actually) I think you're asking a fair price for what's there & it's certainly restorable. In fact, it's kind of cool just the way it is because of the "vintage" power plant & fact that it doesn't seem to be a butcher job. Two years ago that thing would have been gone in a heart beat at that price, now it seems that everybody is afraid to part with their money for just about anything..........which in essence is a huge part of the whole economic problem. I doubt that lowering the price would have much effect unless you went to the point of giving it away, as I honestly don't think the price is the real problem, lack of spending money & a shrinking pool of potential buyers (folks interested in WWII stuff) is the problem. I don't think think you're alone either.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Cuz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:48 am

Good MB projects are still selling. JAB is mostly on target with the economics issues but they are still moving. The problem is even though your MB has a nicely done Chevy V8 conversion the cost of bringing her back will be much higher than can be reconciled with their initial outlay compared to a stock project in roughly the same condition. Your only hope is to find someone with an insatiable thirst for V8 Chevy powered MB's. Your next best bet is to pull the V8 and put it on the early 55 to 57 Chevy resto market and assemble the rest of the conversion items (extension panels, hood, mounts, adapter bell housing, hanging pedals, hydraulic clutch, Rear engine dog house and tranny panels and etc) and put them together as a small block Chevy conversion package for Mb's through the CJ3A. Then sell the MB as a basic almost rust free rolling resto project. :wink:
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:39 pm

BNS,
Personally, that MB looks COOL! However, the fenders need to be lengthened to the front of the hood. How fast will she go with the V8 installed?
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

willy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by willy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:48 pm

The V8 conversion was very popular special the small V8 289
The jeep will travel as fast as the speed limit will allow.
We had to trun off the engine to see if the road was going up or down hill.
Unlike with the four banger you can only pass any one going down hill.
Do not let any young person behind the wheel because the T90 is very small for the V8
I have repaired many T90's for people that had this coversion.
Special pulling away from the stop line it is over in 3 seconds.
Willy
I have Military and Radio Surplus.
MVPA Life Member 683
1943 GPW 98356, 1964 M151, and trailers, plus many Radio's 916-761-5293
Seabee Navy 1982-1988
NRA life Member, KE6EMX
Sold M35A2, M38, M38A1, M880 M37B1 all restored by me

bnsdesign
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by bnsdesign » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:07 pm

The jeep goes as fast as the running gear will allow......over 55 just feels like too much for the MB running gear. All that gear whine is a little scary. Not to mention how terrible the brakes are alone, not to mention with the added weight of the V8. I had to litterally stand on the brakes to slow this jeep down.......but I thought it was a lot of fun being on the edge of control. I always wondered how it would stop if I had serviced the brakes. Regarding off the line performance....I was in high school when I bought this jeep and even then I knew better than to throttle a big V8 against a running gear made for a little 4 banger. I just figured that the whole driveline would bind and break, causing the engine to break off and spin around in the engine compartment until I got killed because I couldnt stop the thing from rolling down the road :shock:
The Willys MB and Ford GPW were made for a 4 banger.....period.

Wolfy
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

1942 Willys MB bought via G503 - Restoration Update

Post by Wolfy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 am

***UPDATE***

Willys MB 199719 20251697 DOD 31st December 42.

Well folks it’s been over 3 years since I bought this Jeep from here on G503, how time flies! Sooooo I thought I would give an update on the restoration. In the interim period I have moved home and also my parents where the Jeep was stored so lots has happened.

To recap I’m the third owner from the US Army with the first owner converting to a V8 ‘hot rod’ in the 60’s and adding a longer bonnet and steel to the side wings. It was also bright yellow at some point, most likely when it was rodded.

Apart from 2 years use by my seller Brandon, the Jeep was laid up for a long time. The V8 was removed before shipping, I hoped to sell it but it had cracks internally.

In stripping it I have found many Ford marked parts and bolts so there was obviously a donor for these bits at some stage.

Everyone loves photos right?

The Jeep gains weight fast! Loaded with spares - 2 engines, axles, transfer cases, gearbox, radiator and lots more. More info on the engines later.

Good to go

Watch those corners!

Some pictures of the Jeep arriving in the UK and then home. The first series of photos are a bit grainy as I had the wrong camera setting selected...too much going on.

I had to collect a hired trailer, swap its bulbs for 24 volt, drive to the Port in Kent, drive home, unload, swap the bulbs again and get the trailer back.

Looks like little is towing large but this was actually the Wolf stopping Jeepy running into the house! No one around to help me at this point so I was being cautious with the slight slope on my parents driveway.

2 retired soldiers take it easy. Check out that number plate – FVJ 104 – FAVOURITE JEEP 10–4! It’s a sign from above.

I couldn’t wait to strip off the modified bonnet and extras and put a normal one in its place to get the iconic look back.

I pulled the modified cover on the transmission area, the floor underneath was butchered but repairable. T90 transmission had to go. Look at the position of that accelerator pedal!

I’ve seen this exact orange paint on a few Jeeps its quite recognisable, what’s that all about? Did someone do a good trade in bright orange in the 60s?

Save a Tree Eat a Beaver

Home

and so it begins.......the reality for many is often a cramped garage with crap everywhere due to limited space but somehow it works.

Hope that’s of interest? If it is I’ll post up more of the restoration.
MB199719 - 20251697

Austin Tilly 1943 - 221336

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: 1942-1943 MB FOR SALE, great project! SOLD

Post by thidisbogus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Really look forward to following your restoration thread...

lawcdw
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by lawcdw » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:44 pm

I would say this thread is most INSPIRING.Yes i think that is the word,Interesting yes it is that too a solid foundation for a very good thread.Your jeep born with a 4 cyl,then a V-8, and now back to a 4 cyl.I'll stick to Inspiring,very nice job you are doing and i would like to follow your progress as well! Claude

Wolfy
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wolfy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Stripping the Jeep is pretty quick and you learn a lot.

Notice the chunk out of the top of the firewall to take the V8.

To accommodate the V8 engine this plate was added to the firewall to hold a master cylinder. I think Bubba must have messed up the holes cut in the firewall and decided to hide it with this. It will all get welded up again.

The chassis was painted black but like everything on this Jeep the original Olive colour was hiding just beneath. The rear offside shock mount had been repaired badly with a plate over it and not straight. This was sorted.

As well as some cracks in the frame which I beefed up with weld.

And some minor rust pitting...this was the only bit of rust I found on the 70 year old frame...very impressive! Hope I am that good at 70.

I cut off various added brackets and bits and pieces from the chassis. These were all related to the V8 and the hanging pedals.

I used an original front cross member from another Jeep to repair mine.

The original hood number was stamped into the round chassis plate.

The bright orange again.

There was more body tub rust than I thought but as 70 year old Jeeps go it was pretty good, mostly around the hat channel supports like always. The California climate had been relatively kind to this old boy.

Once you start with the screwdriver you just have to keep going until you’re at fresh metal again.

One of the first repairs I did was cutting out a botched mounting plate and welding in an identical one from another crossmember that came in one of the box of bits. I think it was from an M38A1, notice the different shape.

Some time after this repair I discovered the joys of flapper discs for finishing off welds but I’m pretty pleased with it.
MB199719 - 20251697

Wolfy
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wolfy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:24 am

Hey all Skipping through time I thought I'd post some updates, these photos were taken a while ago.

Ready for blasting

Blasted!

More to follow.
MB199719 - 20251697

Wolfy
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wolfy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:31 am

Jumping time again....

Chassis refurbished, correct crossmember, battery tray added, bumper brackets. A high point in the build. Combat wheels will replace these.

MB199719 - 20251697

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:34 am

Hi Wolfy,

Great job!!!!

Did you find the body number on the front of the driver's side body gusset. This is a body made after June '44 . Were there palnuts ( sheet metal formed jam nuts ) on the body bolts when you removed the body ?

Wolfy
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Wolfy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:50 am

Kind words Tom thanks

Yes I found the body number - 234185. The Jeep is a classic motor pool Jeep with quite a lot of Ford parts.

I think Palnuts are probably what I'd call captive nuts...they are encased in metal but move around a little? Yes there were some of those on the underside.
MB199719 - 20251697

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”