One Combat Wheel, Unserviceable ?

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Don Parrish
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
One Combat Wheel, Unserviceable ?

Post by Don Parrish » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:27 am

I have one combat wheel which actually came apart easily. When beginning to wire brush and clean, I discovered the lug mounting holes have been damaged and poorly welded. Does this make the wheel unserviceable? Or can a better welding job and reshaping the holes make this wheel useable and safe. Actually want to sell instead of scraping. Any value here before or after potential repair? Don Parrish

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: One Combat Wheel, Unserviceable ?

Post by Mark Jesic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am

Don, i have recently seen some combat wheels for sale at £150 each, and these were repro, bear in mind this is England , the most expensive place in the world for jeeps and parts.(unless you guys know different). :?:

GUNNUT in Iowa
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:34 pm

I understand that some unserviceable combat wheels will make good spare tire wheels - assuming, of course, that you don't actually "need" your spare tire at some time.

Let me know, when you decide to sell it.

:D
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:49 pm

I had 5 combat rims repaired recently. The lug nut holes are now perfect. I will be taking the next 5 rims back there for the same repair very soon.

My point being....yes, yours can be repaired. It would obviously worth more once it’s been repaired. How much do straight, solid original combats sell for these days? Repro rims sell for $200 a piece?
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”