ARMY STYLE PM WORKS

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

ARMY STYLE PM WORKS

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:01 am

After you have mechanically and restored your Jeep to the best of your ability, it is time to keep it in that shape and what better way to keep your pride and joy trouble free than the Army way.
We are not all mechanics, and the same for the GI's who drove them during WWII. Start with simple maintenance as prescribed in TM9-803A Section V., First Echelon Maintenance, follow the chores best you can, you will soon be aware of your Jeep's habits and needs. In due time this will become automatic and the list of procedures will something that will attended to by habit.
For those of you that are somewhat mechanically inclined, Section IX, Second Echelon Preventive Maintenance is the next step.
Practice makes perfect and you will soon be aware of your Jeep's needs and enjoy more or less trouble free operation by your awareness to PM and hopefully have less disappointments when you go to drive your Jeep.

I have practiced this routine since the late 50's and have enjoyed trouble free operation with no surprises.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: ARMY STYLE PM WORKS

Post by 42swing » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:43 am

I find myself using a lot of the tools from my GMTK doing routine PM on not only my Jeep, but the other prewar vintage cars I own and maintain. They just seem to work better, or fit better, than more modern tools plus its kinda fun using the period tools on a period application. Also, the same basic maintenance routine as detailed in the TM works well weather its a Model T or Jeep.

Having said that, I do use modern jack stands, floor jacks, torque wrenches, etc.
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 am

I remember when when I was a young army (well ok National Guard) private and my Staff Sergeant Platoon Sergeant came over to inspect my PM. There wasn't anything to inspect because I blew off the record keeping :lol: talk about an a$$ chewing :lol: ah the good old days!
I'm grateful to him really for being tough because I never forgot those lessons and can do PM with my eyes closed. but in those days it was a 2 person chore; ya weren't supposed to do it by yourself. one poor dumb bastard had to read the checklist while the other PDB did the check.

by the way there are 72 million grease zerts on a M113 :lol:
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:38 am

It's a good feeling once your Jeep is in mechanical condition to just grab a rag and a wrench or two and practice what was enjoyable and successful back in the good old days. It worked then and does now and pays off in spades.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”