How many questions do I get? Bad Day?

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Re: How many questions do I get? Bad Day?

Post by JIMN » Thu May 26, 2016 9:53 am

Chuck Lutz wrote:However, YOU need to know what you want and give them a few questions on the first call because I think they get too many calls that require heading back to the warehouse to find answers one trip at a time..
Good social tip. Except that was the first call, and it all happened within 15 seconds of conversation, and 1 initial voluntary trip to check stock... I am certain many folks here are in sales, and you either know your products well, or you happily find the answers to the customer questions. Imagine if this guy was in outside sales and had to drive for two hours one way just to answer questions....

.....and of course it wasn't Oregon. :D
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

Tapper02
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Tapper02 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 am

In Jim's defense…..
I'm not a Jeep guy but I have run into similar situations with other dealers. The thing is, if you own a business and have a large stock in this day and age, wouldn't it behoove you to have a database that keeps track of everything you have. This would eliminate "trips to the warehouse" to check, and just makes plain old good business sense. A quick search and…voila! As a customer paying for the part and the shipping, don't you want to make sure the dealer is sending you the correct part??
And no, you don't have to be computer savvy since there are a lot of services that can set it all up for you. This comes down to the plain old "give a s**t" factor…some guys think that as parts dealers they somehow in their many years of being in business, have earned the right to treat their customers poorly. Well, customers have the right to take their business, and money, elsewhere. There is always someone else with the parts….no one has a monopoly.

-Tom
1944 Autocar M3A1 Halftrack
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer

MVPA # 30507

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Thu May 26, 2016 8:35 pm

Well, out of about 7 or 8 attempts, only one person guessed who it was. Which is a good thing for this vendor, but a bad thing for some of the other places that seemed to be a popular guess..
In any case, I posted the thread because I thought it was funny. And I do think he just had a bad day. Sometime you just have to have a sense of humor :D .

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Fri May 27, 2016 1:26 pm

OK, I had to put my 2 cents in, PM sent.

Besides, if the place isn't run by a curmudgeon, it probably won't be worth going to. :lol: :lol: That is 40 plus years of experience going to surplus yards, junk yards, parts places, etc. Also, if the roof does not leak, they probably have nothing of consequence to see. The scruffier the place looks, the better the parts.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri May 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Right on Bro.! :wink:
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Old Dodge Guy wrote:The scruffier the place looks, the better the parts.
Isn't that the truth! :D
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Fri May 27, 2016 7:00 pm

I agree about scruffiness.... Sort of like an antiques shop.
Nobody prefers an antique shop in a mall over a run down barn full of antiques........and with the curmudgeon old guy! :wink:

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”