Restoration of GP 8546

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Restoration of GP 8546

Post by DannyP » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks Zeph, It will be very satisfying when I get it back together. Especially considering the trouble I have had getting them apart! I will look into the endplay, but the GP trans doesn't have thrust washers on the cluster gear. I do need to check it on the Tcase though. I am learning the debacles are just part of the fun! At least it will be easier the second time it comes apart!

Update for me I have been busy helping my grandmother move the last couple weeks. I still have worked on the GP almost everyday at least for an hour or so. Right now having difficulty removing the main shaft from the Tcase. All of my new new gears, bearings seals etc are here for rebuilding except the gasket set should be here tomorrow. Hopefully by the end of next week I will be painting the cases and putting things back together! I would update more, but I seem to be stuck with nasty dirty driveline parts endlessly. Nothing exciting. I will post a pic of the shaft that is fighting me to death right now. Also I got new seats today! They will look so much better than the plywood bench! I got a new air compressor and blast cabinet last week too. I guess Tater the wonder dog snuck in the pic also. Has to sniff everything new. Then back to chasing the cat.

Danny
1941 Ford GP
My restoration thread viewtopic.php?f=144&t=241570

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Well today I took the body, frame and a bunch of other parts off to be dipped and electrolysed. I've been putting it off because I don't know who I am going to have do the bodywork on my GP. Last week I took the transmission and transfer case off to be ran through the steam cleaner machine. The shop I took them to weren't very confident they could get them clean enough to paint. So that pushed me over the edge I took those parts along with everything else to get dipped. They'll all be clean now. Should be done on Thursday. Hopefully there will be more left than a bucket of rust colored water. I need to stop lifting all that stuff by myself too. Here it was on it's way to the dipper. Now time to find a body guy!!! Feels good to take another big step forward.

Danny
1941 Ford GP

lawcdw
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by lawcdw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Nice Work Dan,and FORWARD MARCH!!!!!!!

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks Claude!

It's back.... Results were a mixed bag for me. Some areas of the body were better than expected others were way worse than I would have thought. Some with the other parts. Nothing world ending or really crushed my spirits though. I was kind of surprised with the residue that was left on everything though. It come off easily enough luckily. Some big rust holes on the drivers side. The fenders are almost perfect. Wheels pretty good too. Time to make some more progress. Need to get these pieces primed before they rust away again. I would have liked to take better pics, but it looked like is was about to rain and I was told not to get it wet.

Here are some pics.

Danny
1941 Ford GP

acmack
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by acmack » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Danny, your GP body is far better than most!

Those "big" rust holes on the drivers side are small and easily repaired.

Buy a small MIG welder and start practicing your welds. The small amount of bodywork your GP needs would be perfect to learn on and believe me there is nothing more satisfying than to see the restoration come to life from your own hands!
That way you get it done exactly the way you want it and and you'll save a lot of money in the process.

David
Any other spacecraft or missile owners out there?
60' M422 538
65' Apollo BP CM A-36
60' Gemini BP CM MSC312

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks Amack! If it were only the lil rust holes on the drivers side!!! Sooo much more you can't see in that pic. It is more than I can tackle. Probable that you're right and I could do it, but the tools I would need to make some of these pieces would break me. Plus I really want it to be as correct as I can have it.

I've never made a pallet before. Hope it holds up! See you later GP body. Hope you look brand new when you get back!!

Here is where I'm at now. If I can figure out how to cut the plywood in the dark I hope to finish yet tonight! I need to stop lifting this by myself. Or I'll be hospitalized and never finish.

Hopefully I will be back working on the transfer case Wednesday.
Danny
1941 Ford GP

chasendeer
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chasendeer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Danny
Are you sending it to a local body shop? Or a jeep shop?
It look great so far.
Jay

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Chasendeer... It's heading to California out your way. Hopefully tomorrow, but I'll probably have to wait til Wednesday. Going to a shop that specializes in restoring these.
Danny
1941 Ford GP

ejhauser
G-Civilian

Post by ejhauser » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am

DannyP wrote:Chasendeer... It's heading to California out your way. Hopefully tomorrow, but I'll probably have to wait til Wednesday. Going to a shop that specializes in restoring these.
Hi Danny, its Evert. Just found out how to find you on this site. Things are looking really good. Is there anything I can help you with. I can do just about anything and I have a welder and torches if needed.

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Danny,

Perhaps I have missed seeing the post but what have you figured out about the motor in your GP ?

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Everet, Of course now you offer help after I sucked out the million pounds of mouse poo! You're welcome to come over and help or just check the progress out anytime. Just give me a day or so notice. Really isn't much to see here now. The frame straightening is being finished up. I was over helping riveting on the front bumper Monday. The body is in California! Hopefully it will be back before spring. Plan is to have the frame, motor, axles etc done and ready when the body is finished.

Tom, The motor is a mystery and probably always will be! The block has no SN stamped into it as far as I can see. It does have a fuel pump, GP head, GP distributor parts and some other GP stamped things. The oil pan that came with it is not the typical stamped GP oil pan. I have one now that I am going to install. The oil pan it came with is cast and looks just like the drawings in the manuals. Sometime soon I will post a pic and see if anyone recognizes it. I would think it's from a truck but I've been told it's not that either? The camshaft has 9n 6250 cast into it long ways. It also has a fuel pump lobe...which I'm told isn't possible! I read somewhere that it could still have GP stamped on the end as some do, but I haven't got it that far apart yet. I did buy another camshaft just incase I need it. Maybe I will learn more when I tear it down for the trip to the machine shop. That should be coming very soon. I really don't know much else. After it is rebuilt, painted, and I bolt all the correct parts onto it at least it will look proper! There will be lots of pics of it soon.

Holidays, the flu and not having a heated shop are slowing me down some. I have still been out there almost everyday. Just making little progress nothing worthy of pics. Sandblasting, painting and chasing the threads on bolts is pretty boring! The transmission is done and the transfer case should be done this weekend. I have all the steering parts now...except the wheel. I need to get that to the machine shop next week and it should be a very quick fix for me. It doesn't look very complicated. Of course the new column was on back order, but here now!

Here is a pic of the rivets the other day

Danny
1941 Ford GP

lawcdw
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by lawcdw » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Very Interesting Thread Danny; Very nice progress you are making.I hope you don't mind me posting a pic or two.You said someone told you that it's not possible to have a 9N Camshaft with a Fuel Pump Lobe.I know you know yourself that is exactly what you have.And i have one too !!
Attachments
IMG_1980 (480x360) (2).jpg
IMG_1980 (480x360) (2).jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 2291 times

acmack
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by acmack » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:22 am

The 9N tractor has a cast oil pan.

David
Any other spacecraft or missile owners out there?
60' M422 538
65' Apollo BP CM A-36
60' Gemini BP CM MSC312

lawcdw
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by lawcdw » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:13 am

Yes the 9N tractor oil pan is a Cast Pan,but is very different in that the very front of pan is very thick and flat.It also has 6 or 8 bolt holes in which the 9N front axle assembly bolts to in order to support the front of the Tractor.I have never seen a cast GP Oilpan that resembles the GP pan like Danny has shown!!

DannyP
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by DannyP » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:20 pm

You're right Claude...No matter what they say they do exist. Mine actually has the 9N stamped long ways with the shaft. Kind of 90* tilted compared to yours. I have read that the GP camshaft and the truck camshaft have a hotter grind than the 9N camshaft. I bought a truck camshaft 2NC-6250. I'll see if there is a difference. Thanks for the pic I'm glad to see I'm not crazy!

My oil pan isn't from a 9N. Like Claude said no bolts/flat area for a front axle. I dunno what it is. I would not at all be surprised if it has been replaced at some point just not sure what it came with. My GP took a big hit in the front at some point. Bumper gone, frame bent, tie rod bent, skid plates bent, even the front grill. I'm sure whatever it ran over would have destroyed the stamped oil pan.

Promise I'll have pics of it up soon. It is buried in the corner of the barn with some other scrap. Engine is next. Right now I need to figure out my steering box mess. I ordered all the parts and the worm gear was wrong as were the sector shaft bushings. Really frustrating. I can't seem to figure out the correct part numbers, might just have to order all of them and return what doesn't fit! I'll be back at it Tuesday or Wednesday. Frame is done too.
Danny
1941 Ford GP

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”