MY MILITARY CAMPERETTI

For posting of Trailer, Towed Artillery and Hand Carts. As Found, Restored or Present Condition
Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

MY MILITARY CAMPERETTI

Post by Rod Rushton » Sun May 31, 2015 2:42 am

I have long wanted to create something to use for weekenders and tours out of the '43 Willys MBT trailer I have owned for 45 years. My thinking was to create something like a folding tent which slips into the trailer bed without damaging it.
Faced with selling the Chevrolet G506 I restored to use as my "home" for the D-Day celebrations in Normandy last year - at 9 miles per gallon of gas and the physical constrains of advancing years, my pension was finding it a strain to keep this brilliant but expensive vehicle - I spotted the Military Teardrop Camper on this forum, made by Tamnalan. I immediately knew this was the answer to my prayers, and PM'd him to see if he had any plans for this construction. He did send me a photocopied drawing - more of a sketch really - and more importantly many photos of his build.
Having determined this was my way forward, I set about finding a Jeep trailer to use for the chassis as my MBT was too good to cut about for this purpose, due to the modifications necessary.
As luck would have it an old friend of mine happened to have the remains of one which he deemed beyond economical restoration as the body had definitely seen better days.I was made a present of this, which much to my surprise turned out to be an M-100 Dunbar Keppel dated 1952. This was exactly the same as Tamnalan used - I was overjoyed! plus being post-war I did not feel so bad at restructuring it for a new life.

During the course of the build - which took just over 18 months due to various other factors interrupting the work - Tamnalan's friend Mac McLusky contacted me with photos and progress with his build (See Mac's Teardrop on this forum) and I am indebted to both of them for their inputs and assistance. Although Tiny Teardrops are becoming increasingly popular here in the UK, I believe mine is the first Military Version to emerge.
I wanted to add some "Military garnish" to the exterior and to that end I was lucky to find a 2 gallon French Wine Jerrican - made of Aluminum and stamped "VIN", to use for water. Also the usual .50 Cal ammo box for spares etc, but finding a 2/3 scale Jeep spade in my local farm shop inspired me to make a 60% sized Pioneer Tool Rack containing the spade, a 3lb felling ax, and a belt mattock. A Coca-Cola bottle opener is also fitted for convenience.

Last Weekend, the MVT Cornwall held a season opener weekender, Mylor D-Day 71, near Falmouth and I used this show as the inaugural outing for my creation, towed by my recent acquisition, an Austin Light Utility, complete with "Mickey Mouse Ear" camouflage.
The only reason I used this vehicle was my Jeep's legal paperwork had not arrived in time.

However, next weekend there is an event to celebrate the US Army's D-Day Assault Training at Woolacombe and Braunton Beaches in North Devon, I will definitely take the Jeep on that . There still remains the Wartime concrete practice landing craft we can use, as well as having special permission to drive on this historic foreshore.
A fly over by our '44 L4H Cub plus others - weather permitting - will add an air of authenticity to the event (I hope!)

A photo of the Camperetti can be seen on Photobucket as the photos I have are of too large definition to be accepted here.
http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/r4682 ... l.jpg.html
Rod Rushton - Winner 2013 MVT Wilkinson Sword Trophy
Exeter Devon UK
FORD GPW 202055 DoD 5 - 22 - 44 Serial# 20534360
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43
Piper Cub 1944 L4H 480015 G-AKIB

1942 CHEVROLET G506 CARGO. #2NM 213219
1943 AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY M6448770

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Re: MY MILITARY CAMPERETTI

Post by Gordon_M » Sun May 31, 2015 3:49 am

Very nice Rod, you'll get years of use out of that. I did consider something similar on an M19 ski/ wheel trailer chassis, but the complete lack of suspension would make it legally a bit suspect.

As for advancing years, seems only yesterday you sold me a rear seat for my WC56 :mrgreen: I think it was a repaired original that you used to make some new ones - I put it in a back body I got from Alan Chapman - ex Pete Gray I think.

Old ? never
Last edited by Gordon_M on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

Destructo6
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Destructo6 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

Looks beautiful.

How does it sleep?
God gave you a soul.
Your parents, a body.
Your country, a rifle.

Keep all of them clean.

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Great job! How long is it... did you go more than 7 feet? I think I would go at least 7' 6" if I make another, and maybe a bit taller like Mac did.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Guys.
At the moment I am very happy with how it is, and for me it is perfect.
There is no doubt to make a longer one is completely feasible. The proportions would give more space and height, and allow more room on the outsides for gas can and water carriers. Since I rarely needed to climb inside during the day, I see more need to develop an awning system to have somewhere to sit either in the shade or out of the weather. To this end I have had made from ripstop Army Tent material a sheet which is supported by a couple of poles and a wind-break. This worked well with the Chevrolet, but so far I have not tried this out yet, but plan to do so this weekend, and will report back on the practicalities.
Exeter Devon UK
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:08 am

I have been giving some thoughts to making another one.
I have acquired the chassis off a British Mortar Trailer. The spring centres are 48" which would allow me to make the camper 4' long. 4' high and 8' long excluding the drawbar (lunette?)
This one would painted as a British Vehicle and feature the camouflage pattern we call "Mickey Mouse Ears" to match my '43 Austin Light utility (Tilly) which I am using at the moment to tow my US Marked "Camperetti" which then could revert to my GPW.
The construction would follow the same path as before, but I would not use such heavy steel in the chassis construction, and an overun brake hitch would be incorporated as the Tilly brakes are rod operated and not up to the efficiency of modern ones.
The ex-caravan half-door is a success and can be obtained very cheaply "previously owned" I bought 3 horse box windows for the Camperetti build and still have couple left over.
The number of people who come over at shows is incredible as the Camperetti excites a lot of interest, especially with the Ladies. Small children love it as they can relate to the size - one young girl even asked if I could build her one like a Dolls House!
Watch this space for future developments............
Exeter Devon UK
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by tamnalan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:21 am

You should build a teardrop camper glider to pull behind your Piper Cub! :D
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:08 am

For the first time this weekend I towed the Camperetti to an event behind my '44 GPW. The venue was LUPTON HOUSE, near Brixham and Dartmouth in Devon UK.http://www.lupton1940sweekend.co.uk/
This was the American Forces HQ for the marshaling of troops and materiel prior to D-Day, and there are still traces of dug-outs and trenches at the back of the house. As it was close to Dartmouth and Brixham ports which were used to load up the transports for Normandy, and the loading ramps are still in use today, but for pleasure craft and launching individual speedboats and other craft.

As this was a two-day event with re-enactors and displays, with AJ's Big Band to entertain us on Saturday Night, I went down early on Friday and parked in my designated spot. The area in front of the house is laid to grass,but not very big, so we all had to cooperate with the space available.

As I had been invited down to Plymouth for a conducted tour of the Whitsand Bay Napoleonic fortifications (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitsand_Bay) and gun emplacements, followed by a carvery lunch in the restaurant, I left the Camperetti at Lupton for the day, as these tours are specially arranged for groups, and too good an opportunity to miss - so I drove the Jeep down to join several others at the Fort.

After lunch we had a very special treat : a visit to see S-130 ( http://www.bmpt.org.uk/boats/S130/index3.htm)- one of the last surviving German E-Boats, which is in the process of being restored.
It is now housed in a purpose built industrial unit, with sufficient space to store parts removed and awaiting their turn for overhaul, etc.
I knew they were big, but it surprised me just how big it is. The task ahead is mammoth, and the owner is waiting for further funding to proceed - but he is determined to complete the job.

Afterwards, I returned to Lupton to enjoy the rest of the weekend. The Jeep had no trouble pulling the Camperetti, and amongst other things spent a lot of time chatting to visitors and explaining that it was not an original WW2 vehicle, but something I had made myself, inspired and guided by Tamnalan off the G503 Website
Exeter Devon UK
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:55 am

Rod, Sweet Teardrop! I took the liberty of posting a couple of your pics of your rigs!

All you need to do to post your Photobucket pics is left click on the "IMG" heading on the "Share Links" box that is in the upper left near the picture you want to post. It will turn yellow and say "Copied". Then go back to your G post and right click and "Paste" the link into the post. Easy Peasy!

Some more hints:
Double check that the pics will appear properly by checking the preview post box to see what it will look like when it appears on the forum.
I usually will make any text bold and dark blue so it appears better and easier to read with the large pictures. The "B" in the square you see above where you type your response will make text bold. Then the "Font Color" box when clicked will drop down a few dozen colors you can choses for your text. You will need to highlight the text you want to make bold, resize or colored first before clicking the boxes. Best way to learn how to use them is to play around with it!

Hope this helps!

43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY - Towed Accessories”