Bomb Trailers

For posting of Trailer, Towed Artillery and Hand Carts. As Found, Restored or Present Condition
gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Bomb Trailers

Post by gerrykan » Thu May 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Roy

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Re: Bomb Trailers

Post by gerrykan » Thu May 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Roy

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Thu May 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Roy

geargrinder
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by geargrinder » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for posting the three pictures of bomb trucks and trailers.
The third one from Guadalcanal shows a Bomb truck and trailer
that is interesting. I have seen a surviving example of the trailer
here on the G503. I wonder if the truck is a 4X4 Ford. I Have only
seen one other example in a WW2 photo book.

Craig Johnson
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Craig Johnson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 am

Dont like saying this out loud but about 35 Years ago (makes me feel old) My Dad, brother and I were on our typical hunt for Military vehicles in Washington State and there were two Bomb Trucks in a field. One was the standard GTB and the other was one of the civilian versions like the one pictured. Defiantly Military and not just a farmer conversion. I was like Dad can you buy that for me just like most 12 year olds. He didnt. Will see if I can find the picture of it.
Craig..The newcomer Johnson

MVPA 3642
My website
http://www.handcartz.com
Own a bunch of hand carts
http://handcartz.smugmug.com/gallery/509020/

Always buying anything for the U.S. Army Hand Cart. Parts, manuals, accessories. Even the smallest screw.

AROOGA
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by AROOGA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Gents,

The Parade Pic shows a Chevy M6 Bomb Service Truck with two M5 Bomb Trailers in tow. The Chevy M6 with M5 Bomb Trailers were a typical configuration primarily used by the USAAF. Production of the Chevy M6 Bomb Service truck basically concluded in late 1944 when it was replaced by a much bigger M27 Bomb Service Truck (using a CCKW) with heavier duty bomb hoisting and loading accessories. As you can imagine, the M27 could provide more appropriate aviation ordnance support for the bulkier and heavier loads of the B-24 and B-29, let alone the B-17. The comparable Bomb Service Trucks used by the Marines and Navy (mostly in the Pacific) were the Ford GTBS and GTBC. They used the Ford GTBS Bomb Service Truck early in WW II. The GTBS is most recognizable by its single wheels on the rear axle. Circa 1943 the heavier duty Ford GTBC Bomb Service Truck replaced the GTBS earlier version. The GTBC is most recognizable by its dual wheels on the rear axle.. Both the Ford GTBS and Ford GTBC differed in appearance from the Chevy M6 because they did not use a "Park-Like Bench" for Crew Seating in the Service Bed as the Chevy M6 did. The Marines and Navy typically used the Mark II Bomb Trailer with their Ford GTBS/GTBC Bomb Service Trucks. The Mark II Bomb Trailers were much smaller than the M5 and could only be loaded with a single bomb versus the heavier and multiple bomb loading capability of the M5 Bomb Trailers. However,WW II photos show frequent employment of long "Daisy Chains" of Mark II Bomb Trailers being towed by a single GTBS or GTBC. Additionally, it could reasonably be expected that when an airfield was captured by the Marines or Army and put back into operation as an Allied Airfield, you might see a mix of Ground Support Aviation Ordnance Equipment being employed in photos. A good example of that was Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. Henderson Field was the first airfield of importance captured in the Solomon Islands early in the War and although the Marines captured it, it soon had Navy, Army, Australian and New Zealand aircraft operating out of it (even before repairs were finished). The mix of Joint Allied use of Henderson Field was so heavy that it became known as the home of the "Cactus Air Force". So, it's reasonable to expect that when an Allied Aviation Ordnance Crew came up short with the necessary equipment to support a required bomb loading mission, they might seek some assistance from their friends. Consequently, you might see
a Chevy M6 Bomb Service Truck towing some Mark II Bomb Trailers or even similar British equipment in the mix.

Semper Fi, T

AROOGA
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by AROOGA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Gents,

The photo with the large bomb and trailer in tow in front of the wooden building with the "OFFICE" sign is as follows:

Ford M1 Bomb Service Truck manufactured and in service near the end of the 1930's and used until they where replaced by the Ford GTBS and GTBC Bomb Service Trucks during WW II. This might be the case for the USAAF too, until they acquired the Chevy M6 Bomb Service Truck. The M5 Bomb Trailer is loaded with that huge bomb which shows its heavy duty capability. The M5 Bomb Trailer is typically seen in tow with the M6 and was used throughout WW II. What may seem surprising about the M5 Bomb Trailer is that even with its tricycle arrangement of wheels, it was still rated for up to 45 MPH over improved roads. The speed limit for the much smaller Mark II Bomb Trailers was 20 MPH over improved roads.

SF, T

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 am

Came across these today from my Brother scanning in my old photos. Fort Benning, Georgia down by the Ranger Training BN in Harmony Church circa late 1987. (i disappeared a few years later so don't bother looking for it there) It did not follow me home, :cry: but would have made a really nice parade trailer, just getting it to the parades would have meant yet another trailer just to haul it there and keep it alive.
V/R W. Winget
87 Benning Bomb Trailer 1.jpg
87 Benning Bomb Trailer 1.jpg (160.8 KiB) Viewed 8540 times

87 Benning Bomb Trailer.jpg
87 Benning Bomb Trailer.jpg (248.32 KiB) Viewed 8540 times
Note my M151A1 MUTT :wink: in the background i used as my daily driver (POV) while assigned there.
87 Benning Bomb Trailer back.jpg
87 Benning Bomb Trailer back.jpg (230.36 KiB) Viewed 8540 times
87 Benning Bomb Trailer front.jpg
87 Benning Bomb Trailer front.jpg (186.32 KiB) Viewed 8540 times
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY - Towed Accessories”