Clutch Problems

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.

Clutch Problems

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:18 am

Hi Guys.

Can anyone help, I recently had to replace the transmission assembly on one of my 151's.

I reinstalled the engine, made sure the selector was out of gear then tried to turn it over with the starter, the thing was stuck solid.

I tried putting a socket on the pully nut at the front to turn it over (with the plugs pulled) and the the thing barely turns with me hanging on the end of it.

I noticed that the wheel within the emergency brake band appears to be turning even though the transmission is in neutral ?

Any ideas, did I mate the transmission and engine incorrectlly ?

I can put my hand in the bell housing (starter hole) and feel the thrust bearing hitting the pressure plate when the peddle is depressed ?

Thanks in advance.

MW

Thundershortz
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Clutch fubar

Post by Thundershortz » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:08 am

Guest,

It sounds like your drive train is "hung up". First off, the e'brake hub wheel turns with the drive shaft, not the engine. So I am presuming that you are turning it over manually and the hub is turning, meaning that both the clutch and trans are engaged. So you probably have at least two problems. Check these:
1. Pull the trans top cover and be SURE the rods are in neutral. the shift lever is free and not bent, shift forks and sliding gears move freely and line up properly. Reinstall carefully in neutral position. You should now be able to turn the engine without the brake hub moving.
2. Check carefully that the trans mounting flange to the engine block is not cocked, bent or pinched. If it is, this would "lock" the engine to the trans.
3. Verify the clutch linkage and travel is adjusted properly so that the pressure plate releases the disc.
4. Verify that the throwout bearing is installed and that the throwout collar is free to move the required distance, and that the shift fork is in the right location in the collar and in the bellhousing pivot.
5. Verify that the pilot bearing is not frozen up.

With the MUTTS it is always far easier to pull the whole power unit complete and work on it outside the vehicle.

ps: The engine was running ok prior to this service, right?

Carry on..
Life is a Banquet...

NSA DaNang '67-'68
Civic Action, I-Corps, DaNang
USS Sunbird ASR-15 New London
Purple Heart, Tet Offensive '68

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”