Replacing Brake & Fuel Line Covering

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Dan F

Replacing Brake & Fuel Line Covering

Post by Dan F » Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:23 pm

Redoing an early M151. Can anyone suggest a replacement for the mesh covering found on the fuel and brake lines. I've asked around and can't seem to find anything close. Thanks.

tankerm60
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

FUEL LINE/BRAKE LINE COVERING

Post by tankerm60 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:17 am

Dan, RESTOATION SPECIALTIES and SUPPLY,inc. has it,as well as the treated cotton welt for your grill top!! Same as original!!!! PH# 814-467-9842 0r 9282 FAX# 814-467-5323 www.restorationspecialties.com Email: info@restorationspecialties.com Great service and material. Dave mvpa 21178 I own a strait M151 SN# 000623 first run produced,what year is yours ? tanksalotm60@aol.com :roll:

karoja
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by karoja » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:06 pm

I am looking for the same material. One question though: I have been told that when you remove the fuel lines to put the insulation on, you need to re-flare the ends, as you have to remove the fittings. This, in turn, causes the lines to be too short. Any way around this, or suggestions?
Karl

1979 USMC M151A2
1992 M101CDN 1/4 ton trailer
1980 Pinzgauer 712 Ambulance
1966 Unimog S404 DoKa Cabrio

Jorge-Ecuador 2000

Line covers

Post by Jorge-Ecuador 2000 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:29 am

Hello

Are the line covers the "FABRIC WIRE LOOM - BLACK" ??

Also what is the "cotton welt for the grill top?
Any pics or references or explanation?

Thanks

FUEL LINE COVERING + WELT

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:55 am

Jorge,YES-this is the BLACK tarred cotton fabric covering,just like original!!!!! The welt material is the fabric strip that is on the top of theGrill,A2 used rubber bumpers.Easy to remove-OLD,snip rivet heads off,use a awl to make openings for new rivets.Use standard aluminum rivets-JUST LIKE NEW!! As far as the ends of the fuel + brake lines go-I found easier to make new lines up.Old ones are allways rusted anyway.New covering on new lines-last your lifetime.Just use old lines for a model. The line covering comes in 2 sizes-1 for fuel + 1 size for brake lines. Hope this helps fellow mutters! Dave mvpa 21178 :roll:

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:58 am

Jorge,YES-this is the BLACK tarred cotton fabric covering,just like original!!!!! The welt material is the fabric strip that is on the top of theGrill,A2 used rubber bumpers.Easy to remove-OLD,snip rivet heads off,use a awl to make openings for new rivets.Use standard aluminum rivets-JUST LIKE NEW!! As far as the ends of the fuel + brake lines go-I found easier to make new lines up.Old ones are allways rusted anyway.New covering on new lines-last your lifetime.Just use old lines for a model. The line covering comes in 2 sizes-1 for fuel + 1 size for brake lines. Hope this helps fellow mutters! Dave mvpa 21178 :roll:

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:58 am

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:00 am

Jorge-Ecuador 2000

Thanks a lot

Post by Jorge-Ecuador 2000 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:47 am

Thank you very much Dave
Four answers for one question.
It is a very good deal.

I have never see the fabric streep on the top of the grill.

Any pics?

Dan F

Thanks

Post by Dan F » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Thanks for the responses. Just received 'Restorations Spec...' catalog today. Question though is the proper product 'fabric wire loom - black ' or '1/4" id white fiberglass loom' (both page 186)? Also, is the proper item for the hood 'hydem welt' p78 or ' hood lace' p84 ? Again , thanks for the info and your time. Dan

fuel line covering

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 am

Dan an the guys,the PROPER covering is -( FABRIC WIRE LOOM-BLACK) NO NO fiberglass type !!!!!! The correct GRILL MATERIAL-( CHANNEL HOOD LACE-5/8")-this is also thr tarred/cotton-PROPER MATERIAL !!!! 5/8" ONLY wire loom SIZE-3/16-BRAKES 5/16 or 3/8-FUEL-latter will give plenty of play to slide over metal tubing. Hope this clears up your ?'s. SeenLoi-Dave mvpa 21178 :roll:

fuel line covering

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:44 am

Dan an the guys,the PROPER covering is -( FABRIC WIRE LOOM-BLACK) NO NO fiberglass type !!!!!! The correct GRILL MATERIAL-( CHANNEL HOOD LACE-5/8")-this is also thr tarred/cotton-PROPER MATERIAL !!!! 5/8" ONLY wire loom SIZE-3/16-BRAKES 5/16 or 3/8-FUEL-latter will give plenty of play to slide over metal tubing. Hope this clears up your ?'s. SeenLoi-Dave mvpa 21178 :roll:

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”