Help needed on lights for 1977 MUTT

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
spec5avery
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Help needed on lights for 1977 MUTT

Post by spec5avery » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 am

I am trying to restore my MUTT to reflect a MP jeep. Can someone direct me to where I can find info as to what color light would have been used and the mounting of it? Also would like to know what type of sireen would have been used on it. Jeep actually belonged to a 82 AB MP, but I got it from another individual who had removed some items.

doctordirt
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Help needed on lights for 1977 MUTT

Post by doctordirt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 am

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/doctord ... d%20M151A1

Photos of my 1964 M151A1 MP Jeep.

Light was a red flasher, attached to the driver side mirror support. Originals were metal and glass, etched with "MP" in the glass. Replacements were plastic bodies with red plastic lens. I added the "MP" lettering to mimic the originals I had seen. (...and were stopped by several times for excessive speed on tank trails!)

A photo of the replacement plastic light is here:
http://www.ebay.com/cln/mart442/jeep/320977435012

Sirens were a MIL standard, but I do not know the brand offhand.

My M151's are at our weekend place, but I can see next time we go out if I can find a name on the siren and a stock number for the red flasher. I have a spare in the barn and it may have some numbers.

You also need the MP roundel for the spare tire, which usually identifies the MP unit that owns the jeep. You have to usually modify the spare tire carrier to hold the roundel to the tire. In my case, a bolt welded on the carrier allows the roundel to be held on with a washer and nut. The photo of the jeep rear - NOT MINE - shows what an MP roundel looks like. A lot had crossed pistols - (the MP collar insignia) and the unit name as well as "MILITARY POLICE" stenciled on the roundel.

I hope this gives you some ideas!
jd
Last edited by doctordirt on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1942 Ford GPW
1944 Willys MB Litter carrier
1944 Willys MB-SOLD
1942 Bantam Trailer
1945 Bantam Trailer-SOLD
1946 CJ-2A-SOLD
1964 M151A1-SOLD
1967 M416 Trailer
1972 M151A2
1986 M1008-SOLD
1952 M43 Ambulance-SOLD
Amateur radio callsign - WW2DOC
COL, USA, RET

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:21 am

Another thing I found in a stash of many MUTTs, were several tan backgroung 6" to 7" tall metal signs stenciled "MILITARY POLICE" in black on one side (I think 4" stencil), and the other side had "DEADLINED" on it in red lettering. It was the length of the windshield, and had two V notches along the bottom where it sat behind the wipers arm pivots. It could obviously be turned around when the jeep was deadlined so maint could find it easier.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 199th MP » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am

spec5avery wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 am
I am trying to restore my MUTT to reflect a MP jeep. Can someone direct me to where I can find info as to what color light would have been used and the mounting of it? Also would like to know what type of sireen would have been used on it. Jeep actually belonged to a 82 AB MP, but I got it from another individual who had removed some items.
when i was an MP in viet nam, our sirens were made by Federal Corp. we had the plywood circle inside the spare tire, with military police spelled out, and a large version of our brigade shoulder patch. we had military police painted on the windshield frame, or if the frame was removed, there was a 4 X 4 with the words military police painted on it. the red light was found in a couple of different styles. we had some that were mounted on the right front fender, using the same mount that held the black out driving light that was supplied on the left front fender. if you PM me your regular email address, i can send you a few pics. or you can look here, at jim stewarts page.
http://www.militarypolicevietnam.com/Be ... After.html

spec5avery
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by spec5avery » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks for the info. Email address is ffwavery@aol.com.

spec5avery
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by spec5avery » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm

doctordirt wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 am
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/doctord ... d%20M151A1

Photos of my 1964 M151A1 MP Jeep.

Light was a red flasher, attached to the driver side mirror support. Originals were metal and glass, etched with "MP" in the glass. Replacements were plastic bodies with red plastic lens. I added the "MP" lettering to mimic the originals I had seen. (...and were stopped by several times for excessive speed on tank trails!)

A photo of the replacement plastic light is here:
http://www.ebay.com/cln/mart442/jeep/320977435012

Sirens were a MIL standard, but I do not know the brand offhand.

My M151's are at our weekend place, but I can see next time we go out if I can find a name on the siren and a stock number for the red flasher. I have a spare in the barn and it may have some numbers.

You also need the MP roundel for the spare tire, which usually identifies the MP unit that owns the jeep. You have to usually modify the spare tire carrier to hold the roundel to the tire. In my case, a bolt welded on the carrier allows the roundel to be held on with a washer and nut. The photo of the jeep rear - NOT MINE - shows what an MP roundel looks like. A lot had crossed pistols - (the MP collar insignia) and the unit name as well as "MILITARY POLICE" stenciled on the roundel.

I hope this gives you some ideas!
jd

Thanks for the help.

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”