Help needed: ignition and reverse gear

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Hendrik2A
G-Civilian
Help needed: ignition and reverse gear

Post by Hendrik2A » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Hi everyone, greetings from South Africa.

I own a Mutt 151a1C, and i think its the only one in SA :) im new to MUTT's, i have been a CJ2a owner for 10years.

Help needed with two issues:

Firstly:
My mutt has carb and ignition problems. Starts great and idle great, but cant run smoothly. Think its carb and fuel, it stutters and runs uneven when i accelerate, especially under load uphill. Has very poor power and stepping on the gas does not give desired acceleration performance. The mutt doesnt not have one flatspot, but stutters all the time as if fuel is pumped/delivered through carb unevenly, and thus my Mutt is running weak with poor power.

I have done the following:
1. New coil, condenser, points and capacitor
2. Cleaned the carb and installed what i could from the carb kit.
3. New spark plugs and wires
4. Set the timing
5. New inline aftermarket fuel pump, and fuel filter.

The mutt ran very well after the above was done and tuneup. But all of a sudden the stuttering and poor running started again.

Secondly:
Today i could not use reverse gear, the gear lever shifts into reverse position, but no gears engages so i cant reverse. Does this happen with the Mutt? Is the reverse gear broken? What must i do?

Thanx guys!

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Help needed: ignition and reverse gear

Post by Rickf » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:34 pm

The engine problem sounds like the accelerator pump diaphragm is bad or you have a vacuum leak around the intake manifold. Probably on the bottom side of the manifold, that is where they normally leak. The reverse problem sounds like the reverse idler gear dropped out. Did you ever take out the top bolt on the d=side of the transmission? See if it is still there or if it came out. When you select reverse on the shifter does it feel like it is going into a gear or does it feel like there is nothing there, like the shifter is not touching anything? If that is the feeling then you will have to take the top cover off of the transmission and see if the reverse shifter fork is still there. Actually if you take just the shifter out of the hole you will be able to see if it is there or not. If it is not then it has fallen down. The top cover will have to come off no matter what at that point. If the idler pivot bolt is still in the transmission then the fork may be broken. There is no way of knowing without taking the top off.

By the way, welcome to the forum, I wish it were under better circumstances.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Hendrik......
Rick has probably nailed down your problems exactly. Have you tried to fill the transmission with oil? Did you unfasten a bolt on the side of the transmission? If yes, then it is most certain that you have removed the wrong bolt. See picture below.

For the loss of power.... what type of ignition coil have you used? Is it a shiny chrome coil?

Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Hendrik2A
G-Civilian

Post by Hendrik2A » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:17 am

Than you Rick and Mutt Guru for your replies

1. I do have a new diaphragm in the carb
2. My mutt was in at a suspension service center to do the front cv joints and all that. The also took out the main drive shaft to extend it, because for some reason the splines into the gearbox was not going in far enough over the gearbox splines. I told the to do it because i was scared there are not enough gripping/meeting area on the splines and that the shaft could break or twist off at the splines. The reverse gear issue was after i left their shop, it could be that one of their mechanics removed the wrong bolt to refill the gearbox!

3. I will have a look at the intake manifold.
4 The Reverse gear shifts easily, actually too easily. It does feel like there is nothing there.

When i bought the mutt it was starting and running poor. After the service it was running very well, during the first drive after the service i drove for about 60km's. During that drive once or twice the Mutt stuttered a bit but then ran smoothly. The Mutt was parked for two weeks, i took the Mutt to the service centre and after that the mutt was running poorly again. They did not work on anything else except the front drive terrain.

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:59 am

The drive shaft was the right length, it has to have that clearance to get the u=joint in the yoke since there is no travel in the shaft. And for that very reason there is no worry about the shaft pulling to far out since it never moves while in use. If it was lengthened then I do not know ow they got the u-joints in unless the motor is too far forward and nobody checked the front shaft. It may be too to tight now. I am sure he pulled the yoke off the shaft which in turn dumped all of the oil out very quickly. He probably pulled the wrong bolt and dropped the idler shaft. That would mean it is up to him to repair it, and to find you a new drive shaft! The only time a shaft has to be made longer is if the vehicle has been cut and improperly welded together. If the vehicle is not cut then the new shaft is going to cause you problems. And if the mechanic was impatient and hammered the yoke back in he probably dislodged the disc in the center of the yoke and it will now leak gear oil.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”