How do I get this thing licensed?

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: How do I get this thing licensed?

Post by Rickf » Mon May 02, 2016 4:41 am

There are no numbers stamped on the frame rails! He is going by automotive standards for police ID. These things did not have ANY ID or VIN from the factory so he is not going to find any. There is nothing stamped anywhere on the body besides part numbers. You need to get in touch with others from Washington who have done this and probably find a different inspector.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon May 02, 2016 5:57 am

I'd contact TNJ as offered, problem solved with rivet tool back onto the dash...
Why are there no frame numbers you ask?
Body was designed as a replacement part, every component could be stripped off the body and put on a ordered replacement in the event of a fender bender (it's unitized) the time saved inpulling the parts back out and straightening the frame sections is negated by merely swapping the components out. That was the design, in reality they just stripped parts for spares and trashed the rest of the vehicle, hence few "hens teeth" of replacement bodies out there (but there have been some)

BEST option...Call TNJ Murray as offered. Problem solved....

In Virginia they will only "register" the vehicle if it's old, they will not issue a title. Why bother with a title when all you care about is plates...Also here, Antique offers no recurring registration and tax exemption unless your planning on driving more than 250 miles a Month...
V/R W Winget

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Mon May 02, 2016 8:17 am

I'm a bit confused as the M151 is a monocoque design and there are no frame rails to stamp. The frame and body are all one piece unlike the earlier Jeeps.

This serial number question has come up quite often and the answer is that the serial number is on the data plate on the dash and nowhere else. If it was removed during the ROPS upgrade then it's history. Here in California your best bet would be to take it to the Highway Patrol and have them assign a new VIN number to the vehicle that you could proceed to use for registration. Every state has it's own procedures to do VIN assignments so you'll have to research it locally. You might want to search under home built vehicles or reconstructed vehicles for the answer.

As for the green Form 97 document, it was only issued to the buyer who first bought the vehicle from the government and for the most part only the early 151's came out with one. The 97 wasn't transferable to subsequent buyers. By the time the A2's were coming out of the system they were demilling them and weren't issuing 97's.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

63DH8
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by 63DH8 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 pm

I have a new unstamped/unused data plate standing by to get the numbers the inspector assigns my mutt.

I located the local MVP club not more than two hours ago. I'm going to contact them in the morning.

Thanks guys! I greatly appreciate the help and direction.

tankjeepman
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by tankjeepman » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Actually any former military vehicle is easy to get a bonded title and licensed in the state of Texas. Buy data plate and put your serial number on it. You go through the bonded title procedure which has required steps you must go through in the proper order. Once you have the bonded title, you get it licensed it as a former military vehicle which has a special license plate or you can actually use the bumper number. No inspection required. I have done this procedure twice.

As for other states, almost all states have a method it title and license salvage/home built/former military or never titled or licensed vehicles (old farm truck). Almost all states also have a antique vehicle category which usually exempts them from inspections and has a multi year license.
45 Chevy G7107 SOLD
45 MB Completed SOLD
48 CJ 2A Parts or maybe restore?
M151A2 1973 Completed and being driven.
M151A1/A2 Conversion to A2 Future Project
M37B1 1962 Restoration in progress

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:07 am

Except NJ! If you do not have a previous title you will NOT get a title!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hypnogator
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Hypnogator » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:46 pm

I had the same problem. Impossible to get licensed in Texas because the inspector mistakenly checked the box stating that the VIN had been obliterated or altered. Would have taken a court order to get it licensed there.

Fortunately, Arizona isn't as picky. I just had to take it to a state inspection station, where they checked for the non-existent VIN, then attached an AZ # which allowed me to register it. 8)
I'm afraid I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”