CMD Body Panels for M 151

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
lpcoating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: CMD Body Panels for M 151

Post by lpcoating » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:41 am

For those of you that like to see how parts are made: quick video of some contour machining done on the top die. Video is showing the .250 radius area of the die being made. Or the bottom lip of the front fender. Machine is a 5 axis Haas (VF-5).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nERUtxr7ag

Guy

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Tested the modified tooling tonight. I'm happy with the results and feel that we can now manufacture a front fender radius piece with consistency. Next will be to fit the corner piece to the fender. The front fender that is pictured is a prototype and I'll adjust the program for better fit up after I complete the fab work. This one was intentionally made with extra material. I have a feeling the first couple will be a little time consuming...

Image ImageImageImageImageImage

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Finished the first front fender tonight. By finish, I mean the welding of the corner piece. Keep in mind that this was done by hand with no welding fixture and this one is not perfect. What this does is proves out the process to make the radius fill piece and give us a reasonable way to manufacture front fenders. While this is only the fender top, I also plan to make the complete fender.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Front fender update: We started machining the weld fixture today. I'm guessing It'll be done tomorrow. Need to make some tweaks to the sheet metal program for the corner piece fit up then we'll run a couple more.

Guy

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Weld fixture is now complete. Fits like a glove. Next step is to modify the fender program.

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Made some tweaks to the front fender top program today and will run another (2) sets next week. I have not replaced the driver side on mine yet so I'll be able to verify fit up on my A1. I would like to do this by late next week as Gilbert will be here before you know it and I want to have them ready for the show. Looks like messing around time is coming to an end and it's time to focus on the next batch of 151 parts.

Guy

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Started on the second run of front fender tops. We'll form the radius pieces tomorrow and will weld up a set later in the week. Also added the inner lip that plug welds to the inner fender.

ImageImage

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Starting working on the second set of front fender tops tonight. Brought home new parts and the welding fixture that we made. When we formed the parts we made them fit snug to the weld fixture and this is going to make for very consistent parts to work with. Biggest challenge when working with material this thin (.048") is having weld seams as flush as possible so when the blending is done you're not grinding through the material. I'm going to have to come up with a fixture for trimming the radius fill piece as this is rather tedious. However, current fixture will produce very high quality fender tops. I still have to weld and grind but this is where I'm at:

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 pm

This is what I came up with using the welding fixture:

ImageImageImageImage

Very little distortion. I'm happy with the results...

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:49 pm

Started to test fit the front fender yesterday only to find out that I made a 1/4" error in the length. As my A1 has some front end damage I called several 838 members and was able to get an accurate measurement. Took the fender to work today and made the correction, test fit tonight and we are good to go.

ImageImageImage

I will try to have some of these at the Gilbert, PA show.

Guy

www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Made some corrections to the front fender top drawings tonight. Also added the holes for the weld nuts for black out light (driver side), turn signal wire loop and hood latch. As we have a weld nut gun we will add them to the part. Will run another test batch but I think they're good to go. Driver side will have the stiffener spot welded under the black out light and I'll have tooling made for forming the turn signal mount. After this I will go back and finish the corner fill pieces for the rear panel.

Guy

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:11 pm

First welded set. You would think that the bolt hole for the turn signal wire clamp would be in the same location on the fenders. They are not. Maybe two different engineers worked on it? :roll: Tooling for the forming of the turn signal boss is at the machine shop. Model file is almost complete and then it goes on a mill. After that spot weld operation and these are done.

Guy

http://www.m151bodypanels.com

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Turn signal mount tooling is now complete. We'll see what happens tomorrow...

Guy

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Tooling works as it should. However, the boss profile is a little bigger compared to the original. I'll have to check but I'm thinking that there is a difference between the 2D model and the 3D model file. Have a little interference issue with the tab on the lens. Will correct and try again.

ImageImage

Guy

lpcoating

Post by lpcoating » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:56 am

Part update: We have the first batch of A1 front fenders on order in the shop at this time. We are making (15) of each. Parts should be available early January and will be $165 each. Turn signal mount tooling is being modified at this time.

Guy

www.m151bodypanels.com

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”