60 amp conversion wire on the m151

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
acudanut
USMC GUNNY

Re: 60 amp conversion wire on the m151

Post by acudanut » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 pm

I wonder if he still has them ?

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:47 am

On topic of changing from old to new gen to alt.

Lacking transportation when I arrived in Fort Sherman, Panama for a 6 month stint ('91-92 post invasion) as an instructor for Jungle School, I spied a M151A1 in the motorpool painted red....among all the (then) new HUMVEEs. I asked, and found out this MUTT had belonged to a Major that had to leave the command very abruptly (later I found out the Commander had issues as well, likely one darn good reason for him to get out of there) he had abandoned his repatriated Ex-Panamanian MUTT which was towed to the motorpool on post. As it was a Privately Owned Vehicle, the motorpool SFC wanted nothing to do with it.
Naturally, having too much free time in the early weeks of arrival with one work van for 6-8 officers, I asked if I could get it running and the SFC said sure, :lol: laughing that I would even try...

Next opportunity, I went over to the PX, bought a decent socket set, adjustable wrench and screwdrivers, then headed across the Isthmus to the Quarry Heights (or Balboa) cannibalization point, pulled off a carb, alternator and odds and ends off two or three A2's they had there that I knew the MUTT needed, returned out to Fort Sherman on the Atlantic side and proceeded to install the alternator, carb, etc. I recall the wiring issue, but merely took parts of the old harness and removed the regulator from it's participation, and finished up. Never had a real chance to run down the batteries to see if it was not hooked up correctly.

I got it running and drove it around a full 4 hours with a bunch of us heading out to the beach and back before we were ordered to park it as it was not insured and not our, etc. The next day the Colonel had a piece of me explaining, etc. but within two days.....we were issued another rental van to help move us around. Wonder what ever happened to that MUTT, things don't get tossed away too much in places where there's not a lot of resources, I'm sure it's still running around somewhere down there.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

hambone
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 am

acudanut wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 pm
I wonder if he still has them ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M151-M35-M37-M ... Jw&vxp=mtr

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”