Need Help putting horn button in

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the M151.
Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Need Help putting horn button in

Post by Bucolic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Horn Button Kit A - Copy.JPG
Horn Button Kit A - Copy.JPG (152.15 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
When I bought my 151A1 the steering wheel was held on with rust, no nut on the column. There was no evidence of a horn button, horn wire or anything else.
So I bought the above pictured "Horn Button Repair Kit" on Ebay. Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to be installed?

Looks like to me that item #5 gets installed under the nut holding the steering wheel on, then #3 is placed into the end of the steering column, then #4 is threaded through the column and held in place with #1. I figure, maybe correctly, that #2 goes into the lower end of the column at the steering box and then the wire goes through the fender and plugs into the wiring harness.

I looked through the TMs and couldn't find any schematics that depicted #5, maybe it's for some other model jeep???
Thanks for looking.

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Need Help putting horn button in

Post by muttguru » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:13 am

I haven't seen Item #5 before. Maybe the kit it a "general repair" unit covering different types of vehicles.
If you CAREFULLY remove the rubber push-button from your new Item #4, you'll see how the electrical circuit is completed when you press the rubber button. There's a short insulator that fits in the neck of the steering column, then the wire goes down the column and exits the steering box via a grommet (make sure it is in place)....then the wire connects to the harness with that Packard connector. Feed a thin bare wire down the column (or upwards via the steering box) and attach it to the end of your new feed wire. You can then draw the feed wire down without it getting hung up inside the column.
If you go to the G838 Board and download TM9-2320-218-20-1-1, look at Section 5, Para 5-73, Pages 5-194 to 5-197 and there's some exploded diagrams showing how it all goes together.
If I were you (and I was in your position a few years ago) I'd take the opportunity to draw off the steering wheel from the column, clean up the centre and the threaded section of the column, then re-install the steering wheel WITH a new nut and washer.
If you don't, you may find that the steering wheel could jar loose and that would be most inadvisable at 40 mph :D

Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:13 am

If you haven't had a horn button in the steering column for years there's a good chance you've got dead bees or whatever up in the column. I ran a 1/4 rod down the hole to make sure it saw clear when I replaced my horn switch. Since your grounding the horn through the column you want to make sure there's good continuity between the column and ground otherwise the horn will sound wimpy. Like Ken says, make sure you remove all the rust from the contact area below the new horn button for the same reason.

The steering wheel nut is a common thread size available at good hardware stores. I used a "jam nut" because they're thinner than a standard nut.

Is your part #5 an old column bearing?

Kurt

BTW, AM General used this same horn button is used in the HMMWV but the wire is only about 1" long.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 pm

FIrst off, thank you Kurt and Ken for your comments. What I didn't put in my previous post is the fact that I have replaced the steering wheel with an NOS wheel and I've scrubbed out the tube going through the steering column with a .22 caliber bore brush so there's no bugs or anything to interfere with the wire.

Kurt, you asked if my #5 part is an old column bearing; No it's not. It's a pair of rings, brass I believe, held apart by six short springs. It looks to me like it should go under the horn button and be held down by the nut that holds the wheel on. Which, by the way, is a "jam nut". I used one at your suggestion when I was inquiring about that nut a while back.
As an aside, I looked through the TM Ken recommended and couldn't find any reference to my part #5. I even looked at M-38 TMs and couldn't find anything there either. I guess I'll just set it aside and forget it.
Thanks again to both of you, I really appreciate it.
Mike

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:38 am

Knowing how poorly the horn button base grounds to the tube, is it possible that #5 is a grounding ring? It certainly would give much more contact area for grounding. Is there room to use it?
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Number 5 could very well be a grounding ring and I think it would have fit but.. it's too late now, I'm not going to take it all apart to install it. My horn works :D :D :D :D

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am

I went back to the Ebay ad that I purchased the kit from and here's the description:

(1) M151 SERIES MUTT JEEP HORN BUTTON REPAIR KIT M151 M151A1 M151A2
ORIGINALS PART IN ORIGINAL BOX
NOS (NEW OLD STOCK) CONDITION
USED ON ALL M151 SERIES MUTT JEEP M151 M151A1 M718 M151A1C M718A1 M825 M151A2
INCLUDES AN EXTRA COLLAR CONTACT ITEM NOT USUALLY FOUND IN THE KIT.

I'm assuming that the extra contact collar is just what Dave suggested, a grounding ring. Maybe I should have installed it....

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:37 am

Keep it for when the horn stops working. :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Bucolic wrote: INCLUDES AN EXTRA COLLAR CONTACT ITEM NOT USUALLY FOUND IN THE KIT.
I'm assuming that the extra contact collar is just what Dave suggested, a grounding ring. Maybe I should have installed it....
Bucolic, it's good to hear that everything's working now. Did the kit come with any kind of contents sheet? If it did, I'd love to know what the NSN or part number was for that brass ring...item no.5.

Dave guessed it right but I've never seen one listed before and there's no mention of it in the final version of the parts list.
Kind regards...
ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Ken, there was no parts list, just a small box full of parts.
On the box was a bar code (When did stuff start using bar codes?) and this:
Parts Kit Horn Switch
1 Each
DAAE0783C0462

And I may just go back and install part #5. Maybe....

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Horn Button Kit A - Copy.JPG
Horn Button Kit A - Copy.JPG (152.15 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
Nobody knew what part # 5 was for when I posted this picture before. It was suggested that maybe it should go under the horn button to make a better ground. Well, I took my horn button off today thinking I'd put it (part #5) under the button to possibly prevent a problem somewhere down the road. Guess what, the thing won't fit inside the hub of an A-1 steering wheel.
So if somebody wants it, they're welcome to it.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:39 pm

I can remember something like #5 when I put a horn in my 151, I have to see if I can find the instructions from when I did(Feb 2,2012?)there is a post from then on the g838website.But when you push the button you are grounding the horn so it beeps (wire #25?) My memory isn't too good.Maybe I'll look at it tomorrow and if it has the #5 I'll take a picture of it
change user name to mark

Bucolic
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Bucolic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 pm

The horn works fine without that part. The diameter is too large to allow it down into the steering wheel. I'm guessing it is/was for an M37 or something bigger than a 151. Besides, I'm not taking the horn button off again anyhow.

Return to “M151's Technical Knowledge Base”