My new 1954 M38A1

For posting personal or other photos of the relevant G740, G758, M38, M38A1, M170 MV's for this Forum
Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: My new 1954 M38A1

Post by Maverick1701 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:41 pm

I drained the transmission earlier and had a nice frosty chocolate milkshake...ugh! Good thing I got all that crap out of there.

Filled the front and rear diffs. Pulled the top of the transmission so I can add fluid and also inspect the innards (Yes I realize there is a fill plug on the side). At this time I realized I bought the wrong fluid. I have to get the right fluid tomorrow when NAPA opens.

Tomorrow I am going to have the local mechanic mic my rotors and see about turning them (if they need it). I do not have any micrometers...so I fail.

Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Well my rear diff was leaking after the re-fill. I half-way expected it. When my gasket arrived, the sender had written on the package "DO NOT BEND" in several places around the package. The mailman choose to disregard all warnings and folded the gasket/package to fit in my mailbox ARGH!!!! USPS why are you so frustrating?!??!

I knew the gasket was damaged and I knew better than to install it...but for some reason I went ahead and installed it anyway (I knew I was rolling the dice). I ordered a new gasket from napa yesterday morning (I am a little surprised they did not have a dana44 gasket in stock). My new gasket arrived this morning. I replaced the damaged gasket and re-filled the rear diff after work today. It looks to be holding.

I was going to re-fill the x-fer case and transmission this evening but dispatch called me out to a grass fire (I work for the sheriffs' office). Hopefully I will get to the x-fer/transmission tomorrow after work.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:08 pm

today I knocked out a few things on the Jeep. I re-filled the transfer case, installed new rad hose, and diagnosed my generator shake.

X-fer Case:
There isn't enough room under the jeep to tip a gear oil bottle so I had to engineer my own solution. I found some old fuel line I had in the garage. I ran the fuel line through the under pass-seat toolbox drain hole, around the frame, and in to the x-fer case fill hole. The bend between the frame and fill hole kept the hose in place. I then drained the gear oil bottles through the hose into the x-fer case.  I did not have one of those super handy fluid pumps and did not want to buy one. I ran out of fluid before I could fill the transmission so that will have to wait until next week.

Generator shimmy:
*flashback to when I first bought my Jeep*
I noticed that while my Jeep runs, the generator shakes and causes some crazy vibrations. I noticed that the generator bracket bolt was loose. I attempted to tighten but did not have any luck (I assumed that the PO stripped out the threads in the block. I also assumed the bolt was threaded right in to the block. I should never assume). At this point I figured I would have to helicoil the bolt hole. I was not looking forward to having to helicoil so I put it off until "later".
*flash forward to this afternoon*
Well today I decided to remove the generator bolt so I could measure for a helicoil kit. As I was jacking with the bolt I noticed a nut on the back of the generator bracket bolt that I somehow missed.  AWESOME!!! I won't have to helicoil!!! I tightened the bolt/nut and still had a little movement in the generator. I finally found a loose lower generator mount bolt. I tightened down that bolt and am good to go. No more generator movement.

Rad hoses:
One my first set of radiator hoses I went a little crazy with the cutting to size hahaha. I had to order a new lower hose. This time I made several small cuts vs fewer large cuts. Not surprisingly, this time my hoses did not end up too short. I have some coolant ready to rock. Next week I will re-fill the cooling system. I have to re-fill my motor oil before I re-fill the coolant (so I can purge the air from the cooling system). I may have to fix a small oil pan leak before I add oil. I will diagnose next week.

I am going to be out of town for a few days visiting family so no jeep updates until Monday. My younger brother has a few days of leave before he ships out to Korea. It worked out well with my weekend off syncing up with my brothers military leave.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Back from the weekend. It was nice to see my younger brother before he ships out to Korea w/the US Army.

I got my brake drums back from the shop. They were turned and look super pretty now!!! No more of that nasty lip that had been worn in the drums from years of use. I need to order some wheel cylinders and brake shoes. I also need to re-fill my transmission.

I also ordered 4 of those garage Edsal shelving units. 3 are the 72X48X24 (masonite shelf inserts) and one is 78X48X24 (wire shelf). Once they arrive I will post pictures of my shop room. At the moment I have parts/cans of stuff/tools/etc everywhere around the floor. These shelves should help me get organized and make jeep progress faster.

drum pics:

Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Last night I ordered 4 new wheel cylinders from eBay. They should be here in a few days.

the extra money I usually put toward my savings account went elsewhere this time. I decided to splurge on myself and bought some more toys for my shop room. Pics will be posted when they arrive.

1X of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-24-in-10 ... 5yc1vZc2gk
I currently use a 5gal bucket tool organizer but that is getting way way past overloaded. It was time to buy a "real" tool storage solution.

3X of these (found $10 cheaper elsewhere after I bought...but that is how it works, right?): http://www.ebay.com/itm/321690781094?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
These are going down the side of my storage/garage room so I can clean all the parts/tools/crap off my floor.

1X of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZD ... UTF8&psc=1
I am actually putting this shelf inside my kitchen. I bought it before I realized I bought the wrong size/model...but oh well. I can still use it.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:36 pm

I installed the 78in rack in my kitchen. I live in an old farm house which means that storage is very limited. Ill snap a picture if I remember...but no promises.

The 3 72in racks I installed in my shop/garage room. Until now I have had to just keep stuff in the floor. It made everything super messy while working on projects (like my jeep or motorcycle). The racks were delivered today. I installed them earlier this evening. I also did a basic organization job on all my shop junk. It isn't totally dialed in yet but getting there (I need a few hooks for air hoses and extension cords...minor stuff like that). Also my toolbox should arrive weds. then I can organize all my hand tools and graduate from my 5gal bucket tool organizer.

Here are a few pics:

This was taken after I had pulled everything away from the wall. It is not usually this cluttered... I keep a patch clear enough to move the bike. My choc lab was helping.

WOW actually organized...mostly.

Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Today I mixed coolant (just a hair over 50% coolant) and filled the M38A1s cooling system. I did not run the motor to purge the air pockets because the motor oil is still drained. Once I re-fill the motor oil I will run the motor for a bit and let the air pockets purge/t-stat open/etc. and top off as needed.

I need to re-fill the transmission as well.

I am still waiting on my tool cart to arrive. UPS tracking shows before 3pm tomorrow!!! I can't wait.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:23 pm

My new tool box arrived today. This evening I had planned to button up the transmission then purge the coolant system. That plan was blown out of the water by the weather (which ended up missing us). We were forecasted for 2in hail, 60mph+ winds, etc. Thankfully the storm system decided to track further south vs hammering us. I would have just worked under the carport but I moved vehicles around (due to the forecasted hail). I had my patrol unit, my personal ride, and the back half of my M38A1 (since the front clip is in my shop) under the carport.

Since I was unable to work on the Jeep, I took the opportunity to assemble my new tool box. I also got most of my hand tools moved over and organized in my new box.

I probably will not have any updates until next week. Our annual Bob Wills music festival is this weekend with festivities kicking off thursday evening. I am going to be working the festival thursday eve, friday eve, and all day saturday...which leaves little time for playing on the Jeep.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Today after work I re-filled the transmission and installed my new seat cushions (I have not purchased a new cushion for the pass seat).

After getting everything buttoned up I thought "what the heck...why not!??". I hopped in the jeep, cranked it over and drove it around the field next to my house, down the alley, and around on my street. I live in a town of 106 people with only a handful of streets so I don't really have to worry about traffic.

The drive went smoothly but I still do not have brakes (that is the next project to tackle). I ran around for about 20mins in an attempt to get the motor up to operating temp. I also found a few little leaks I need to fix. A cursory glance looks like rear of the oil pan gasket, rear pinion, and somewhere in the x-fer/trans area. I have not determined their exact source yet... I need to crawl under and take a look

My shop assistant was right there being "helpful" as always.

Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Earlier today I ordered two new pinion seals off ebay for my front/rear differentials. I also ordered a set of those box end wrenches that ratchet and swivel (I also ordered two individual wrenches in sizes that I use on the jeep most that only ratchet and do not swivel). Almost every time I work on the Jeep I find a place where one of those would come in handy...so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set. Should be in soon.

When I got home today I removed the drive-shafts from both axles (left connected at the running gear end) in preparation for the new pinion seals. I am also trying to hunt down a torque wrench that reads high enough to set the pinion nut. Mine only goes up to 150ft lbs and everything I am reading calls for 160-180ft lbs.
I also started installing my new wheel cylinders. The wheel cylinders (at least the fronts) might get put on hold until I finish with the pinion seals and completely flush out my cooling system. I am still seeing some junk float around in the radiator.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Tonight I removed all the brake components from the rear axle. After removal, I gave everything a nice hard cleaning (it REALLY needed it!!!).

All I have left is the drivers-front to remove and I will have all the brake components removed. So far I have found only one wheel cylinder that was fully functional (or at least had both sides that would move smoothly) which is a little surprising since this Jeep sat for the previous 12 years. I expected all 4 to be fully seized.

This weekend I am off work and I do not foresee much work being done to the Jeep....I will (hopefully) be spending my two days off enjoying my motorcycle far far away from my house. Saturday Altus, OK is hosting a big car show. I am going to ride over to oklahoma and check it out. Sunday I might ride back over to Oklahoma and visit the stafford air/space museum.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

I need the pick the brains of the dana44 gods.
So today I decided I would replace the rear pinion seal.
I have been reading the TMs and researching step-by-step instructions via the internet/my forums for the past week or so.

so far I have removed the following but I am not sure if I have removed enough pieces. I think I also need to remove the oil slinger but I want to make extra sure before mangling it. According to TM9-8015-2 Figure #130 I have removed:

Letter: description

V/U: Yoke/Dust shield
T: Seal oil (the mangled piece of metal
S: gasket (the plastic flat washer looking thing)
R: Seal felt (the circular spring looking thing)
Q: the slinger that is still installed (see pic #2 below)

The seal to the far right is the new pinion seal.

Does that sound correct?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is how it sits now (see 2nd picture below). I believe this to be the oil slinger #Q in figure #130. Do I need to remove this piece? I am thinking that I do because there currently is not room to install my new seal...but I want to make extra sure before I gak it trying to remove.

Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Jeep progress is going to be slow for the next three weeks. I leave on 5-19 on my vacation. I am going to be tackling the dalton highway and the denali highway up in Alaska. I will be spending this last week pretty much preparing/packing/planning. I will update after my vacation. I come back to TX on 6/8.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:46 pm

I am still here. Jeep is still here. Things at work have been CRAZY since I returned from my trip. The first day back at 1030am (I start at 10am) a lady walks in my office to report a sexual assault of child (with multiple suspects and multpile victims...wow). I will do my best to get back on track ASAP
Chris
1954 M38A1

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Well I finally had some time to work on the jeep. I had only an hour or so between getting home from work and the approaching rain. I was able to get the passenger rear wheel cylinder, brake shoes, and brake retainers installed. I had to to re-use the old hardware w/the new shoes because the new retainers were 1/2in longer than my old retainers and would not fit...they also would not fit through the new brake shoes.

Hopefully I can get the other three sets installed tomorrow. My plan is to finish the brakes w/the new master cylinder and soft lines this weekend...but we will see how that works out w/the job and the weather.
Chris
1954 M38A1

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”