1945 Willys MB project

Post your jeep photos, Pre or Post restoration. Bragging Photos etc. Also LIFE jeep photos.
JGarrison
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

1945 Willys MB project

Post by JGarrison » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm a new member to the forum, and a new Jeep owner. I've always wanted a WWII Jeep since I was a kid and I've finally found one. My Jeep has seen better days for sure but I am going to do my best to restore her to her former glory!

Last edited by JGarrison on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 1945 Willys MB project

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Right on. Welcome to the group! Looks like you have a good candidate for a great restoration.

Lots of folks on here know quite a bit about Jeeps, so don't hesitate to ask. Someone always seems available to pitch in and help.

Best of luck on your project!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Welcome aboard J, you will get all the help you need on here.

jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by jkillelea » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 am

Hi JGarrison,
Welcome to the "G". Here you will find all information that you could want/need for a great restoration of your jeep. One of the first things to do with your jeep is to take close up photos of EVERY area/part on the jeep. You may be discouraged at first to find so much rust/damage/poor repair. I did. I think this happens to a lot of us.
Next thing is to get the jeep in safe running order (brakes/fuel/steering), unless you want to tear it down at the beginning. Do NOT rush ANYTHING!
Carefully photograph, label and organize all parts that you remove. Store them separate from any other vehicle parts/assemblies. Do not rush to the sand blaster, as you might destroy some very important historic data (registration number, unit branch, or personal name). Enjoy the whole process. It's like having a baby. Ask all questions that you have here on the "G". We have all done that, and it is a great world-wide family of men and women who have all been exactly where you are now. Post photos of your progress, as this is one of the most incouraging things for all members here.
Good luck.
John

JGarrison
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JGarrison » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am excited to start on my Jeep project. As John stated it has been a little discouraging at times to find out that so much of the original parts are missing or completely destroyed by rust and wear. My Jeep is definitely a low starting point. Rather than spending time worrying about whether or not it's "worth it" I've just decided to take my time and fix it as I go. It would have been nice to start with a better more solid Jeep for sure but I've got what I've got and I feel that I've taken it under my wing. I do have a solid frame, with a bunch of poor frame repairs to the front frame horns of course. My first objective is to get it running to see what kind of condition the engine is in. After that I think I will carefully disassemble it and tear it down. The clutch is firmly seized to the flywheel thanks to the mice building a HUGE nest in the bell housing. The brakes system is beyond repair. The drums and shoes might be ok but the hydraulic system is rusted away. I don't see her doing any driving at this point. I will then go down to the frame and inspect replace and fix it up until the rolling chassis is as close to perfect as I can get. When it comes to sheet metal I try not to even think about that, all I've got is sheet rust. I do have the hood numbers I think, oddly enough they are painted under the hood where the lube chart was at one time. I will post a picture of that. There are some other white markings here and there under the other layers of paint. I will do my best to uncover and preserve them. Thanks again Justin

jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by jkillelea » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am

Hi again Justin,
Let people know where you live. People from all over will want to come over and help you out with all kinds of things, from giving you suggestions, a pair of helping hands, and (maybe) even parts that they have extras of and don't need.
Take pictures of the engine bay so people can identify components that you have.
John

JGarrison
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JGarrison » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 am

JGarrison
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JGarrison » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 am

Using John's advice I will let you all know that I live in the U.S.A in the state of New Jersey, South Jersey to be exact. I have already hooked up with another G503 member from New Jersey and purchased a Military Standard Oil Filter off of him to help start my project.

sjalbert
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by sjalbert » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 am

Welcome to the "G". I see a hood number painted on the inside of the hood. That number is too low for a 1945 MB so either that's not the original hood, or that's not the original number, or you don't have a 1945. Do you have a frame tag or data plate that matches the serial number on your paperwork? Make sure that you've got one or the other before you invest too much in the restoration. I can't tell for sure from the photo you posted, but it looks like you might have a post war block. What number is cast on the right side of the block?
Seth
1944 MB 349858, 20620361
1942 MBT 10968 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=149552
1942 MBT 15799, USA 0217497 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=225199
MVPA # 8587
Com / Inst. SMEL
CFII - ASEL
KI5LYB

Collecting Willys Engine Info. Please send me Engine #, Casting Date & Machining Date if known

JGarrison
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JGarrison » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am

Seth I do have data plates for it that say it's a 45. That might not be the correct date. I don't have a frame tag as it was removed when someone was repairing the frame. I don't have any paperwork either, I know that is an extremely important part of the project. I'm going to try and get that straightened out before I spend too much money. The block is post war. It must have been replaced many years ago. It is what it is, I don't have a whole lot of money in it but I am hoping to make the best out of what I've got.

sjalbert
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by sjalbert » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am

It looks like a good starting point. Getting clear paperwork is essential. You don't want someone else to claim your pride and joy after you bring it back to life.
Seth
1944 MB 349858, 20620361
1942 MBT 10968 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=149552
1942 MBT 15799, USA 0217497 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=225199
MVPA # 8587
Com / Inst. SMEL
CFII - ASEL
KI5LYB

Collecting Willys Engine Info. Please send me Engine #, Casting Date & Machining Date if known

jkillelea
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by jkillelea » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Garrison,
I searched and found a post from 2014 with lots of body work shown. It should be encouraging to see just what can be done when one wants to salvage a tub. Here's how to access it: Go to the technical knowledge base and type in Argentina. It will show a bunch of postings. Look for the one titled Restoring 42 Willy's Mb. There are about 7 pages of great photos showing all steps. Good luck.

JGarrison
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JGarrison » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:26 pm

John, thanks for the info on that page. Seeing that work is encouraging. I think my tub is in a lot worse shape, however he did replace almost all the metal inside and out. I would love to save my tub if possible. The cowl area is solid, the sides are partially solid. The floors and hat channels are shot. I don't have nearly the shop, tools, or experience that he had in that project. I am resourceful and my welding has been getting a little better recently. It is a lot to think on. I initially figured a new tub was the only option, now I am wanting to try and save it. One day at a time!

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi Justin! Welcome to the G.

As others have said, make sure and take a lot of photos, invest in plastic sandwich bags and plastic containers and sharpies to put all of the parts you will be taking off. Label everything and photograph everything, because you will forget stuff.

Looks like you have the typical bubba mods: the front bumper replaced, the rear crossmember butchered up, a tailgate cut into it etc.

I was thinking the same thing you were regarding the tub. I am good with the electronics piece, but I am an amateur at welding and that part drove me crazy. I outsourced to friends and family the welding I had to do on the body so it would look nice. I did do some on the frame horns myself.

Please take a look at my thread in my signature. I spent two and a half years of nights and weekends doing what you are about to embark on. I had to restore my frame horns too among a lot of other things. I took a lot of photos and descriptions, so you might get some valuable information that will help you. I hope so anyway. It makes it worth it when you help someone else out and basically are able to pay back and pass along all the help others gave you when working your own project.

Return to “- PHOTO GALLERY -”