PE95K Military Generator Piston Rings

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
onan
G-Civilian
PE95K Military Generator Piston Rings

Post by onan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Hello:
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I collect and restore vintage military generators. (14). I an presently restoring a 70 year old PE95K that has suffered many years of bad storage. There were two cylinders seized with a lot of rust and carbon. On removing the pistons, I noticed that there are four ring groves and only three rings. The top groves were full of carbon. Is the top grove not to have a ring in it? All of the ring sets that I have seen have only had three rings In them. Can someone clue me in on what the story is on the missing ring. The engine is the four cylinder jeep engine.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: PE95K Military Generator Piston Rings

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:05 pm

The top groove is what is called a "Heat Dam" and helps prevent carbon forming the top ring groove, the groove for the "Heat Dam" has no ring. There is a brand commercial replacement Jeep piston that do not have this "Heat Dam", the name of that brand is Badger.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:36 pm

John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

onan
G-Civilian

Post by onan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Thank you all for the information. Makes sense to me.
Thanks
Jerry

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”