More (GOOD) Changes in Wisconsin!

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
JAB
G-General
G-General

Re: More (GOOD) Changes in Wisconsin!

Post by JAB » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:45 pm

creinemann wrote:Paul, anybody? Does anyone know if Gov Walker signed this into law? It was presented to him on 12/12/13
I just got this earlier today. I hope Tom & Paul don't mind me posting the whole thing:
TO ALL,

We Have Succeeded!

Tom and I were in attendance yesterday when Governor Walker signed the Old Car Preservation Act into law. It would never have happened without everyone's help. Thank You!

I'm writing to give you details, plus lay out our plans for the future.

The new law will take effect on Mar. 1, 2014. Collector plate applications after this date will honor the new statutes. The new changes include:

Vehicles plated as Collector, plus all former-military vehicles, will now be exempted from the Certification Label requirement, and cannot be denied registration for lacking this sticker.

Vehicles plated as Collector will now be able to be altered or modified provided that the body is not changed.

Vehicles plated as HMV will now be able to be used for occasional personal uses and "parts" vehicles are allowed, similarly to privileges currently allowed for Collector and Hobbyist plated vehicles.

Tom and I will begin meeting with DMV soon, to ensure that they implement the new law in a workable fashion. It's one thing to get the law changed. It's another to make sure that DMV policies work the way we intended.

What Happens Next?

We Want Your Input!
We have heard from many of you, about other ongoing issues with DMV. Now that we've succeeded with our initial goals, we're moving on to other problem areas. Some of them we are aware of, but we're pretty sure we haven't heard everything. So we need some input. Here are some of the issues on our radar, and we'd like to hear input on what else needs fixing from you.

Title Branding - Permanent notes added to a Title. Some are authorized by Statute, but DMV makes others up.

Title Bonding - Procedure for obtaining a Title if you do not have a valid Title for your vehicle.

Year Of Manufacture Plate - Many states allow Collector cars to use a historic license plate.

Rear Plate Only - Many states issue only one license plate per vehicle.

Collector/Hobbyist Plate Amnesty - Many owners were denied their choice of plate, and often forced into a Hobbyist plate for small modifications like a radio. We'd like to allow owners to correct this, by paying the fee for the correct plate ($11).

Once we identify the issues, we will then approach DMV to discuss how to go about achieving these goals. Some probably can be internal changes within DMV, but some will need more legislation. The first step is to identify our goals.

Some of you are particularly interested in one or another specific issue, and in some cases have already begun looking into it. Please get in touch with me directly if you have. We'd like to work with you, and not duplicate efforts.

Future Organization.
Tom and I met with the Wisconsin Car Club Alliance (WCCA) last month. Tom and I have achieved a lot, but we feel that it may be time to scale back our involvement with things somewhat. WCCA formed to monitor legislative activities, and we see no reason to duplicate their efforts. Tom and I intend to remain as involved as we need to be, but speaking for myself it's going on seven years now and I want to get back to my "normal" life if possible.
Tom and I both believe that it is crucial that our group email list is maintained, so that any future problems with DMV can be addressed effectively. As a group, we got laws passed, and we are strong enough to fight for our rights. We hope to work with WCCA to figure out a way that they can take over our email list and maintain it for the future.
As I have promised in the past, the group email list is only used to notify you of auto-related legislative information, and is never shared with anyone. More info about any changes will follow, as we continue to work out details with WCCA. In the meantime, there's work to do.

I hope I've included all the news for today. We'll be in touch soon.

Cheers,
Paul & Tom-(MotoRama)
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks Carl.

Likewise, thanks Jeff. I couldn't have said it better myself. Oh wait... :lol: :lol:

I managed to crash my car last night leaving the Capitol. I wasn't hurt. Car, well, not so lucky. So I'm behind in posting here.

It's true. It passed, as posted above. Yahoo!!!
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:08 am

Wow. Sorry to hear about your car. I hope it all works out financially. Leaving the capitol....it must be true, "no good deed goes unpunished"....
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:24 am

Well, it was Friday the 13th, so I guess it was inevitable that something bad would occur.

It's an older car, so no comp. insurance, just liability coverage. She's a goner, and I'm just out. I had to pay to get it flat-bedded off the highway, and I got a ticket to boot (because it's "department policy"). What a kick in the shorts.

Luckily nobody's hurt, so that's ok. But if that was the sacrificial vehicle needed to get the bill passed, then it was probably worth it.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tkdtim
G-Civilian

Post by tkdtim » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:51 am

Just a short WI story. So before purchasing my HMMWV in the 6/7 auction I emailed the WI DMV to verify I would have no problems registering. Here is the context of that convo:
======================
In the future I will be looking to title a formerly military owned HMMWV. This will come with a form SF97, a U.S. government-issued certificate that can be used to obtain a title for a vehicle.
Can you confirm the below is valid?
ALL FORMER MILITARY VEHICLES UNDER 10K gvw can once again register as you wish.

-------------------------------
Yes, you can title the HMMWV with the form SF97. What is the vin #? I’ll check to see if the application needs to be mailed in or if it can be done at a DMV Service Center.
--------------------------------
I've purchased the HMMWV but still waiting on EUC approval and form SF97 to arrive. The VIN is ######
--------------------------------
I would take your items into a service center to complete
=========================

So, I buy the HMMWV on 6/7 and wait, and wait, and wait, and finally get EUC cleared 3.5 months later and SF97 in the mail about a month after that. Armed with my proof of insurance, SF97, tax paid document, and SF97 transfer paperwork (comes with it), and the email correspondence from earlier I head down to the Green Bay DMV.

Lady at the counter looks up the VIN and looks at the paperwork all boggled. She says we have a few issues, the VIN is registered to a 1953 jeep already and that it says FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY on the title. She goes and talks to another person and comes back. Says she needs to call down to Madison, which she does. Then she says I need to send all my paperwork down to Madison for them to research it. I asked how long that would take and she told me she was sorry but it takes about 8 weeks.

Disappointed and a little bit frustrated I start driving home and decide to call Madison myself. I get a hold of a very nice lady in the research department and explain my situation. She explained she was very familiar with this because she helped write the documentation on titling HMMWV in WI. She said the OFFROAD part didn't matter because that it was just manufactured for offroad use. She also said that the DMV should have called down to them and they could release the VIN so they could reassign it back. She told me to go back down to the DMV and if they have any issues have them call Madison and ask for research dept.

Long story short (too late?) I go back to the dmv get a new lady (2 stalls down), I confidently hand her my paperwork and say, "If you have any problems Madison said to call down for their research dept." The first words out of her mouth were. "Do you want plates for this?" That's it, she didn't check anything, ask anyone anything, do anything the first lady couldn't have done. Walked right out with my registration and plates.

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 am

tkdtim,
I guess you can't prevent the individual mistakes from being made. Glad to hear that it got resolved quickly and satisfactorily.
The people currently running our DMV are much better than those from a few years back. Thanks for posting your update.
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

aw113sgte
G-Civilian

Post by aw113sgte » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:11 pm

I know it's a very old thread but it has some of the best info on WI registration. My goal is to buy a LMTV M1079 and convert it to an RV. From this thread it seems like I can register it under a hobbyist plate and that doesn't require the highway inspection sticker? I don't like the January limitation or the inability to "haul" more than 500lbs but since I would be doing significant modifications I don't think the collector tag is appropriate? I am trying to find the WI motor home requirements but have so far been unsuccessful. The vehicle would be purchased from Midwest Military Equipment and have a clean and clear title. I am a bit confused by the wording that only mentions certain(I think 4 and FMTVs are not included in that) military vehicles but I do fail a bit in lawyer speak. I don't care about which plate or the price, I don't care what the plate looks like or says, I care about free use.

Also, thank you so much for those that have put in all this effort to protect this.

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:47 pm

Sure wish we had this kind of strong arm
In Colorado to get our current laws regarding titling of HMV’s revoked

Return to “Legislative Issues”