New California Legacy license plate program

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
tipdog
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

New California Legacy license plate program

Post by tipdog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 am

Per the CA DMV website, if they have 7,500 pre-orders, CA DMV will issue legacy plates to any year model of vehicle starting in 2015. These would be new versions of the black letters on yellow, yellow letters on black, and yellow letters on blue plates as issued in California during the late 1950's into the early 1980's. This would not replace the current Year-of-Manufacture (YOM) program.

See here for more info: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just wish they would do the "Golden State" reflectorized plates. IMHO, those were the best looking plates ever issued by California.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: New California Legacy license plate program

Post by zepher11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Very cool. I bet they won't have a problem getting to 7,500 by Jan 1, 2015...I hope.

Thanks for posting! I hadn't heard anything about this program yet.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Lew Ladwig
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Lew Ladwig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 am

I would suggest you promote Colorado's version:
http://mvcconline.org/catagory2/license ... 20bill.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No need for selling plates. You don't need them on the vehicle. Just a regular plate of any kind in the tool box.
Lew Ladwig
CMHG, 9th ID, Commander
BSA Crew 42 Advisor, 9th ID reenactors
CFFC, IFFC president
2-'47 cj2a's
1-'45 gpw in full resto mode

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 am

Lew Ladwig wrote:I would suggest you promote Colorado's version:
http://mvcconline.org/catagory2/license ... 20bill.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No need for selling plates. You don't need them on the vehicle. Just a regular plate of any kind in the tool box.
That is a handy law where one does not need to have the plate affixed to the a military vehicle...only have it in possession within the vehicle.

California, however, will want to milk every bit of dough outta any program they devise. The state wouldn't do it at all unless there is money to be made...IMHO. I don't believe the proposed CA program is aimed at military vehicles as much as toward vehicles manufactured during the era the plates will be made available.

Cheers,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Return to “Legislative Issues”