New Efforts For Unrestricted Operation In Wisconsin

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

New Efforts For Unrestricted Operation In Wisconsin

Post by undysworld » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 pm

If you've paid attention, two bills were passed last year in Wisconsin which pertained to ex-military vehicles (milvehs). Milvehs were under attack by the WisDOT, because they didn't meet U.S. Safety Standards (FMVSS). The bills which were enacted pretty well addressed the needs of the true milveh collectors, those guys who only used their vehicles for parades and display functions. But those bills failed to address the many "users" in the state: the loggers, farmers, outdoorsman, etc. WisDOT refuses to register such vehicles, simply because they are "ex-military".

An effort has just begun to demand that WisDOT immediately begin offering normal, unrestricted registration for any milveh which satisfied the FMVSS requirements applicable at the time it was manufactured. Tom Zat, owner of Alfa Heaven http://www.alfaheaven.com/, is a restorer of Alfa Romeo automobiles and also sells surplus military vehicles. He's a licensed Wisconsin Motor Vehicle dealer, plus federally approved Motor Vehicle Manufacturer. Tom has submitted his demands to WisDOT in the form of 6 files, and CC'd our Governor and members of the Legislative Transportation Committees.

He cites the laws involved. He's included photos of FMVSS-compliant GMC Blazers, along with the WisDOT denial of registration letter. He's included the VIN data tables which DMV would need to refer to in order to determine FMVSS-compliance of a milveh, instead of the computer DMV relies upon which does not include the data. So far, DMV prefers to outlaw FMVSS-compliant motor vehicles rather than access their own data, merely for their own clerical convenience.

Tom is not trying to change any state or federal laws. Instead, he argues that WisDOT is intentionally ignoring existing laws. He makes his living off the resale of milvehs which the U.S. government sold to him, with SF-97's. He demands an immediate compliance with the laws which govern FMVSS regulations and state and federal laws pertaining to the titling/registration of FMVSS-compliant vehicles, or he will take WisDOT to court over it.

Vehicles included in this effort include 1) all pre-1969 ex-military motor vehicles, 2) all pre-1972 ex-military motor vehicles above 10,000 lbs. gvw, and 3) all other civilian-based ex-military motor vehicles which met FMVSS requirements at the time of their manufacture regardless of whether that vehicle presently bears a NHTSA FMVSS-compliance label. If successful, this will effect a lot of milvehs. Remember, milveh owners can still OPT to register under our new Historic Military Vehicle law, as long as their uses comply with the display/parade restrictions.

Please help support this effort, even if you choose to register your milveh under the HMV law. There are lots of folks who rely on their milveh for utility functions. They need a legal way to register their vehicle. We're not suggesting they license a Tiger Tank - these are all FMVSS-compliant Motor Vehicles.

If you are a Wisconsin resident, please call you Senator and your Assembly Representative and urge them to contact WisDOT Secretary Gottlieb, and tell him you support Tom Zat's demands that WisDOT/DMV honor existing laws covering ex-military vehicles. Click here to find out who represents you: http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Anyone desiring to see Tom's submitted files, please provide me with your direct email address, or call him directly. I don't know how to post them through the G. If you wish to forward the files, or can help by posting them, please feel free. The Federal laws Tom cites have bearing on all US states. Individual state laws vary.

Our DMV is simply out of control, and something must change. Recently, they even refused registration for a civilian GMC Blazer which had been painted olive drab, on the basis it was "ex-military". These are the intellectual powerhouses we've got working in our DMV. :roll:

Please help out if you can.

Thanks,
Paul Underwood

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Re: New Efforts For Unrestricted Operation In Wisconsin

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Congrats Paul. And to all of you still fighting. Keep us posted and let us outside of Wisconsin know what we can do to help. I would suggest posting to SEMA about this and also the old truck club that has advertised in many mil magazines. Can't think of the name right now, but I'll try to find it if you need it. For what it's worth, you've got my support.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Re: New Efforts For Unrestricted Operation In Wisconsin

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 am

The truck group is: American Truck Historical Society http://www.aths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ad on page 104 newest Supply Line.
Also check out Historic Vehicle Association http://www.historicvehicle.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; page 10 newest Supply Line.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Return to “Legislative Issues”