Wisconsin passes a less-restrictive HMV law.

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Wisconsin passes a less-restrictive HMV law.

Post by undysworld » Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 pm

All,

Gov. Jim Doyle today signed into law SB-392. I witnessed the signing. Here is the official Act: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/ ... SB0392.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is now a Wisconsin law.

Thanks to those of you who supported us in our efforts.

I am immediately starting work to expand this bill to include additional milvehs. First on my list is the M35A2, of which I own one which I use as a Farm truck. I predict this will be a slam-dunk, since the M35A2 drive train is nearly identical to the DUKW drive train, and the DUKW is already included in SB-392. It shouldn't be too hard to show that a deuce and 1/2 is at least as road-worthy as a DUKW, I'd think.

Remember, this is the bill that allows you to register your milveh as a "collector" and then use it to haul loads (milvehs are exempted from the 'collector car' payload restriction), and to register it for a one-time fee and then no annual renewal fees. (It requires that you NOT drive your truck in January - not a big deal in the land of salted-roadways.)

Whoever thinks they have additional vehicles which ought to be included in this less-restrictive law are welcome to contact me and join in my efforts. Things like Jeeps, Power Wagons, and the like come to mind. If you guys want the additional operating privileges, you'd better be prepared to stand up for those rights. Don't just stand around complaining because your truck was left out. Anyone??

Paul Underwood
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Re: Wisconsin passes a less-restrictive HMV law.

Post by gerrykan » Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Great news Paul!

Glad all your hard work paid off for you!

Roy

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Wed May 05, 2010 6:12 pm

As of tonight, I have a second deuce & 1/2 owner interested in the next step. BTW, SB-392 passed both the Senate and the State Assembly by voice votes. This means that it enjoyed sufficient bipartisan support that an actual vote count was considered unnecessary.

Here is a photo of Gov. Doyle signing the bill this afternoon!: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 1039350767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yahoo!
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Wed May 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Paul,
Your determination and leadership, your focus and knowledge have served the owners of MV's well. It is my hope that those who said it could not be done will now step forward and offer there thanks as well.
I would ask how likely would it be to get a court ordered stay or hold on the previously passed DOT 404?
When will the Wisconsin legislature re-convene so as to have amendments to the pro MV law heard?
Would it be possible to amend this law to read as it did prior to being narrowed to specific vehicles. I believe it originally read ...All former military vehicles of any nation older than twenty years and we should add (except those fully tracked) which will prevent any concerns of tanks being driven to Sunday school but sort of quietly include half tracks without pointing them out.
Paul please accept my personal THANKS!
Kevin Lockwood
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Fri May 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Congratulations Paul, and all who worked for this. Thank you for fighting for this. Ditto on Gerrykan's applause. (How does he do that!!!) Best wishes to the future.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Fri May 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Paul, just a thought. After dealing with "official" types for years, don't be too specific. First on my list is the M35A2, of which I own one which I use as a Farm truck . Just say something about the M35 series trucks, not just the M35A2, or whatever. Congresscritters are waaaay to literal in what they are presented with, mostly due to ignorance, not malice. :D If you tell them M35A2, then M35's or M275's or M35A3's or M211's or anything else will not be covered. Even the more generic 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck families might be better than telling them anything about M this or M that. Best wishes

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sat May 08, 2010 3:46 am

don't be too specific
Old Dodge Guy,

You're absolutely correct. But I'll be the first to confess that I am no expert on milveh models.

One of the biggest difficulties in creating a new law seems to be figuring out exactly how to write precisely what you mean. How do you adequately describe it so there is no question what the law meant? In Wisconsin, WisDOT applied a law which prohibits licensing "mini-bikes, go-carts, and all terrain vehicles" to Pinzgauers, even though U.S.DOT/NHTSA previously determined that Pinzgauers are "motor vehicles" and those other vehicles are not.

So when we try to add vehicles to this list of "approved models", how do we best describe the vehicles in question? So far, the list is very model-specific. What description would adequately include trucks like the 2 & 1/2 ton or the 5 tons, while preventing someone from registering the type of vehicle WisDOT seemed so afraid of - a Stryker?

Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

avlon01
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by avlon01 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 am

Go to Wikipedia and search for M-Series US Military Vehicles.

Anything with wheels must be added.

Listing specific vehicles is a bad idea. A much more general law would have been ideal. I really wish the two camps could have come together and helped our MV cause in WI, rather than hurt it.

Phil

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Wow, after this amount of time, better minds than mine have not responded. :shock: I claim no real expertise in this, but I'll give it a shot. It will be long, and may stomp on a few toes, but it will be a start. Maybe it will start a heated debate, but any debate will be better that none. So, here goes.... :?
avlon01 wrote:Listing specific vehicles is a bad idea
is right. So how do we get there, since this is how the bill has started. Say something like this....."exempting the M35 series trucks generally known as the 2 1/2 ton series 6X6 trucks, and those of generally similar type, of various manufactures". Hopefully this would include 2 1/2 ton trucks of GMC or IHC or Studebaker manufacture. If not, maybe some better with words can add to this discussion. Since M715's are already on the list, amend that to..."exempting the M715 series 4X4 type trucks, and those of generally similar type, of various manufactures". to include the Dodge M37's and the WC WW2 type vehicles, and maybe the Jeeps, too. Again, a little help from better wordsmiths could be of aid. With clever wording, the 5 ton 6X6's could be included in the M35 exemption. I would like to see wording that goes from a specific truck (like the M35 Series) to a more "general" description that would cover ALL 6X6's, and from like the M715's to a more general description covering covering ALL 4X4's, like Dodge's and Jeep's. Perhaps confering with the Kansas guys, and obtaining a copy of their bill can shed some light on this. Would anyone from the MVPA Board like to add to this? I already KNOW I come into this with a specific bias, so anyone else needs to balance my thoughts, or add to them. OK. I'll close for now, don't wish to hog the discussion. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. Old Dodge Guy

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Thu May 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Sorry guys. Not meaning to ignore the issue. But to be honest, I've been sitting back and catching my breath after everything. That and trying to do all the rest of life, cutting firewood, fixing Pinzgauers, fixing my tractor, shingling the roof, having a family, etc...

I was told that the "standard ordinance nomenclature" for the deuce group was G-742 by David Doyle. He suggested this as a better description, and one which would then include all the various individual models. (I hope I'm using the terminology correctly.) Since DUKWs are included, this size truck would seem a no-brainer.

For smaller vehicles, I'd think a blanket GVW might work, say to include all vehicles less than XX Lbs. (15,000 ?)

I dunno. But since we've got to live with the "approved model" list, we need to be giving this some serious thought before heading back to our legislators. I don't fancy being the only guy here in Wisconsin trying to figure out how to write it correctly. My knowledge of Pinzgauers and Deuce & 1/2s comes from owning one of each. Hopefully, one of our more knowledgeable collectors will step forward to help with this.

Paul

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm

What happened in Wisconsin should be a wake up call that YOU have to stand up for your rights, and not leave it for others to do all the work because you're too busy(or whatever).
A lot of Wisconsin Military Vehicle owners are now in 'Parade Only' mode due to leaving it to others to look out for their best interests, only to get sold down the river.

I have never conversed with Paul(undysworld) other than on this forum, but I would bet that he is as busy as anyone else with work, family, etc, but he found the time and did the work required to get his bill passed almost singlehandedly. I hope that others who want less restrictive licensing will now join to expand the law, and not sit back and expect Paul to do it for you.
Roy

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Fri May 21, 2010 5:18 am

In my experience the KISS method is generally best.
"to include all former military vehicles (except those fully tracked) of any nation that are at least twenty years old"
As to the Stryker fear being promoted by the WisDOT attorneys I think we would be able to ask them to show just how many armored cars have been surplussed in the last ten years. Most likely no Stryker will be ever sold to the general public.
I feel that any attempt to refer to specific vehicle types will bore or confuse most legislators and if they feel unsure of the situation you might lose their interest/support.
Military vehicles have shared the highways all across the U.S. for ninety years and continue to do so today we are not asking for anything new just a continued privilege to share our nation's great history with others.
Kevin Lockwood
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I want to see trucks like the M715, AM715, M998, M1097A2, M1152A1, 1165A1, M275/A1/A2, M52/A1/A2, M818, M915, M93? tractor, M123/A1C, M125, and M920 those should cover me really well . . .

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1982 AMC-Jeep J/20 Honcho.
1988 AMC-Jeep V8 Comanche .
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Wisconsin is one messed up state.
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

Txjake
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Txjake » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 am

:D well done Paul!
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..

Return to “Legislative Issues”