Re: WisDOT ban on Ex-Mil Veh. (AB-592) (TRANS-123)

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:59 pm

:mrgreen: Its true :shock: I don't really maintain my MV i drive it for a half hour twice a year and let it sit :( . . .

I have had it 3 years and have only changed the oil once and the coolant once and have filled and bleed out the brake system 3 times, None of the other fluid's have been checked . . .

The air filter is not hooked up, the carb it out of tune, the exhaust manifold is busted, brakes come and go, the fuel filter is from Jeg's or summit gets changed every trip, But all the bloody lights work tho the horn comes and goes . . .

Oh yea and its full of dents and rust :oops:

Oil is full and clean, the coolant is full and clean good to -45*F, Brake fluid is full and clean now :lol: The owner before changed and serviced nothing except the week before selling it to me it got all its fluids and filters changed along with complete tune up :wink:

But my truck is a "stones throw away from the junkyard" anyhow as most would say . . . So being that most of you think it's just "rolling scrap iron" waiting to be recycled i'm prolly over maintaining it :roll:

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1982 AMC-Jeep J/20 Honcho.
1988 AMC-Jeep V8 Comanche .
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:22 am

Jeff Rowsam and a few other promInent MV collectors played a major role in the success of this measure.
Success or not? Depends on your perspective.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm now better off than I was before: I can now register my Pinzgauer, as a Collector vehicle, for a one-time fee and I can still use the truck whenever I want (except during January, when the roads are salted anyway) and use it to haul whatever or whoever I want.

I can only assume that all the guys who backed Jeff Rowsam's efforts are satisfied with his work and the HMV (parades, etc.) law that they got. If they're happy, then I am too.

I'm not entirely satisfied, since soon my Duece & 1/2 will be useless as my farm truck. So I intend to see what can be done to get other vehicles added to the "approved model list", just like the DUKWs. But that's tomorrow's fight.

He said, she said? Whatever. I see no gain from trying to make others look bad. But I'll also be quick to defend my actions against others who seek to make me out as the "bad guy" in this affair. The proof's in the paperwork for anyone who wants a look. Mike, you're in Madison, so if you've got questions, let me know.
truth is these vehicles are most likely less safe then most.
Than most?? Well, then let's talk about motorcyclists without helmets and how safe we compare against them? Or whether motorcycles are as safe as automobiles. Yet motorcycles are allowed to operate unrestricted here, aren't they? So why hold milvehs to some absurd standard? If milvehs are so unsafe, then DOT ought to have amassed statistical evidence of such. They didn't, or couldn't.
It is true in some respects.
Yes, agreed. But is it to such a respect that these vehicles cannot be used, but rather deserve to be limited to parade-only functions? ??? In many states, specific laws already require some vehicles to be upgraded, ie. seat belts, signal lights, etc. So if the owner wants to use the truck, he/she would be required to make those modifications. Wisconsin already had such an assortment of laws (Wis. Statute Ch. 347 and Wis. Admin. Code Trans305).
To hear him tell it(as he often does), anyone that is not US Army trained has no business owning a former US military vehicle.
Heh, heh. Well, Ben seems to appreciate tossing out the short one-liners, but rarely supports his comments in-depth. As Tom pointed out, any vehicle can become unsafe through lack of maintenance or repairs. It's certainly not a condition unique to milvehs. In fact, my experience has shown that obtaining parts or manuals for old milvehs is generally easier than getting those for an antique civvy vehicle. I can obtain nearly every part for my 33-year old Pinzgauer with 3 days, the most common ones from my local NAPA. The problem with a poorly-maintained vehicle is a problem with the owner, not a design flaw within the trucks themselves. I've never been in the military (flat feet and a broken neck), and I'm neither Austrian nor Swiss, but I can fix Pinzgauers. In fact, last year I logged nearly 200 hrs. of repairs & maintenance work on my truck. In my opinion, this issue simply has no bearing on whether milvehs deserve to be legal to register in Wisconsin.

Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Ben has over 6 decades experience in the military truck parts and sales business and is Army trained on most MV's of the 40's-90's era such as collectors use. He has also been a consultant to civilian gov't agencies on use and maintenance of these vehicles since the 60's..
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Ben,

Ya got me beat, by a long shot. I wasn't intending to denegrate you or your knowledge. This past hassle in Wisconsin was such a complex matter that one-liners rarely covered the issues. But sometimes you've tossed out tidbits that only seemed to stir up others. I felt that your comments would have been more helpful if they had been a bit more fully explained.

Anyway, no offense intended, hopefully none taken.

Regards,
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:39 pm

undysworld wrote:

He said, she said? Whatever. I see no gain from trying to make others look bad. But I'll also be quick to defend my actions against others who seek to make me out as the "bad guy" in this affair. The proof's in the paperwork for anyone who wants a look. Mike, you're in Madison, so if you've got questions, let me know.

Paul
I simply stated that people are playing some sort of blame game, saying "this' guy only did this , while "that" guy did this and this . . . :roll:
was all i ment :wink:

I ain't got much for question's really its rather simply my M275 is nothing more the farm tractor/Yard decoration unless i want to parade it around like some dressed up show girl :lol:

:shock: Which its not :oops: just another rust bucket kicking about the back roads and muddy field trails :wink: . . .

:lol: Can't miss it, it's the bright yellow truck wrinkled fender ? cracked drivers window ? with a boat tank bungie corded to the left inner fender well :lol:

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:15 am

No worries Mike. I hope I see you on the road someday. Given a chance, I'll swap you a ride in my Pinz for a ride in that '69 AMX... :D

P.U.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:28 am

undysworld wrote:Ben,

Ya got me beat, by a long shot. I wasn't intending to denegrate you or your knowledge. This past hassle in Wisconsin was such a complex matter that one-liners rarely covered the issues. But sometimes you've tossed out tidbits that only seemed to stir up others. I felt that your comments would have been more helpful if they had been a bit more fully explained.

Anyway, no offense intended, hopefully none taken.

Regards,
Paul
It took hard work on the behalf of a hard working few to get the legislation passed, the results benefited many, and you can't please them all. Criticisism is always part of the politics,. There are leaders and followers in this world, the followers always make the most noise, but never seem to be part of the solution.
In this case the followers can be a part of the solution by having clean safe MV's operated in a manner that pleases the bureaucrats.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

:lol: Its cheaper to strap a boat tank to the fender twice a year and watch it rust the rest of the year :lol: The "M275" won't added to any such "list" any time soon as i swear i got the only one left world wide or so it feel's not likely to have another one floating around locally . . .

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:00 pm

undysworld wrote:No worries Mike. I hope I see you on the road someday. Given a chance, I'll swap you a ride in my Pinz for a ride in that '69 AMX... :D

P.U.
I just took it off the road last fall and started a total restoration on it, once its back on the road your more then welcome to come for a ride 8)

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

Combined Operations
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Combined Operations » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

I find it a crying shame that the legislature of Wisconsin has so much time & energy to invest in such a ridiculous issue. There are bigger fish to fry on agendas EVERYWHERE. May I suggest, as you fight this good fight, that you examine Florida Statutes for excellent examples of legislation that address these issues to the collector's advantage. FS Section 320 covers motor vehicle licenses & registration. Florida is VERY good to vintage vehicle collectors of all types, including street rods, MV's & antique fire-fighting apparatus. You may find the following sections particularly useful....especially as proven, workable examples of what you may wish to see incorporated into your efforts:

Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 320
MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES View Entire Chapter

CHAPTER 320

MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES

320.08053 Requirements for requests to establish specialty license plates.

320.08056 Specialty license plates.

320.08058 Specialty license plates.

320.0842 Free motor vehicle license plates to veterans who use wheelchairs.

320.084 Free motor vehicle license plate to certain disabled veterans.

320.0845 License plates for members of Paralyzed Veterans of America.

320.0846 Free motor vehicle license plates to active members of the Florida National Guard.

320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.

320.0863 Street rods; license plates.

320.089 Members of National Guard and active United States Armed Forces reservists; former prisoners of war; survivors of Pearl Harbor; Purple Heart medal recipients; Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Veterans; special license plates; fee.

320.0891 U.S. Paratroopers license plate.

320.0893 Motor vehicle license plates to recipients of the Medal of Honor.

.... The point of all this is that Florida has figured out how to make a whole inventory of exceptions for all kinds of special interest groups, recognize the sacrifices made by our veterans, how to protect the investments I have made in my "Historic Military Vehicles" AND allow me to enjoy them. As it stands right now, I can register my MV using the numbers painted on my hood; OR get a permanent Antique or Horseless Carriage plate (depending on whether or not my MV was manufactured before Jan 1, 1946...); go out to a parade &/or just take a Sunday ride down by the beach. There is even a provision that I DO NOT have to display my plate if the primary use of the vehicle is for parades or events AND the omission of the tag will help preserve the accuracy of the MV's historic military markings. Check that one out in 320.086.

We figured it out, so anyone should be able to. I hope this helps you... Best of luck defeating the boneheads !!

David DeWeese
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by David DeWeese » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Karl.
Please contact me at 972-979-6629 about the command car body you purchased.
Thanks, David

Return to “Legislative Issues”