WISCONSIN DOT TO PROPOSE MV BAN

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
Cat Man
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
WISCONSIN DOT TO PROPOSE MV BAN

Post by Cat Man » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 am

The WISCONSIN DOT has proposed a new rule/law called Trans 123 that eliminates many Historic Military Vehicles including all post 1968 MV’s from WI highways. I’m sending this out to everyone we know and asking (begging) you and your fellow Wisconsin collectors to get involved!!!! Please pass this on to every car and truck collector you know. Tell the veterans groups we parade with, tell the schools we display for, tell the municipal parade organizers we support and the Volenteer fire dept that uses converted MV’s.

We strongly urge you to quickly share this information with your HMV and old car club members. We are urging everyone with an interest in the MV hobby to attend the public hearing next Wed at the DOT offices Madison and to call their legislators to oppose Trans 123 in its current format.

Collectors with pre 1968 vehicles need to help too. This will BAN many collector and hobbyist vehicles.

Call your legislators and tell them we oppose the Trans 123 proposal for four reasons.
1)It seeks to define ANY vehicle made after 1968 that is not 100% compliant with the NHTSA, as designed for “off road” only. This is too broad and will eliminate many collector vehicles in the hobbyist or Historic Military vehicle groups.
2)The proposal is far too broad and seeks to provide a single broad definition that affects too many collector situations.
3)The proposal wording is very difficult to read or understand.
4)The proposal seeks to provide for public safety, but bans many post 1968 vehicles including Historic Military vehicles. These HMV’s have been legally registered and operated by collectors in WI since 1968 with no significant traffic safety issues that would support any call by the public to ban them.

Here is the link to the details of the proposal and the hearing.
Relating to Grounds for Refusing Registration:
http://apps.dhfs.state.wi.us/admrules/p ... RmoId=4183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please get the word out. We need to at least get this slowed down and let more people have input. Call your legislators and get them involved. Tell them we need their help to voice opposition to this rule for the 4 reasons.

I will be testifying on behalf of a coalition of Historic Military Vehicle collector clubs in WI, and against Trans 123 at the hearing next week.

Hurry!!

Thanks

Cat Man

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: WISCONSIN DOT TO PROPOSE MV BAN

Post by Buggy Man » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Just my $.02 here, Remember folks it can start in WI, but end up in your state.

Good Luck,
Matt

F Bill
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: no longer on the road, USA formerly Central TX based. Now NY Capital District

Post by F Bill » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Don't these guys(WI legislators) have anything better to do with their time and our money? Didn't they just go thru this with the Pinzgauers?? WHat a bunch of weenie beancounters! :evil:
F Bill-no longer chasing oversize loads out west, I'm in NY now.
Certified jeep Addict in recovery

podski
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by podski » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Shouldn't the MVPA be able to help combat this legislation in WI?
Ken
1942 GPW

itlldue

Post by itlldue » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:57 pm

From what I read, it in NOT a proposal to specifically ban MVs, although they will be caught up in the fray.

Did I miss something? It looks to me like they target ALL previous off-road vehicles.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm

It's time for all MV and other historic/antique vehicle owners to ban together with their Congressional Representatives. We need to have a legislative website to let our Congressionals know where we stand.
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

lten1063
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by lten1063 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:10 pm

I agree about the MVPA and should intervin when a government imposses a law that will hurt HMV collector/hobbist & restorers and should hire a Lobbyest to do just that. The NRA does it so the MVPA needs to help us out.

Like one said if a such law is passed that hurts us in one state then it will filter down to the other 49 states one by one.

Later Joe
"Apply The 5 "P" theory" (Previous Planning Prevents Poor Performance)"
"When something becomes FUBAR We Blame it on SNAFU Then Try to SWAG Our Way Out of it"
"My Wooden Nickels Worth"
"If ur Running Late, slo down & Walk Early next X"

fightingiron

Post by fightingiron » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Who specifically in your legislature is proposing this? Once you find out target that person and find out what the problem is. Just my 2 cents worth to. Jon
1943 M3 Halftrack
1942 Ford GPW
1942 WC56 Command Car
1942 GMC CCKW 353
1952 XM107E2 Water Buffalo
1943 M5A1 Stuart Tank (gone but not forgotten)

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Sounds like they are trying to keep ATVs off the highways doesn't it?
Call up the bill's sponsor and ask him if that is what the bill is all about and let him know you strongly support it, but the language is misleading and broadbased.....and may be used to serve the banning of more than ATVs from the highways....which ultimately then you and thousands of others will have to fight tooth and nail.

Probably some manufacturer of NEW off-road vehicles that WILL comply with his new legislation have chipped into his reelection fund so they can eliminate those older vehicles and force the locals who DO want to use them in winter and for other uses to SELL them and BUY some new piece of junk from THEIR company....

Follow the money they say......

If this was anything else, they could prevent it simply by enforcing a clause that mandates "automobile insurance" on these vehicles to used them on the highway.....and if the insurance industry finds out you are driving your ATV on the highway......they'll cancel you!

Follow the money.....and if the bill's sponsor refuses to change the language let him know you want a CURRECT list of campaign contributors.....that might get his/her attention!
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

David Welch
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by David Welch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:01 pm

The MVPA is assembling a team to work on this issue.

I have asked Jeff Rowsam from Denmark WI to head a Sub Committee to organize and execute an effort to stop this rule change before it becomes law. All politics is local and we need people from WI to be the point of the spear.

Jeff has also agreed to develop procedures that will allow us to respond in a unified way, from the lessons learned in this and other recent DOT issues. Jeff is a long time MVPA member and I am confident he will act in the best interest of the hobby. Thank you Jeff !

David L. Welch
President MVPA
M29C 7195 Sold dwelchl@aol.com
Dukw 353-22096 Sold
GPA 1359 (matching numbers)
GPA 7865 ( matching numbers)
GPA 6030 (engine 11177)
GPA 3891 ( V 6)
[url]www.gpadukw. com[/url

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:16 am

This is serious business.
It is also a wake up that the lawmakers expect a vehicle that is restored to be just that and have all of its original operating features the same as when originally manufactured. Surplus MVs have been registered to operate on highways in huge numbers since the end of WWII and have had a good safety record when they have been properly maintained. In recent times the Federal agencies have stepped in and restricted the use of the M-151, Humvee, and Gama Goat on highways. Perhaps it is the continued operation of the latter that triggered off the new limits.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:02 am

Ben

Don't blame 151s and Humvees for this. AMG made a virtually identical Hummer H1 that operates on the highways. As for the M151, the rear swing arm of the later model Ford Explorer uses the same type of rear swing arm that was cited as reason for destroying the M151A2 yet noone proposes banning the later model Ford Explorers with independent rear suspension. I would submit that my M151a1 is less of a rollover and safety hazard (especially with its ROPS 6 point roll cage) than any 4x4 with a lift kit and tall tires.

Raymond

EDIT: American Growler, Titan, and Encore all made M151 repro bodies that they fitted with M151 engines, trans, suspension, etc, that all were legal for operation on the public highways.
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

skinnedknuckles
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by skinnedknuckles » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

We had our public hearing today and it seemed to go well. We filled the small meeting room to standing room only with 60+ people. They ,of course, did not expect as many to attend. Everyone either opposed this ban (majority) or they wanted more information (very few). Quite a few of us voiced our opinion including Jeff Rowsam (mvpa), Paul Underwood (wis. Pinz), and Jay Ferris (from the office of one of the lawmakers). They did an excellent job representing us right at the beginning. The rest of us added and strengthened what they said. The hearing lasted about 3 hours and was very professional! Much was discussed. We have until Friday the 31st at 4:30 to email any more opinions to the DOT. According to this proposed rule, grandfathering will be good for those with taggs already but not for purchasers afterIF/WHEN this current text becomes law. But ,like was discussed in the hearing, this proposal is VERY BROAD and VAGUE and needs to be totally revised.
On to the next step.... Wish us luck,
Paul in Janesville, Wis
Paul in Janesville, Wi
Havin' fun turnin' wrenches and burnin' wire in Wisconsin

StudebakerM275
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by StudebakerM275 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm stupid please do explain what happened ?
can i tag the M275er or not ?

I think they should at least allow Collector's plates to be issue as there not used much then and ain't towing :wink:

Mike
1953 Studebaker M275.
1962 GMC K4500.
1969 AMC-AMX.
1976 Arctic Cat Jag.
1977 Ford F350.
1982 AMC-Jeep J/20 Honcho.
1988 AMC-Jeep V8 Comanche .
1992 Trans Am GTA.
2007 Honda Rubicon.

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:55 am

StudebakerM275 wrote:I'm stupid please do explain what happened ?
can i tag the M275er or not ?

I think they should at least allow Collector's plates to be issue as there not used much then and ain't towing :wink:

Mike
Started in 2007, read this: http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=101394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roy

Return to “Legislative Issues”