Wisconsin banning military vehicles?

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
Doug Mc
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Wisconsin banning military vehicles?

Post by Doug Mc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:22 pm

Has anyone from Wisconsin heard of this?

One of my customers in Wisconsin attempted to register his new jeep there and was told that it is illegal to register military vehicles there. He argued, pleaded, begged and whined to no avail. He asked "what about all the other military jeeps I see on the road?" and was told that the state just acquired the technology to determine military vehicle serial numbers and is in the process of revoking all issued MV titles. No new titles will be issued.

He waited for a few months to get his new jeep and now can't register it or legally drive on Wisconsin highways. I was slack jawed when he told me about this and still have a hard time believing it.

If this is the case, shouldn't the MVPA know about it?

Anyone?

Doug Mc
Doug McArthur ADR2(AC) MedRet
United States Navy 1959 - 1967
----------------------------------------

Hummerkiller

Sounds like a Constitutional argument to me!

Post by Hummerkiller » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm

I would be writing my Congress men and Senators and getting other Jeep owners on National TV if it were me.

If a guy can have a Rock Crawler with 30 inch tire I can have a WWII Jeep!

Who ever enacted this Rubbish in Wisconsin's DOT will loose their job you watch!

Politicians are going to loose a ton of votes if the are backing this rubbish!

I have noticed DOT here in Texas is getting heavy handed as well, threatened me about selling a Jeep without any Data plates last fall, it was a replacement tub for a buddy of mine who's Jeep was rusted out,

Don't forget these DOT workers work hand in hand with State Police and they all have badges so you can't win unless you go over their heads.

Put pressure on the moron's in the State Government and use the media all you can is the only way to beat them at screwing us all over.

Taxes like on Cigarettes and other tobacco products is "Taxation with out representation" same thing with how the seat belt laws came into effect in most States.

What happen to the voice of the People and voting on such agenda's???

Off road freedoms are barely existent in the North East these days,is a perfect example.

It's getting time to speak up like in the 1960's and force change before we loose all our rights.

I did not serve and fight for this country to be told I can't do anything I want to and none of us pay taxes to be told the darn same thing!

People these days just let the State and federal Goverments get away with stuff and no one takes any action.

Make a stink and cause political trouble to these jerks or they will just keep taking our freedoms away one at a time.

YES this was a little political sorry but it had to be said!

Hummerkiller Pissed off!
Last edited by Hummerkiller on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi Guys,
My jeeps just says 1941 Willys jeep or 1942 Willys jeep on the title and reg.. It does not say anything about being military on it?
Do you have to register it as a "Military" jeep in Wis.?

Who can prove, from the DMV, that it is a military jeep if you don't mention it? They never question anything here...except how much the purchase price was when transfering titles.

Sorry if I am confused :oops: ??

But if someone just walks in and says, "Hi, I'd like to register my "little old jeep, it's a 40-1, 2 ,3 ,4 or 5, wouldn't that work??

Wendy

breven52
G-Major
G-Major

Post by breven52 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:02 pm

ok i think we need to blockade the highways like the truckers in the 60's....not really but i think this is garbage.....this is dumber than spending millions on demilling perfectly good vehicles....it makes no sense at ALLLLLL my jeep was sent through a rebuild depo and becme a 42 with 44 plates, 43 frame and registered on its realse date from the airforce as a 1948 .....i know im gonna have a hard time repairing the number damage to my jeep and well i know that the DoT has never really went out of thier way to help mv owners re title
'42 Script GPW GPW6434
'41/2 Slat Grill Willys MB
'43 Bantam T-3 trailer
'62 Ford M151
MVPA#30758

Bill Eldred
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Bill Eldred » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:09 pm

Kind of glad mine is registered as a 42 CJ-2. Not that important to me.
42 MB123366 USA 2078369 est.
Need a hood number for my Slat.
USAF Foward Air Combat Controller
Lebanon, Libya, Grenada, Panama, DS1

Hummerkiller

Man I agree with you guys

Post by Hummerkiller » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:14 pm

Wendy has a good idea but it is also a little risky with DOT as they know the war years very well now.

If it comes down that you can register a CJ but not a MB/GPW M38A1 M151 ect, it will be grounds for Constitutinal debate with Congress.

Everytime a American seems to be having fun in life these bastards won't to take away and I know I am getting pretty darn tired of it, I was a Hippy before a Marine and now I am a Vet and trust me I know how to protest, and I will be happy to drive to Wisconson to march in a Parade or be on TC and make statements in a heart beat.

Maybe just maybe their should be a Military vehcle show in Wisconson and get the whole pubilc involved with their History and get petititions runnig all around the State too.

You make enougn noise and the so called public servants will back off and find some else to bother!

We the tax payers pay their salary remeber that!

You have to pay for Titles and plate registrations and all that it's not FREE!

Still pissed off Hummer Killer!
Last edited by Hummerkiller on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GI.
Sergeant Major [E-9]

Post by GI. » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:01 pm

Wendy,s right, dont go in there to reg. your jeep by saying its a military vech. you might be very proud of your jeep but a lot of folks could care less. and it just makes there job more difficult. i reg. my m151a1 as a ford jeep. no prob. another friend reg. his as a willis jeep. unless your looking for problems. stay away from military names. save all that stuff for your club meeting,s. keep life simple and dont say anymore then you have to when dealing with the Dot or any outher Govt. agency.

lten1063
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re:

Post by lten1063 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:16 pm

I looked on the Wisconsin DOT web site and did not see anything pertaining to Registration of Surplus Military Vehicles.

What I would do and he should have done it at first is to have DMV to show me/him the State Statue (SS), House Bill (HB) & ect. in writing governering Registration of surplus military vehicles.

If they can't produce such and you have all the required paper work in hand then I would demand they title it.

It could be an individual thing against MVs or to the military as a whole. I would try another clerk / office.

If he still gets the runaround then I would find a near by state that would be happy collect the funds. Thier gain, Wisconsin's lost.

We all had experiance with clerks that all they want to do is rain your parade but the next clerk will break thier back to please you.

If they do produce in writing a such bill then I would do as Hummerkiller qouted.

Good luck and best wishes to get this done.

Later Joe
"Apply The 5 "P" theory" (Previous Planning Prevents Poor Performance)"
"When something becomes FUBAR We Blame it on SNAFU Then Try to SWAG Our Way Out of it"
"My Wooden Nickels Worth"
"If ur Running Late, slo down & Walk Early next X"

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:50 pm

The state of Illinois does not have a personal property tax on personal vehicles. You would be surprised how many of my friends at the marina where I keep my boat (it is in Illinois just across the bridge from Missouri) register their cars and boats and trailers in Illinois. They just use the marina address and their dock number and the paperwork is mailed their.

Raymond

P.S. Illinois alsodoes not require a state inspection before reliscencing a vehicle.
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

blackdog
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General
Post by blackdog » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:01 pm

Sounds to me like you all are getting worked up over something that was probably only the case of a dumb DMV employee (if you can believe it)... I'd suggest he try another DMV or better -- an Auto Club...

Hummerkiller

Yes good post Black Dog!

Post by Hummerkiller » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 pm

You maybe right, you know the hummerkiller i go bezerk anytime the Goverment messes with our Rights to own and wheel Military vehicles myself.

But if it's not the case Get angry and mean about it and force change!

Hey Black Dog buddy how you been man???
Last edited by Hummerkiller on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:50 am

I obviously have not that kind of problem, since I am in Italy, but I have one question.
If a jeep was surplused ( and this might have happened quite a long time ago) wouldn't it lose ipso facto its military status, and become a civilian vehicle?
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

jagjetta
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

rumors and truths

Post by jagjetta » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:26 am

Careful guys before going off half-cocked. The same story was delivered to me yesterday and there appear to bea myriad of layers to his story. I haven't seen the documentation yet but should have it in my hands (if it exists) by the end of next week.

We are prepared for any action that is required, but it is crucial to deal in facts and not emotional responses or personal interpretations of events.

I will keep the Gee informed of anything that I can learn...we have good contacts in both the Republican and Democrat camps in Wisconsin.

John A-G
Iola, WI
John A-G
Editor, History in Motion

Doug Mc
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Doug Mc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 am

I've been on the phone with the owner and the MVPA and an investigation is underway. There is the possibility that this is "policy" rather than "law". It's been my experience in a lot of dealing with the federal government that "policy" is pretty easy to reverse if there is no written law banning it. Also, I've found that bureaucrats don't like being put in a fishbowl for everyone to look at. A little publicity can work wonders.

In any event, there seems to be a lot of MV owners in WI that would be affected by this so we'll see what happens.

Doug Mc
Doug McArthur ADR2(AC) MedRet
United States Navy 1959 - 1967
----------------------------------------

weasel nut
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by weasel nut » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Stop calling them "Military Vehicles"...Call them "Historic Military Vehicles " (The connotation takes them from being killing machines to a part of sacrifice and history).

This makes the desentors look like Nazi book burners and in the fishbowl of life that is a very, very bad association for a politician or "Public Servant" (Public Servant term used very losely :roll:)

It can also bring the liberal press off the "war" issue and on to your side of the history issue and the attempt to revise it.

Use the new term...you would be shocked at the amount of mamby-pamby types it swings to your side.

Return to “Legislative Issues”