M170 Data Plates

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
rickcavalieros
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
M170 Data Plates

Post by rickcavalieros » Tue May 24, 2005 4:59 am

Hello there:

My surplus M170 ambulance came with mismatching data plates, that is, the plate riveted to the body behind the passenger´s seat does not match the serial numbers on the dash cluster of plates...

On the "Willys" plate behing the seat, it has two sets of numbers were it says: Serial Number XXXXX YYYYY ..........How do you tell which set of numbers is the actual serial :?:

Thanks,

Rick

Wes K
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Wes K » Tue May 24, 2005 5:52 am

Rick,
Most folks don't know about the Willys / Kaiser patent plate behind the seat. When the buy a M series Willys and the dash serial tag is missing they just shop for a used tag and stick it on there and voila you have a jeep with two serials and a lot of confused folks. A few folks want to believe that THEIR Willys came from the factory that way. I find that hard to believe. It is easier to believe the Army inadvertantly switched them during a serial tag inventory or something.

At any rate I would go with the tag serial behind the seat. Keep in mind that Kaiser stamped the factory 5 digit model prefix in front of the 5 digit serial. So the last five digits and the military prefix MD-Axxxxx would be you correct serial.
Wes K
45 MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ3B, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D, Bantam T3-C MVPA22099

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”