USAF M38A1's

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
azkkn
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

USAF M38A1's

Post by azkkn » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:39 am

My Father and I just picked up a pair of 1953 M38A1 jeeps this fall. They are an october of 53, and a november of 53, and both jeeps have USAF on the data plates, not US Army. Both are also Strata blue under the layers of paint. I really like semi gloss OD, but we are both thinking that they should be done up as air force jeeps. should be pretty cool when they are both done.

I am looking forward to getting started on mine this summer. Definitely going to get, and need a full frame off restoration. I already picked up a really clean take off tub for mine. Still going to need a floor kit, and some fenders. I am going to re do it, and use it as a summer toy for the wife and I to cruise around in for fun.

Any one else have a USAF M38a1?
1944 Ford GPW
194? T-16 universal carrier

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: USAF M38A1's

Post by muttguru » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 am

azkkn......... have a look at this fairly recent page:- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=281661

Some photos of yours would be appreciated....post them on here if you get the time.
Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

azkkn
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by azkkn » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:39 am

I will have to take some photos of it some time when the snow is gone, and I can get it in the shop. Right now its in civil defense trim, orange with faded markings. It does run really well and drive. No brakes, but it hasn't stopped me from a few trips on some trails around the property here in low range first gear. The jeep runs awesome. I am going to replace the tub with one I got that came out of West Virginia, and swap all the tags over. The new tub needs a couple of hat channels, and has one rust spot in the center of the rear floor and a couple in the front. I plan on doing a full floor replacement and all new hat channels. The frame and running gear are all complete, so I will be stripping it down, cleaning it up, and replacing what needs to be replaced. I am not doing a museum quality restoration, more like a motor pool grade. I want to drive it.. A lot. So it'll be clean, correct, and safe, but not necessarily 100% new.

My big problem is that I have too many projects. I am building a corvette for a buddy right now, then I need to do some repairs and maintenance on my drag truck, and then after that, I plan on getting the jeep in and stripped down.
1944 Ford GPW
194? T-16 universal carrier

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 pm

oh man I LOVE strate blue jeeps. I feel they look the best out of all the colors.
Chris
1954 M38A1

samned
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by samned » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I am just about done with my M38a1. It is a 1952 model and it was originally a US Army Jeep. Just like you I wanted something different than the common Army Semi Gloss OD Green Jeep. The Jeep was mostly complete with the rear cut out to make a tailgate. After a lot of work it is about finished. I am going to attach a few photos of my project before repairs and what it looks like now. Hope to have it done within the next few months. The wiring harness was in bade shape, and due to the high cost for a replacement , I converted it to 12 volt and am in the process of making a wiring harness. Jeep is not going to be 100 % correct as I wanted it for a driver, I went ahead and had the interior sprayed with Raptor bedliner that I had color matched to the Strata Blue Paint. I know some of the purists might not like the bedlinen material but it really looks good and went on very easy.

[URL=http://s178.photobucket.com/user/Samned ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:33 pm

The Strata Blue came out nice. It's tempting me.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

samned
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by samned » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 pm

It is gillespie paint thinned with xylene with a small amount of hardener. The hardener gave it a little more gloss, but the paint seems to be a little tougher than without.
I am glad that I went with the Strata Blue, the only other color I considered was Navy Gray. I just wanted something a little different.

Maverick1701
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Maverick1701 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I LOVE strata blue jeeps....they just get my motor running.
Kudos on an AWESOME rig!
Chris
1954 M38A1

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”