No fire after a 4-5 year sit

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
CharlieCnTx
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
No fire after a 4-5 year sit

Post by CharlieCnTx » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:56 am

Trying to get my fathers a1 running after a 5 yr or so sit. Ran fine when last parked. Have gone through the fuel system and rebuilt the carb. Tried cranking today while spraying ether, no so much as even a flutter.

I've never worked on a points vehicle before, first car was a '74 p/up that had HEI. Also would like some direction on the spark plug wires so I don't break one somehow and have to replace one.

Can I get some ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
Charlie

Thunderbird712
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: No fire after a 4-5 year sit

Post by Thunderbird712 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:04 am

In the TM 9-8014 there is a troubleshooting section starting on page 79. Under Engine their is a list of things to check for "Engine turns but will not start". This is a good starting point and would help to narrow down the problem to a certain system to focus further questions. Additionally, it will help the experts here focus their responses. If you don't have a copy of the manual I can email it to you.

Also if aren't a member I would highly recommend going over to willysmjeeps.com and becoming a member. You can download all the manuals for free their and it is focused on M-series jeeps.
TJ Zackman
1945 Willys MB, 430923, 3/28/45
Scored 98.375% at 2019 MVPA Convention York, PA

1953 M38A1, 69248, 12/53, 20999713
MVPA# 37298

dlevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by dlevy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi,

I would start by lightly burnishing the points and then check for a spark if still nothing.

Dave

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Do not over tighten the waterproof spark plug wires, especially at the plugs. Wrenching them up can curl the edge of the sparkplug barrel over, when this happens the red insulating rubber can be caught on the edge of the sparkplug causing the rubber insulator to tear or pull apart. It is best to install the wires just finger tight at the plugs and "just snug" at the cap.
Be careful when installing the distributor cap assy not to pinch those two lead wires on the coil, causing a bare spot that will short out the coil.
Get yourself the TM for the Jeep, it illustrates and explains how to remove the entire breaker plate in order to install new point, it's much easier that way.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

CharlieCnTx
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by CharlieCnTx » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I've tried registering at WillysMjeeps twice now, but never get the account activated. Thunderbird, I'll PM you my email address.

By burnishing the points, do you mean opening them and filing the contacts a bit? I do have a points file.

To remove the distributor cap, nothing special I take it, just remove the perimeter screws and lift off? Same on plugs, light loosen and should just come off?

Thanks,
Charlie

dlevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by dlevy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi Charlie

Burnishing is like polishing where filing is removing material.

The point contact surfaces are plated so you do not want to file through the coating. The goal of burnishing is to clean the contact surfaces of the points so they make good contact and allow flow of current. You can take a burnishing tool or points file and sit it between the points and just pull it out. The spring tension of the points allows enough pressure on the tool to clean them.

When a vehicle sits the points oxidize and not allow you to get a spark.

Dave

dlevy
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by dlevy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Also no tricks on removing the cap and rotor. They only go on one way.

Dave

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:49 am

Pick out your most crispy dollar bill fold it a couple times and brush it back and forth between the points. The linin in the bill will wipe off oily film and oxidation.
Do not try to change points with the breaker plate in place, remove it per the TM Instructions.
The M-38A1 TM is a must have, it will not make a Jeep Mechanic out of you, but will describe correct installation/removal procedures that are unique to M-Series Jeeps.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:15 am

Friends jeep sat in the garage for several years, I towed it in gear with ignition off to prime all the fuel pump and circulate oils, then tried with ignition on, popping the clutch without success. Tossed in a brand new battery and she started after three spins. Need enough voltage to create a spark in the first place, I'd start with a fresh battery and cleaned terminals. Towing it around in gear with the ignition off will ensure it spins freely and the fuel system pumps up fuel to the carb without killing battery juice or using ether.
V/R W Winget

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 am

Does it have the 100Amp Alternator? If it does it will not generate electricity with flat batteries. The 25 Amp 24 Volt Generator has residual magnetism and will generate power even with flat batteries.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”