low voltage at amp meter

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
mtcowboy
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

low voltage at amp meter

Post by mtcowboy » Tue May 05, 2015 5:47 pm

After looking at the wiring for the temp gauge and saw that it's missing a wire from the spider wiring, the amp gauge only registers in the yellow. Checking voltage I have 19.7 volts. I know I need to get a new spider wire but what is uo with the low voltage? I'm betting that I need to rebuild the generator? Thanks
53 m38a1 original 23,000 miles a daily driver

mtcowboy
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: low voltage at amp meter

Post by mtcowboy » Wed May 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Update, I had a loose wire and got it chargeing. I found out that I have a M170 battery gauge with the 4 wire spider harness. This leaves the temp gauge with out the proper wire. I found a 5 wire harness but it SAYS IT IS USED FOR M series vehicles with rubber shell connectors on the gauges. Would that fit with the douglas connectors?
53 m38a1 original 23,000 miles a daily driver

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by skyjeep50 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:52 am

First, go over to the Willys M Jeeps web site and look through the "Downloads" section for all the technical resources and manuals dealing with your jeep. See: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules. ... oad&cid=57
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules. ... ght=parker
Then you will have a better understanding of how it all fits together. You can use a voltage meter with your jeep instead of the old amp gauge and you can convert a five wire spider harness but you'll have to match the ends to the gauge's connectors - Parker to Parker or Douglas to Douglas. Its pretty easy - you can buy the parts and solder and crimp the correct ends on the harness. On my M38 I converted to all late M-series Parker-equipped gauges mainly because they seemed to be more plentiful and cheaper in the spare parts arena. But there are repro Douglas gauges as well.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu May 07, 2015 5:14 am

The Instrument panel 4 and 5 wire Spider Harnesses with Packard (Rubber)and Douglas (Metal) connectors are available thru many of the MV parts dealers who advertise in Army Motors.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu May 07, 2015 7:45 am

Appears that you have the Bat/Gen Indicator,Bat/Gen Indicator has a Red, Yellow, Green scale. Was that voltage with the engine revving or a reading across the batteries with the engine off? If you determine the regulator is at fault, don't waste time monkeying with it, install a new GI Surplus 25 AMP Solid State Regulator. They stay in perfect adjustment until they die.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”