Carter YS float

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
dlwm38a1
G-Civilian

Carter YS float

Post by dlwm38a1 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:20 am

Good day gentlemen. I have been looking everywhere for a new float for my Carter YS950. Does anyone know of some place that still sells them? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

willystexas
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Carter YS float

Post by willystexas » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:45 am

You might try mikescarb.com I believe it comes in his YF kits too.
1954 M38A1 MD 74751

Yarder
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Re: Carter YS float

Post by Yarder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:59 am

This float was made and designed for repair, not replacement.

My float had a bad seal and had gas in it, thus changing it's ability to float. It's a very simple fix, and won't cost you anything. If you look closely to the float, there's a silver section on one of the sides. That's the seal. I took mine and removed the solder to expose the hole.

Then, I immersed the float in a pan of boiling water. Any remaining gasoline will quickly vaporize and bubbles will come out the hole. I used tongs to keep the float under water. I have sensitive hands! When the bubbles slow down, take the float out, shake it a bit and let it way cool down. Continue this process until the bubble cease to come out. When cooling down, have the hole facing upwards to allow for the escape of more vapor.

When the bubbles nearly quit when doing this, it is just plain air expansion, and you're done. Shake the float and listen for any liquid in there. If there's none, then you're ready to seal it back up. Tin the float and heat a goober of solder to seal up the hole.

Lastly, to check your seal, once again immerse the float, this time, under room temperature water. Hot water would cause the gasses to expand and would blow your seal. Room temp will just show bubble trying to go up.

Install the float, follow the TM to adjust the float on the arm for the proper setting. The setting could change due to the different weight of the float due to the changes in the solder seal.

Then, you're ready to hit the road once again!
1953 Willys M38A1, SN 52612

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”