electrical/starter question

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
rowdyrod
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

electrical/starter question

Post by rowdyrod » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:23 am

Hello Everyone,

I did some damage and not sure what action to take. I have a 52 which had been sitting idle in the garage for some time. I had it running before, but ive been busy with family and other home projects so it hasnt gotten much attention. Its a 24v system and the electrical wiring harness was replaced and working prior to the long term storage. Anyways, I hooked up a battery charger and set it for the "jump start" setting which puts out 50volts. I cranked up the starter and after a few turns i heard an electrical pop and spark, and the electrical system died. I rechecked everything and unplugged the battery charger.

When i turn the ignition to ON, i see the voltage on the battery gauge in the yellow. When i push the starter pedal and it makes contact, it quickly shoots to the red, as if there is a short or a ground in the starter.

So my question is, did i fry my starter, or is it an issue with the voltage regulator. I know both are expensive, so trying to figure out what i should concentrate on troubleshooting. Could it be fixed by myself or does it need to be replaced?

I did already try to unscrew the positive feed to the voltage regular and just connect the starter to the battery. But the starter did not crank over at all. Common sense would say its the starter, but would prefer to get feedback from the experienced forum before dishing out for a new starter.

Thanks.

skyjeep50
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: electrical/starter question

Post by skyjeep50 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 am

Sounds like you have a problem with your starter. Long term storage - did some little critters get into your electrical system and perhaps chew up some insulation somewhere? That would cause a short. Otherwise you should do some comprehensive troubleshooting. You can find repair, parts and troubleshooting manuals and guides over at www.willysmjeep.com in the "Downloads" section. Register at the site and you will have access to all the support materials you need to find your problem. If it is the starter you may be able to find an auto electrical repair shop that can fix it - they are pretty basic starters.

rowdyrod
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by rowdyrod » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Its not the cabling as its all good with no breaks, but I guess I wouldn't know about inside the starter. I do have a manual for the jeep which has been pretty useful on other parts. I think the problem was because of overcharging from the battery charger and something shorting out. I'll call around some electrical motor shops and get some quotes.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Remove and disassemble the starter switch, you may get lucky and discover that you burned out the switch. The inside is just a plunger that contacts the end of the copper bolt. Switches are available.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

2/14Marine
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 2/14Marine » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:03 pm

I'd check the switch to. I had something similar happen to my A1. Tried to start it. Sparks and smoke went everywhere. It melted the switch housing.

Javier
LtCol USMC R
1954 M38A1
1941 GP 9270 DOD 4-6-41
1942 MB 121796, DOD 2-23-42, USMC 37141

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”