Cause of a "Loose" Wheel

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
FrankenJeep
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Cause of a "Loose" Wheel

Post by FrankenJeep » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Ben Dover wrote:The A-1488 lines (S-Tubes) can be tricky, sometimes it is easier to install them by removing the clip that locks the hose to the guard as it gives you wiggle room. It also helps to leave the flare nuts loose until both nuts are started. If your brake drums are removed, you can also back off the mounting bolts for the wheel cylinders to make the task easier.
While we are on the subject of "wobble", mine does this at 30-35 MPH +. I'm thinking mine is in loose steering parts, but I don't know where to start looking for the cause. I say that because of the lost motion in the steering wheel and "loosey goosey" feel. If I get above 35, it starts shaking badly. Where would you start looking for this?

If I can get this fixed, I'm almost done (compared to where I was 2 years ago).

"Willis" needs steering fixed, correct muffler (one there OK, but not the correct one), needs ring job as it smokes some and burns oil, one valve clicks, a seat cushion repaired (vinyl), and rear shocks. But I can do these things as time and sparse $$ permits. Other than that, the Jeep runs out pretty well. I think the steering should be first on the list. Whaddya think is making it shake. Is it at the wheel like the one above, or is the loosey-goosey steering due to worn parts from the sector down?

Thanks.

FrankenJeep
FrankenJeep

Laztlain
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Laztlain » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm

By no means do I have anywhere near the knowledge of many others on this forum, but I can at least let you know what pointed me at the kingpin bearings being a prime suspect in my case.

The test was to jack up the jeep so the front tire was off the ground, and then try to "rock" the tire by firmly gripping the top and bottom and then pushing in at the top while pulling out at the bottom (and vice-versa). In my case the driver side tire did not rock at all, but the passenger side tire did. It is my understanding that this could be caused by either wheel bearings or kingpin bearings. When the tire was able to be moved, I took a closer look at where the movement was coming from - the entire steering knuckle was moving at the bottom which was another indicator that the kingpin bearing was likely the cause.

Again please realize that I have only had my jeep for a couple years and am still learning more every day. Hopefully this info will help you at least to eliminate potential cause(s).

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm thinking mine is in loose steering parts, but I don't know where to start looking for the cause.
Am I correct in that the most likely cause of the wheel "rocking" in and out is the kingpin bearings / cups?
John early in this thread wrote:Not necessarily.
We usually like to diagnose & know exactly where we need to concentrate.
You were on the right track initially, but missed the important part if you are checking wheel bearings v/s swivel pin bearings.
Jack up & rock like you were doing but have someone on hand to apply the brake when rocking the wheel top & bottom.
Any marked alteration to movement indicates wheel bearing related adjustment/issue because applying the brake eliminates the wheel bearing from the equation.
If there is still movement when the brake is applied what remains is related to swivel pin bearings.
Once you have done this NOW with the wheels on the ground have someone rock the steering wheel through it's area of movement while observing every link in the steering system for movement [there should be next to none]:
Steering box sector shaft [in & out movement]
Pitman arm [ball]
Drag link [both ends]
Bell crank [ball, tie rod & pin]
All tie rod ends
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:21 pm

How's the steering knuckle bearings on the other side?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Laztlain
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Laztlain » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:23 am

Ben Dover wrote:How's the steering knuckle bearings on the other side?
I think they are ok because there is no longer a wobble and the tire does not rock. However, based on the condition of the bearings I replaced on the passenger side I would still like to at least examine and repack the driver side bearings if not replace them as well. But first I want to enjoy this smooth ride for a while :wink:

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 am

It will be a good idea to service the other side as it experienced exactly the same type use as the other. Plan on new trunion bearings, and it will be a good time to check out the short brake hose.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Laztlain
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Laztlain » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:41 am

Very good points. I'll plan on it.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 am

No gasket cement required on the shims, just wipe a light film of the bearing grease on the mand it will protect against moisture and avoid the unnecessary sticky fingers and shims from gasket sealer.

Dokimos
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by Dokimos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 am

Dear Sir,

I had a similar experience with my front system around 40-45 mph and especially when I hit a bump,

The problem was that from the steering knuckles adjustment, I had installed more sim plates than necessary and the steering was very light without the proper absorption.

I followed the procedure discribed in the TM9-8015-2 page 186, be carefull to install shims only at the top as Ben told above.

You may have to repeat this procedure a couple of times unitl your steering is heavy enough to stop the play

Ioannis Sav. Kalymnos
Professional Mechanical Engineer, Greek Army Reserve Armor Lieutenant
M37, M38, M38A1C, M100

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:54 am

The Steering Knuckle PM is one of the most overlooked or neglected items on the Jeep, and once correctly performed, eliminates many of the steering problems that do not seem to go away after all other front end work is done.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”