Trying To Get Lights Working!

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Bob M.
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Trying To Get Lights Working!

Post by Bob M. » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:04 am

I finally got around to installing my new wiring harness from VWoM. It looked great and installed fairly easily. However, when I tried using my light switch, only the dash lights and blackout marker lights would turn on. I don't think the harness or my installation is the problem. I suspect it's the 3-lever switch itself. Prior to installing the harness, I drove around for years (just on my property) without any lights whatsoever, so I've never used the switch until last night. So, my questiions are:

1) Is there something simple here that I'm overlooking before I replace the switch?
2) Is there a way to easily trouble-shoot/fix the switch, or is it one of those components that you just have to replace?
3) When the BO marker lights were on, only the l/h rear marker light came on......shouldn't the r/h rear marker light have come on as well?

Even though the lights still don't work....at least my horn does now!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Trying To Get Lights Working!

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:14 am

Recheck the mounting bolts for your tail lights, loosen them and retighten. There should be 3/8" toothed washers on those bolts.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Make sure the lower left lever is not in Park
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 pm

I have had switches that have sat up and not used quit working when put back in service . This has worked for me on several occasions . Hold the unlock lever down and work the switch vigorously thru the whole range 10 to 20 times . Warren Duchesne

wilfreeman
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by wilfreeman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Have you checked for voltage at the headlight connectors? Maybe a ground problem? Just a thought.
Matt
All I have left is an M762
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)

Bob M.
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Bob M. » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, between adding a couple star washers, ensuring good ground connections, vigorously working the switch, and installing a bulb, I've gotten the BO headlight/markers and the headlights to work. However, I still can't get the brake-lights to work. When I switch to the stop-light position, nothing comes on; the service light does not illuminate, and the brake-lights don't work when depressing the brake. When I switch to service light position, the headlights and service light illuminates, but the brake-lights don't work when depressing the brake. Is there something simple I'm overlooking? Does it matter which connectors attach to the two-pronged brake switch at the master cylinder (they're both #75). I feel like maybe the switch is bad, since the service light does illuminate on "service light", but not on "stop-light".

Comments?

wilfreeman

Post by wilfreeman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:22 pm

If you think the switch is bad (very possible), connect the 2 male wires together with a connector - if the brake lights come on, the switch is bad. You can use a regular cj brake light switch with 2 male terminals in the place of the military one - just slide the connector over each male terminal. When I did this it didn't last very long for some reason, but it will work in an emergency.
Matt
All I have left is an M762
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”