Title/Registration of M38a1

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
rowdyrod
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Title/Registration of M38a1

Post by rowdyrod » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello Everyone,

I did a search for previous posts and just wanted to get some fresh feedback. I have a 52 M38A1 USMC version, but it does not have any data plates. I was thinking of using the Engine SN as the serial number when i register at the DMV, and yes, i am aware that the engine and data plate serial numbers hardly ever match. I do not have a title and need to apply for one. I require a VIN number in order to apply for a title. Would this be a compatible use as a VIN if i stencil this number into a new data plate?

If not, the VIN application asks for type of vehicle and the closest thing i could find is a "specially constructed motor vehicle" option.

I plan to register it as an antique so it wont require yearly inspections and since i wont be driving it much. Anybody have any ideas on the easiest method of registering without all the hassles when attempting to get a title created?

redraider
G-Private
G-Private
Re: Title/Registration of M38a1

Post by redraider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:33 am

I just acquired an M38A1 w/o data plates and have been going through the steps to get title.

First, have you checked for a data plate behind the passenger seat on the wheel well? I found one, but of course didn't have any numbers on it after I removed the paint.

If not, then what you have to do is get a "Certificate of Title Surety Bond" from an insurance company. My insurance guy went through Traveler's. Cost me $100. I don't know what state you are in. In Texas I take the bond, some government forms, appraisal certificate, and a weight certificate to a hearing at the courthouse. My understanding is that all these old cars get approved.

opelspyder
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by opelspyder » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:33 pm

I have just purchased a 1954 M38A1 but both tags have been stamped a 6 digit number, and the body tag on the wheel well matches the title, but has 000000000XXXXXX as the title has. The engine has a MD6XXXX which seems to be what the VIN numbers should be. Should I just leave it, and restamp the tags a bit nicer than the P.O., or would it be worth it to have it titled under the engine number? I can get a title for $80.00 with that in mind, or I might be able to get them to change it...maybe???? It is election time..lol. Whats your guys opinion?

Kendall
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Kendall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 am

It all depends on which state you are in. I live in Kansas and all three of my jeeps are titled with the engine serial number as their VIN. Check with your local authorities.
Kendall

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”