Color of leatherette seat covers

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.
Red
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Color of leatherette seat covers

Post by Red » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:54 am

Pizzoferato sent me my order of A1 leatherette seat covers and I finally opened the box today. I was surprised at the color- straightforward OD- same as the seat frames in color (one of which is NOS).

Why surprised? Well, the back seat on my A1 had the leatherette covers on it- the seat portion pretty worn out but the back rest still functional. The color, before cleaning, was gray. After cleaning, it is gray green. I think these are the original 57yr old covers.

Have others found the original leatherette to be more of a gray/green? Does the OD fade to this color? I have no doubt of Dave's research into the correct color for the leatherette. My guess is that the color was OD, but that as the fabric aged, it developed a sort of chalky powder on it, giving it a grayish tint. That, combined with the simple fading of the OD, could give the covers a grayish look.

Anybody else find this to be the case?
'54 M38A1 SN 71522 DOD 2-54 Hood # 201001152
'53 Strick M100 SN 79

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Color of leatherette seat covers

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 am

The OEM Seat Covers used on the M-38/M-38A1 are Willys "Code 12 Olive Drab, Vinylite" which appear to be on the gray side of OD. The Weebie cover material is superior to the factory vinyls used on the 50's-60's M-series vehicles, the OD color looks nice on MV seats.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Red
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Red » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Without punching any holes for the screws, I test fit the cushions/covers on the NOS seat frame and couldn't tell where the seat ended and the covers began- the color is that close! But I would have preferred the little bit of gray in the color of the covers- I like some contrast.

As for the quality of the material used then and now, I looked at the back side of the leatherette still on the seat- it seems pretty solidly made, with a high quality backing. But, I have not put the new ones on yet and can't say how they fit, feel and last.

Also, the texture/embossing seems a little different between old and new- like the color- close, but not exact.
'53 Strick M100 SN 79

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:23 am

I actually sent an NOS boxed early 50s Leatherette seat cover to the supplier for duplication purposes. The result is a perfect match in color and texture that is indistinguishable from the original. The original vinylite was made by applying and embossing a coating over cotton duck. It was discovered thru time that weather and temperature had adverse effects on this material. The stuff that I had made uses the latest processes for heavy industrial and transportation seating materials and is far superior to the cotton duck coated originals.

There was a synthetic backed leatherette that was less grainy and more greyish in the early 60s. Is there a chance that this is what is on your rear seat?
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Red
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Red » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:34 am

Dave- thanks for jumping in on this.

Your mention of a '60s synthetic version with a greyish tint and less grainy sounds much closer to what I had on the back seat (original front seats were mostly gone- Bubba got to them- so I can't say what the covers there looked like). But it's possible the 60s look is what I have. One thing about the old covers- they are not home made- they look very much military issue in fit and quality. The springs and associated filling are still on it. I'm thinking that I might put them back on the seat frame temporarily and take a couple pictures for you. I can also take a piece of the cover off the bottom of the seat ;it's pretty torn up, but has plenty of good material there to give you an idea of what I have. I can also send you some of the filling it came with.You say that it was syntehetic- there is a horsehair like material in between the springs and seat cover- it looks like a synthetic meant to duplicate horsehair. I can send that to you in a large envelope.

I assumed these were original issue by the condition, etc. Perhaps this is just another example of how an original vehicle can change over time- and still be military issue.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another color you had shipped by mistake. The seats look fine and I am looking forward to installing them.

Disregard the message I left at your office. :)
'53 Strick M100 SN 79

Cuz
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Cuz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 am

Keep in mind that military fabric shops locally fabricated collectively thousands of replacement seat covers over the vehicle's military life and what you percieve as original may just be a well made military replacement cover. During my 22 years in both the Army and the Air Force I saw our fab shops making thousands of replacement covers for all type vehicles and aircraft and they were done usually to a Mil Spec and packaged and marked with the original cover's FSN and then placed in the local stores (supply) system. The material used was standard mil spec stocks and in some cases locally procured material.

A 50 year old seat and cushion can easily have a 40 year old replacement cover on it well made in an industrial type military fab shop and issued from the supply system.
Cuz (AKA Wes K)
45 MB, 51 M38, 54 M37, 6? M101A1, 60 CJ5, 76 DJ5D & 47 T3-C

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 am

Or they could be ordered directly from Jeep by original Willys part number thru authorized Jeep Factory Parts Departments thru the 80's.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

Red
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Red » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm gradually finding out that claiming "original" is akin to stepping out into a minefield- not for the inexperienced or unlucky :?
'53 Strick M100 SN 79

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 pm

It is nearly 30 years too late encounter quantities of the 50's era G-740/G-758 OD Vinyl M-38/M-38A1 seat cushions or covers from Jeep or Surplus stock. The Ordnance Support Units usually had personnel trained in canvas repair that would recover the Jeep Seats, repair Canvas etc. The Maine National Guard Ordnance Unit had a Machinist that repaired canvas when he had time, he would try to keep a supply of covers for the Jeeps and other wheeled vehicles. The vinyl replacement material used was identical to the material from Jeep, but not nearly as good as the current material from Weebie. Ross Moir bought a roll of surplus material a few years back and sold it to one of the repro canvas dealers, it was gone in a flash.
My Closed Cab CCKW has OD Vinyl Seat Covers from Weebie, the seats are much more comfortable than the original type used by Jeep as it is not as stiff.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:16 am

The GI shops often used the same color vinyl to recover M-38/M-38A1 Seats as was used on the 50's GI Office furniture.

Return to “M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base”