Voltage Regulator location M38a1

1952 - 1968, M38A1, M170, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the M38a1 series.

Voltage Regulator location M38a1

Postby Builder92 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 am

Hello, I have a 1955 M38A1 and I need to weld a Voltage Regulator mount on the frame. Does anyone have a picture of one in place and also a measurement of how far to set it from the motor mount?
Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: Voltage Regulator location M38a1

Postby skyjeep50 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 am

The regulator mount appears to be attached with bolts - not welded, on the frame. If you have a A1 frame you should be able to see the bolt holes. On my M38A1 the regulator mount is placed 1 1/2 inches to the rear of the right motor mount plate. Some excellent pics are available over at Willys M Jeeps www.willysmjeeps.com in the "Photo Gallery". Log in over there to take a gander. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules. ... _photo.php
1 - M38
1 - M38A1
skyjeep50
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Postby w30bob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Sky,

I remember looking at my regulator mount frame last time I was under my A1. I'm pretty sure the regulator mounting frame is welded to my frame. Not the plate the regulator is bolted to, the framework underneath it. I saw one on eBay (link is below) and it was cut off the frame and the description noted that it needed to be welded on. So I think you're correct in regards to the actual part the regulator mounts to.....but that part mounts to a frame underneath it that is welded to the frame......and I think that is what Builder is referring to. But I'll check again when I go home later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Willys-M38 ... 5c&vxp=mtr

regards,
bob
w30bob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Postby Builder92 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Bob, exactly, in fact that is precisely the one I bought off eBay that you posted a link to.
A picture of your would be great if you don't mind, as well as a measurement from the motor mount to the bracket.
Thanks.
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Postby w30bob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 am

Hi Builder,

Can do. As soon as I get home from work tonight I can snap some pics and take a measurement.

regards,
bob
w30bob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Postby w30bob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:48 am

Builder,

I lied.........I just couldn't get to it last night.........folks called and said they were coming for a visit today so I had to scramble to get the place presentable. But I just went out and took a look. It's a bit tough getting a good pic, with the driveshaft in the way, but here's what you need to know. Measuring from the frame bracket that the motor mount bolts to..........to the front edge of the regulator plate (the flat plate on top of the regulator mounting frame) is exactly 1 inch. From that same motor mount bracket to the first leg of the mounting frame is 6 1/2 inches. The two legs of the regulator frame mount are equal distance from the leaf spring rear shackle........meaning the shackle is right smack dab in the middle between the two mounting frame rails. Here's some pics, as best I could. If you need more info just shout.

thanks,
bob

w30bob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Postby Builder92 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Great thanks.
Do you think that metal plate (shield) on top of the bracket is original?
And can you send measurements on how large that plate is incase I add one on top of the mount I am welding on?
Builder92
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Postby w30bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:00 am

Hi Builder,

Well, to be honest I can't guarantee that it is original, but from the pics I've seen of the same plate when I Google M38A1 Regulator..........it seems to be. It's different from the plate used on the M38, which uses a smaller one. Mine's a little bent up, as you can see, but I just got my jeep a few months ago and really haven't gone thru the whole thing. The plate is really what determines where the frame gets welded on the jeep frame rail, as under the plate, between the plate and the frame, is a small "U" channel that separated the plate from the frame rail. I'll see if I can get a decent pic of it tonight. You can also take a look at Wes' photo album over at willysmjeeps.com. Gotta get to work!

later,
bob
w30bob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Return to M38a1 Technical Knowledge Base